Gary V. Nelson
|Gary V. Nelson|
January 28, 1953|
|Education||Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena|
|Spouse(s)||Dr. Carla Nelson|
|Title||President, Tyndale University College and Seminary|
Prior to 2010 Nelson served as General Secretary of the Canadian Baptist Ministries. Since 2004 Nelson has been one of the Vice-Presidents of the Baptist World Alliance, of which his denomination is a member-body.
He chose to pursue a calling to pastoral ministry and completed a Master of Divinity degree at Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, California in 1980. After graduation Nelson began work as a pastor in Canada, including First Baptist, Edmonton, Alberta.
In 1984, Nelson returned to Fuller Theological Seminary and enrolled in the Doctor of Ministry program. The doctoral dissertation submitted to the Seminary in 1987 was entitled "The pre-conditions necessary for evangelism in the urban context: a study on Toronto Baptist Churches."
Nelson was the Speaker for the installation ceremony of the new President of the Acadia Divinity College, Wolfville on May 10, 2008. Earlier in 2008, he delivered the Graduation Address at Andhra Christian Theological College, Hyderabad in which his Church Society is a participating member
Nelson has lectured and taught courses at seminaries throughout Canada for more than two decades. He taught Church Ministry at the Edmonton Baptist Seminary, Edmonton and was also on the Doctoral Committee of St. Stephen's College, Edmonton. He oversaw programs at Carey Theological College, Vancouver.
Prior to his appointment as President of Tyndale University College and Seminary, Nelson had been a sessional lecturer and adjunct professor at Tyndale.
- (With Donald C. Posterski) Future Faith Churches: Reconnecting with the Power of the Gospel for the 21st Century. Kelowna, BC: Wood Lake Pub., 1997. ISBN 978-1-55154-509-7.
- Everything Old is New Again: Emerging Church Ecclesiology. A paper presented at the Symposium of the Baptist World Alliance, Elstal/Berlin, Germany, 2007.
- Borderland Churches: A Congregation's Introduction to Missional Living. St. Louis, MO: Chalice Press, St. Louis, 2008. ISBN 978-0-8272-0238-2.
Baptist World Alliance
||General Secretary||Succeeded by
- Canadian Baptist Ministries, Office Staff. Internet, accessed 14 December 2008.
- Network for Good. Internet, accessed 14 December 2008.
- Tyndale University College and Seminary, Toronto, Teaching Faculty. Internet, accessed 14 December 2008. 
- The Evangelical Fellowship of Canada, Centre for Research on Canadian Evangelicalism, Thesis Papers and Dissertations on Canadian Evangelicalism. Internet, accessed 14 December 2008. 
- Installation Service Brochure, Acadia Divinity College 2008. Internet, accessed December 14, 2008.
- ACTC Graduation Brochure 2008.
- Wood Lake Publishing Incorporated, Kelowna, About Gary Nelson. Internet, accessed 14 December 2008. 
- Further reading
- Marva J. Dawn (2003). Unfettered Hope: A Call to Faithful Living in an Affluent Society, Westminster John Knox Press.. ISBN 978-0-664-22595-7.