||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008)|
|Birth name||Edgardo José Martin Santiago Valenciano|
|Also known as||Gary V., Mr. Pure Energy|
|Born||August 6, 1964|
|Genres||Gospel, Pinoy pop, Manila Sound|
|Occupations||Singer, Songwriter, Record producer, Actor, Dancer|
|Instruments||Vocals, Keyboards, Percussions|
|Labels||Manila Genesis Entertainment & Management, Inc.
Universal Records (Philippines)
Edgardo José Martin Santiago Valenciano (born 6 August 1964), better known as Gary Valenciano or Gary V., is a Filipino musician. Also known as Mr. Pure Energy, Valenciano has released 26 albums, and won the Awit Awards for "Best Male Performer" eleven times. In 1998, he became UNICEF Philippines first National Ambassador. His most notable songs include "Di Bale Na Lang" ("Never mind"), "Eto Na Naman" ("Here we go again"), "Sana Maulit Muli" ("i wish it could happen again"), "Natutulog Ba Ang Diyos?" ("Does God sleep"), "Gaya ng Dati" ("Just like before"), "Pasko Na, Sinta Ko" ("It's already Christmas my love"), and "Narito" ("Here").
Gary Valenciano was given the ASAP Elite Platinum Circle Award for 2008 for his extraordinary achievements in the local music industry. In his 25 years in the music industry, Gary has been awarded five Platinum albums, four double Platinum albums, three triple Platinum albums, and two sextuple Platinum albums.
Gary Valenciano was born in Santa Mesa, Manila on 6 August 1964. He is the sixth of seven children of Vicente Valenciano and Grimilda Santiago Ortíz. His parents met in New York, married, and settled in Manila. His father is from Bicol, while his mother is a Puerto Rican of Italian descent  who sang opera in Manila during the 1960s. Valenciano attended primary and secondary school in La Salle Green Hills.
Valenciano is married to María Anna Elizabeth "Angeli" Pangilinan, with whom he has three children: Juan Paolo Martin Valenciano (vocalist of the band Salamin, whose married to Samantha Godinez), José Angelo Gabriel Valenciano (singer, keyboardist and dancer) and Kristiana María Mikaela (model turned singer). He is currently living with diabetes, and has been an endorser for several wellness products related to the condition.
In 1978, Valenciano made his first television appearance in an advertisement for local soft-drink Fress Gusto. when he was 14 years old at that time. He started as a choir singer, then performing in 1982 and launched his career in singing and show business on 13 May 1983. He first appeared as a solo artist in 1982 on the television programme The Pilita and Jackie Show, and later in Germspesyal and Penthouse Live. He had his first solo concert in April 1984 at the Araneta Coliseum, followed a number of albums, three of which were released internationally, including the Christian-inspired album Out of the Dark.
In 1998, he became UNICEF Philippines' first National Ambassador. In 2008, he marked his tenth year as a UNICEF Ambassador with a visit to Sitio Avocado, a former war zone in Negros Oriental. Valenciano returned to acting in 2008 by appearing in the drama anthology Maalaala Mo Kaya, where he portrayed a prisoner who finds religion and becomes born again. That same year, he was nominated for "Best Single Performance By An Actor" in the 22nd PMPC Star Awards for TV. In 2009, Valenciano released a collaborative album with Martin Nievera called "As 1", with the carrier single of the same title. In 2010, Valenciano was in a Holy Week drama special, Gulong, a CBN Asia Production shown on GMA; this was his third GMA Holy Week special since 2006. He also released his 25th full-length album, and his fourth compilation album "Replay" was recently released with the carrier single, "Did It Ever".
|1989||Faces of Love
|1992||Dancing in the Moonlight[A]
|1995||Out of the Dark[B]
|Outside Looking In[C]
|1996||From Gary, Merry Christmas
|I Will Be Here
|At the Movies
|2009||As 1 (with Martin Nievera)[D]
|2012||Sings Just For You
- [A] Album was released in Japan under Toshiba-EMI.
- [B] Album was released in the United States.
- [C] Album was released internationally under Polygram Records.
