Gary Mason (footballer)
|Full name||Gary Mason|
|Date of birth||15 October 1979|
|Place of birth||Edinburgh, Scotland|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|1999–2000||→ Hartlepool United (loan)||6||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 4 July 2012.
† Appearances (Goals).
Mason began his career with Nationwide League One side Manchester City in 1996 and stayed with the club until 2000 making 19 first team league appearances for the Blues, and scored once in the League Cup against Notts County. He also had a loan spell at Hartlepool United.
After being released by Manchester City in 2000, Mason joined recently promoted Scottish Premier League side Dunfermline Athletic in December 2000. In his six-and-a-half years with the Pars, Mason appeared in a Scottish Cup final, a Scottish League Cup final and also played in both of Dunfermline's UEFA Cup matches against Icelandic side Hafnarfjarðar. After the Pars relegation to the Scottish First Division in 2007, Mason opted to stay in the SPL with St. Mirren, signing on a free transfer. He left the Buddies in June 2009.
After his departure from St. Mirren, Irish sides Bohemians and St. Patrick's Athletic expressed interest in signing Mason. However on 29 August 2009 it was confirmed that he had signed for Hamilton Academical on a short term contract. He was then released by Hamilton, having only made five appearances for the club.
In February 2010, Mason rejoined Dunfermline Athletic after being released by Hamilton Academical. Mason scored the winning goal against Greenock Morton in a 1-2 victory on his second debut for the Pars. During the start of pre-season for the 2012-13 season, Mason's retirement was announced by Dunfermline manager Jim Jefferies.
After retiring, Mason became a taxi driver. He lives in Prestonpans with his wife and two children.
- "Worthington Cup 1998-1999 Season". Sky Sports. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "Dunfermline set to sign City boy". BBC Sport. 2000-12-12. Retrieved 23 November 2008.
- "Larsson caps Celtic triumph". BBC Sport. 2004-05-22. Retrieved 23 November 2008.
- "Dunfermline 0-3 Celtic". BBC Sport. 2006-03-19. Retrieved 23 November 2008.
- "Hafnarfjordur 2-2 Dunfermline". BBC Sport. 2004-08-12. Retrieved 23 November 2008.
- "Dunfermline 1-2 Hafnarfjordur". BBC Sport. 2004-08-25. Retrieved 23 November 2008.
- "St Mirren sign up striker Dargo". BBC Sport. 2007-06-28. Retrieved 23 November 2008.
- "Dargo stays as two exit Buddies" BBC Sport website (26 June 2009)
- Mason and Hamilton part company, BBC Sport, 1 December 2009.
- "Gary Mason returns to DAFC". Dunfermline Athletic. 2010-02-03. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- "Manager on Day One". Dunfermline Athletic. 2012-07-04. Retrieved 4 July 2012.