Gary Mills (footballer, born 1981)
Mills playing for Stevenage Borough in the 2009 FA Trophy Final
|Full name||Gary Leonard Mills|
|Date of birth||20 May 1981|
|Place of birth||Isle of Sheppey, England|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Wrexham F.C. Assistant Manager|
|1997–1998||Rushden & Diamonds|
|1998–2006||Rushden & Diamonds||124||(0)|
|2007||Rushden & Diamonds||17||(0)|
|2010||→ Forest Green Rovers (loan)||2||(0)|
|2011||Rushden & Diamonds||20||(0)|
|2013-2014||King's Lynn Town|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14:58, 4 March 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
- 1 Career
- 2 Honours
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Rushden & Diamonds
Born in Isle of Sheppey, Mills began his career with Coventry City before joining Rushden & Diamonds in their youth system on 21 July 1997. His debut for the club, at the age of 17, came on 22 December 1998 in a Conference League Cup game away to Farnborough Town. He went on to make 16 league appearances during the 1999–2000 season, being named in the starting line-up 8 times.
Although expected to battle against relegation, the Rushden team of 2001–02 exceeded expectations by reaching the Third Division play-off final, though they lost to Cheltenham Town. During this time, Mills was still used as a fringe player, only playing 2 games.
The Diamonds continued to impress in the league, finishing first in Division Three and winning promotion the next season. Mills established himself as one of the club's first choice midfielders, playing in 30 league games. Likewise, in the next campaign, Mills played a further 30 games, though the club had far less success as they were immediately relegated back to Division Three. He did, however, score his first goal for the club that season in a 2–1 victory over Tranmere Rovers.
After the success Mills had enjoyed in the early part of his career, he was then part of the Rushden team relegated to the Conference in the 2005–06 season. He left Nene Park on 20 April 2006, his contract cancelled by mutual consent having not played since early February. Rushden's relegation from The Football League was confirmed nine days later.
Mills joined fellow Conference National side Crawley Town on 10 August 2006, though he also had an unsuccessful trial with League One side Yeovil Town in July. After six months and 21 appearances, he left the club.
Return to Rushden
Mills re-joined Rushden & Diamonds on 9 January 2007 on a short-term contract. Despite numerous managerial changes at the club, Mills became a regular in the first team squad, making 7 appearances for the remainder of the season as Rushden finished in mid-table. He was not offered a contract extension by Rushden manager Garry Hill, and left the club in May 2007.
On 24 October 2007, Mills was sacked by Tamworth following an argument with manager Gary Mills. The manager accused Mills of having "no bottle, no balls, and no discipline", regarding the player's lack of effort and reaction to being dropped from the first team. The player Mills, meanwhile, retorted that Tamworth was "the worst club [I have] ever been at."
Following his acrimonious departure from Tamworth, Mills went into talks with fellow Conference North club Kettering Town, signing for the club just three day later. He played 27 games, scoring twice, as the club stormed to promotion to the Conference National with 97 points. His contract was not renewed at the end of the season.
Mills signed for Stevenage Borough on 13 May 2008, having been previously managed by manager Graham Westley whilst he was at Rushden & Diamonds. A regular fixture in the team, Mills played 37 games, including at Wembley Stadium in Stevenage's 2–0 victory in the 2009 FA Trophy Final over York City.
Forest Green Rovers
Third spell at Rushden
After leaving Bath, Mills instantly signed for Conference North outfit, Nuneaton Town. In October 2011, Mills picked up a knee injury which ruled him out of action for three months. On 13 May 2012, Mills was a part of the Nuneaton side that was victorious in the Conference North play off final that earned promotion to the Conference National.
Lincoln City and Boston United
On Monday 21 May 2012 it was reported that Gary had signed a one-year contract with Lincoln and was named captain City. On Monday 4 March 2013 it was reported that the Lincoln City captain left the club by mutual consent. In May 2013, Mills joined Boston United. He then signed on loan for King's Lynn Town in January 2014 on a deal that lasted until the end of the season.
Rushden & Diamonds
- "Gary Mills". Rushden & Diamonds F.C. (hosted by RDFC1992). 5 August 2012. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- "Rushden 2-1 Tranmere". BBC Sport. 2004-02-25. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- "Oxford 0-0 Rushden". BBC Sport. 2004-09-11. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- "Rushden release midfielder Mills". BBC Sport. 2006-04-20. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- "Rushden defeat means relegation". BBC Sport. 2006-04-29. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- "Glovers may hand chance to Mills". BBC Sport. 2006-07-05. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- "Rushden return for defender Mills". BBC Sport. 2007-01-09. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- "Tamworth complete deal for Mills". BBC Sport. 2007-05-31. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- Clayton, Dave (24 October 2007). "Manager scathing over namesake's departure". Tamworth F.C. Retrieved 2007-11-01.
- "Poppies sign midfielder Mills". PoppiesFans.com. 2007-10-27. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- "New signings confirmed". Stevenage Borough F.C. 2008-05-12. Retrieved 2008-05-12.[dead link]
- "Stags swoop for Stevenage's Mills". BBC Sport. 2008-05-26. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- "Forest Green Rovers sign Mills, Enver-Marum and Kamara". BBC Sport. 19 October 2010. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Gary Mills set for third Rushden & Diamonds spell". BBC Sport. 13 January 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Midfielder Gary Mills joins Bath City on one-year-deal". BBC Sport. 23 May 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Mills impressed by Nuneaton set up". Non League Daily. 20 September 2011. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- "Mills loss is bitter blow for Nuneaton". Non League Daily. 6 October 2011. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Gainsborough Trinity 0-1 Nuneaton". BBC Sport. 13 May 2012.
- "Mills returns to Lynn on loan". Non League Pitchero. 4 January 2013.