Gary King (political scientist)
Gary King is a political scientist and quantitative methodologist. He is the Albert J. Weatherhead III University Professor and Director for the Institute for Quantitative Social Science at Harvard University. King and his research group develop and apply empirical methods in many areas of social science research, focusing on innovations that span the range from statistical theory to practical application.
In 1980, King graduated summa cum laude with a B.A. in Political Science from the State University of New York at New Paltz. In 1981 he earned an M.A. and in 1984 a Ph.D. in Political Science at the University of Wisconsin (UW) in Madison.
King's career in academia began in 1984, when he became an Assistant Professor in the Department of Politics at New York University. He joined the faculty of Harvard's Department of Government in 1987 and has taught there since. He has also been a visiting fellow at Oxford University. To date, he has authored or coauthored seven books (six published and one forthcoming) and nearly 100 journal articles and book chapters.
King has co-founded data analytics companies, including Crimson Hexagon and Learning Catalytics. Crimson Hexagon is a social media analytics software company based in Boston, Massachusetts. Learning Catalytics was acquired by Pearson in April 2013.
- Demographic Forecasting (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, forthcoming), with Federico Girosi
- Ecological Inference: New Methodological Strategies (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2004), edited with Ori Rosen and Martin A. Tanner
- A Solution to the Ecological Inference Problem: Reconstructing Individual Behavior from Aggregate Data (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1997)
- Designing Social Inquiry: Scientific Inference in Qualitative Research (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1994), with Robert Keohane and Sidney Verba
- Unifying Political Methodology: The Likelihood Theory of Statistical Inference (Cambridge, UK and New York: Cambridge University Press, 1989; reprinted Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press, 1998)
- The Elusive Executive: Discovering Statistical Patterns in the Presidency (Washington, D.C.: Congressional Quarterly Press, 1988), with Lyn Ragsdale
- The Presidency in American Politics (New York and London: New York University Press, 1989), with Paul Brace and Chrstine Harrington
- "Biography". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- King, Gary. 2006. "Gary King." Harvard University. Accessed December 4, 2006: http://gking.harvard.edu/homepage.html.
- King, Gary. 2006, November 30. "Curriculum Vitae." Harvard University. Accessed December 4, 2006: http://gking.harvard.edu/vitae/vitae.pdf.
- Gary King's homepage at Harvard University
- IQSS: The Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University
|This biography of a political scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|