|Full name||Gary William Lane|
4 November 1964 |
|Peak rating||2464 (July 2001)|
Gary William Lane (born 4 November 1964, United Kingdom) is a professional chess player and author. He became an International Master in 1987 and won the Commonwealth Chess Championship in 1988. He is a highly respected author having written over twenty books on chess, including Find the Winning Move, Improve Your Chess in 7 Days and Prepare to Attack.
After his marriage to Woman International Master Nancy Jones, he moved to Australia, winning the Australian Chess Championship in 2004. He won the 2005 Oceania Chess Championship and represented Oceania at the Chess World Cup 2005.
He has also represented Australia in the 2002, 2004, and 2006 Chess Olympiads. In the 2004 Olympiad he helped Australia score a 2–2 draw with his former country England, scoring a spectacular win over Nigel Short. He has been a chess coach for England or Australia at the World Junior and also European Junior championship for over a decade.
Gary is a passionate supporter of Torquay United F.C.
- Lane, Gary (1993). Winning with the Scotch. Henry Holt. ISBN 0-8050-2940-0.
- Lane, Gary (1996). A Guide to Attacking Chess. B.T.Batsford Ltd. ISBN 0-7134-8010-6.
- Lane, Gary (1999). Victory in the Opening. Sterling Pub Co Inc. ISBN 9780713484274.
- Lane, Gary (2001). The Ultimate Colle. Sterling Pub Co Inc. ISBN 9780713486865.
- Lane, Gary (2003). Ideas Behind the Modern Chess Openings: Attacking With White. Batsford. ISBN 9780713487121.
- Lane, Gary (2004). The Bishop's Opening Explained. Batsford. ISBN 0-7134-8917-0.
- Lane, Gary (2005). Ideas Behind Modern Chess Openings: Black. Batsford. ISBN 9780713489507.
- Lane, Gary (2005). The Scotch Game Explained. Batsford. ISBN 0-7134-8940-5.
- Lane, Gary (2006). The Ruy Lopez Explained. Batsford. ISBN 0-7134-8978-2.
- Lane, Gary (2007). Improve Your chess In 7 Days. Batsford. ISBN 978-0-7134-9050-3.
- Lane, Gary (2008). The Greatest Ever Chess Tricks and Traps. Everyman Chess. ISBN 9781857445770.
- Lane, Gary (2009). Sharpen Your Chess Tactics in 7 Days. Batsford. ISBN 9781906388287.
- Lane, Gary (2011). Prepare to Attack. Everyman Chess. ISBN 978-1857446500.
- Gary W. Lane rating card at FIDE
- Gary W Lane player profile and games at Chessgames.com
- Learn Chess with Martika- computer game by Gary Lane
- Chess Questions answered by Gary Lane
|This biographical article relating to an Australian chess figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|