|Date of birth:||January 14, 1930|
|Place of birth:||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Date of death:||May 22, 2000(aged 70)|
|Place of death:||Fresno, California|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight:||185 lb (84 kg)|
|NFL Draft:||1952 / Round: 19 / Pick 222
(by the Pittsburgh Steelers)
|Playing stats at|
Born into an Armenian family. Kerkorian attended Inglewood High School in Los Angeles, and then was a quarterback at Stanford University, where he was a three-year starter. At the end of his senior season of 1951, he held every Stanford passing record and was named a first-team All-American, leading the Indians to a 9-1 record, the Pac-8 championship, and a Rose Bowl berth. He is a member of the Stanford Athletic Hall of Fame.
He was traded the Baltimore Colts, and emerged as the starting quarterback for the 1954 season, though the Colts' record was a dismal 3-9. The Colts won the lottery bonus pick for the 1955 NFL Draft, giving them the first overall draft pick. They selected George Shaw, a quarterback from the University of Oregon, and Kerkorian was soon relegated to backup duty. (Coincidentally, Shaw was the younger brother of Tom Shaw, whom Kerkorian had replaced as starting Stanford quarterback in 1949.) The following year, the Colts acquired rookie Johnny Unitas, and Kerkorian slipped to third string.
Kerkorian left football after the 1955 season to attend law school at Georgetown University. After an injury to Unitas in 1958, the Colts called Kerkorian back from law school as a possible replacement, but he did not play.
- "Stanford Legend Gary Kerkorian Dies at Age 70". GoStanford.com. May 25, 2000. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- "The Stanford Athletic Hall of Fame". Stanford Athletics website. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- Frei, Terry (April 22, 1993). "Shaw tops a list of greats". The Oregonian. p. D01.
- "PIL Hall of Fame 2005 Inductees". Portland Interscholastic Hall of Fame. October 2005. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- "U. S. Rugby Team Victor Over Australians, 19-13". New York Times. June 14, 1953. p. S10.
- "Colts Call Kerkorian". New York Times. November 5, 1958. p. 53.