Gary Holt (musician)
Gary Holt with Slayer in 2012
|Birth name||Gary Wayne Holt|
May 4, 1964 |
Richmond, California, US
|Labels||Combat, Capitol, Nuclear Blast|
|Associated acts||Exodus, Slayer|
|Schecter Gary Holt Signature V Model
Bernie Rico Jr. Gary Holt Signature V
- Main article Exodus.
After guitarist Tim Agnello left Exodus in 1981, Gary Holt joined the band and has been the main songwriter and the most senior member of the group ever since. Following Kirk Hammett's 1983 departure from Exodus to join Metallica, Holt kept the band going and during a lot of years, he and Rick Hunolt were referred to as the Exodus' "H-Team" guitar players. Holt is the only member of Exodus who has played on every album.
- Main article Slayer.
On February 12, 2011, it was announced that Holt would be temporarily filling in for Jeff Hanneman in the band Slayer. Holt also played with Slayer for the Big 4 Concert in Indio California on April 23, 2011, as well as Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin, Texas on November 6, 2011. Holt is still touring with Slayer and agreed to fill in after Jeff Hanneman died on May 2, 2013. He will also record guitar tracks on Slayer's eleventh studio album but will not have any writing contributions on the album.
For amplification, he currently uses a Marshall DSL100H and Kemper Profiling amp. In the past, he has used a modified Marshall JCM800, Marshal JVM, Peavey Triple XXX, and Engl Savage 120. Before using the DSL100H and Marshall JVM amps with Slayer, Holt made use of Jeff Hanneman's touring rack.
Holt's main guitar influences are Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Schenker, Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Uli Jon Roth, Matthias Jabs and Ted Nugent. His favorite bands include Venom, Motörhead, Black Sabbath, early Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.
Gary Holt is married to Lisa Perticone and has 2 daughters. Lisa Perticone has a teenage daughter. The two currently are living in Pinole, California.
Outside of music, Holt enjoys foreign and period films. He is also an avid watcher of cable news channels, pursuant to his interest in U.S. politics. According to Holt, the track "War is my Shepherd" on the album Tempo of the Damned is a treatise of America's "pro-god" and "pro-war" stance and how he feels the two beliefs are incompatible with each other.
Holt endorsed Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election, and stated:
- "I used to have a lot of respect for McCain, but he realized after the dirty defeat that he suffered at the hands of George W. Bush in the South Carolina primary in the (2000) election that he can only get elected if he plays the Karl Rove tactic b.s. He’s doing it. It’s just one debunked lie after the other. He’s the kind of guy who will tell you the sky is red, you look up and it’s blue, and he won’t admit he’s wrong. He’s playing dirty politics. Palin is just terrifying, the thought of this lady being a heart attack away from having the nuclear codes. She’s crazy and she’s dumb."
In the 2004 election, Holt vouched for John Kerry, but conceded:
- "...they're all dirty crooks, all politicians. But at least (Kerry) wasn't a coward. He fought in Vietnam whereas George W. Bush Jr. was a draft dodger."
- 1982 1982 Demo
- 1985 Bonded By Blood
- 1987 Pleasures of the Flesh
- 1989 Fabulous Disaster
- 1990 Impact Is Imminent
- 1991 Good Friendly Violent Fun
- 1992 Lessons in Violence
- 1992 Force of Habit
- 1997 Another Lesson in Violence
- 2004 Tempo of the Damned
- 2005 Shovel Headed Kill Machine
- 2007 The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A
- 2008 Let There Be Blood
- 2010 Exhibit B: The Human Condition
- 1990 Asylum (Demo)
- 2008 D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N.
- 2005 Virus
- 1990 Demo 1990 (Demo)
- 1991 Epidemic
- 1998 Under (EP)
- 2010 Witchkrieg
- www.metal-invader.com: Gary Holt Interview
- heavymetal.about.com: Gary Holt Interview
- metal-rules.com: Gary Holt Interview
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gary Holt.|