Gary Holt (musician)
Gary Holt with Slayer in 2012
|Birth name||Gary Wayne Holt|
May 4, 1964 |
Richmond, California, US
|Labels||Combat, Capitol, Nuclear Blast|
|Associated acts||Exodus, Slayer|
|Schecter Gary Holt Signature V Model
Bernie Rico Jr. Gary Holt Signature V
Gary Wayne Holt (born May 4, 1964 in Richmond, California) is an American guitarist from the San Francisco Bay Area. He is the lead guitarist of thrash metal bands Exodus and Slayer. Holt will also record guitar tracks on Slayer's eleventh studio album but will not have any writing contributions on the album.
After guitarist Tim Agnello left Exodus in 1981, Gary Holt joined the band and has been the main songwriter and the most senior member of the group ever since. Following Kirk Hammett's 1983 departure from Exodus to join Metallica, Holt kept the band going and during a lot of years, he and Rick Hunolt were referred to as the Exodus' "H-Team" guitar players. Holt is the only member of Exodus who has played on every album.
Gary endorses guitars by Schecter Guitar Research and has a signature model through them, but previously used Ibanez, B.C. Rich and Jackson Guitars. In October 2008, Holt released an instructional guitar video called "A Lesson In Guitar Violence". He also produced Warbringer's second album, Waking into Nightmares.
On February 12, 2011, it was announced that Holt would be temporarily filling in for Jeff Hanneman in the band Slayer. Holt also played with Slayer for the Big 4 Concert in Indio California on April 23, 2011, as well as Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin, Texas on November 6, 2011. Holt is still touring with Slayer and agreed to fill in after Jeff Hanneman died on May 2, 2013.
Holt's main guitar influences are Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Schenker, Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Uli Jon Roth, Matthias Jabs and Ted Nugent. His favorite bands include Venom, Motörhead, Black Sabbath, early Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.
Gary Holt is married to Lisa Perticone and has 2 daughters. Lisa Perticone has a teenage daughter. The two currently are living in Pinole, California.
Outside of music, Holt enjoys foreign and period films. He is also an avid watcher of cable news channels, pursuant to his interest in U.S. politics. According to Holt, the track "War is my Shepherd" on the album Tempo of the Damned is a treatise of America's "pro-god" and "pro-war" stance and how he feels the two beliefs are incompatible with each other.
Holt endorsed Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election, and stated:
- "I used to have a lot of respect for McCain, but he realized after the dirty defeat that he suffered at the hands of George W. Bush in the South Carolina primary in the (2000) election that he can only get elected if he plays the Karl Rove tactic b.s. He’s doing it. It’s just one debunked lie after the other. He’s the kind of guy who will tell you the sky is red, you look up and it’s blue, and he won’t admit he’s wrong. He’s playing dirty politics. Palin is just terrifying, the thought of this lady being a heart attack away from having the nuclear codes. She’s crazy and she’s dumb."
In the 2004 election, Holt vouched for John Kerry, but conceded:
- "...they're all dirty crooks, all politicians. But at least (Kerry) wasn't a coward. He fought in Vietnam whereas George W. Bush Jr. was a draft dodger."
Gary Holt has played guitar on all of the albums listed, Unless otherwise stated.
- 1982 1982 Demo
- 1985 Bonded By Blood
- 1987 Pleasures of the Flesh
- 1989 Fabulous Disaster
- 1990 Impact Is Imminent
- 1991 Good Friendly Violent Fun
- 1992 Lessons in Violence
- 1992 Force of Habit
- 1997 Another Lesson in Violence
- 2004 Tempo of the Damned
- 2005 Shovel Headed Kill Machine
- 2007 The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A
- 2008 Let There Be Blood
- 2010 Exhibit B: The Human Condition
- 2009 Waking into Nightmares (Producer)
- www.metal-invader.com: Gary Holt Interview
- heavymetal.about.com: Gary Holt Interview
- metal-rules.com: Gary Holt Interview
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gary Holt.|