- [D] As 1 is a collaborative album, with Martin Nievera.
|1988||Heart And Soul Live
|1986||The Best Of Gary Valenciano
|1997||Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and 2
|2004||Gary V: The Blackgold Collection
|2008||The Platinum Ballad Collection: 25th Anniversary Album
- Salubungin Ang Pasko (Universal Records, 1986)
- Ginintuang Diwa ng Pasko (Universal Records, 1989)
- 18 Classic OPM Love Songs (PolyEast Records Philippines, 1998)
- The Best Of Crossover Presents (Viva Records, 2003)
- Only Selfless Love 2 (Universal Records, 2003)
- OPM Rewind (Universal Records, 2004)
- The Love Song Collection (Universal Records, 2004)
- Top Male OPM Hits (Star Records, 2004)
- Various Movie Themes (Vicor Music, 2005)
- Nagmamahal Kapamilya Songs For Global (Star Records, 2005)
- Best Of OPM Inspirational Songs (Universal Records, 2005)
- Best Of OPM Love Duets (Universal Records, 2005)
- Best Of OPM Love Ballads (Universal Records, 2005)
- Best Of OPM Movie & TV Themes (Universal Records, 2005)
- Pinoy Biggie Hits (Star Records, 2006)
- OPM With Love (Universal Records, 2006)
- Lovestruck Vol. 1 (Viva Records, 2006)
- OPM Gold (Universal Records, 2006)
- OPM Superstars Christmas (Universal Records, 2006)
- Hotsilog The ASAP Hotdog Compilation (Star Records, 2006)
- Top Male OPM Hits (Star Records, 2007)
- Pinoy Biggie Hits Rewind (Star Records, 2007)
- Musika At Pelikula: A Star Cinema Music Collection (Star Records, 2008)
- No.1 Signature Hits OPM's Best (Vicor Music, 2008)
- Kris Aquino: The Greatest Love (Universal Records, 2008)
- Wings of the Soul (Star Records, 2008)
- OPM No. 1's (Star Records, 2009)
- I-Star 15: Best Of TV & Movie Themes (Star Records, 2010)
- 60 Taon Ng Musika At Soap Opera (Star Records, 2010)
- OPM All-Star Christmas (Universal Records, 2010)
- Ngayong Pasko Magniningning Ang Pilipino (Star Records, 2010)
- OPM Number 1s Vol.2 (Star Records, 2011)
- I Love You (Star Records, 2011)
- Bida Best Hits Da Best (Star Records, 2011)
- Magsama Tayo Sa Kwento Ng Pasko (Star Records, 2013)
Popular Songs in chronological order [Year of Release]
Valenciano's songs include:
- 1983 – Growing Up (Theme Song of the Philippine Movie "Bagets")
- 1983 – You Got Me Working
- 1983 – Hang On
- 1983 – Betty's In Bed
- 1984 – Love Of Mine
- 1984 – Reaching Out
- 1984 – Hotshots
- 1985 – Move Your Body
- 1985 – Once Upon A Life
- 1986 – Paano
- 1987 – 'Di Bale Na Lang
- 1987 – 'Wag Mo Na Sanang Isipin
- 1987 – 'Di Na Natuto
- 1987 - Sana Maulit Muli
- 1988 – Take Me Out Of The Dark
- 1989 – Heto Na Naman
- 1989 – Laughter All The Time
- 1989 – Each Passing Night (with Regine Velasquez)
- 1989 – Narito
- 1989 – Letting Go
- 1989 – Mahal Na Mahal Ko Siya
- 1990 – Natutulog Ba Ang Diyos?
- 1990 – Look In Her Eyes
- 1991 – Shout For Joy
- 1991 – Could You Be Messiah?
- 1991 - Sa Tuwing Naaalala Ka (with Sharon Cuneta)
- 1992 – Gaya Ng Dati
- 1993 – Hataw Na
- 1993 - Sa Yahweh
- 1993 – Muli (with Regine Velasquez)
- 1994 – Babalik Ka Rin
- 1995 – Hele Ni Inay
- 1996 – Pasko Na Sinta Ko
- 1997 – Until Then [remake of an original song by the Side A]
- 1998 – (Everybody) Get Down
- 1998 - Pampanga
- 1999 – More And More
- 2000 - Anak [remake of an original song by Freddie Aguilar]
- 2000 – I Will Be Here [remake of an original song by Steven Curtis Chapman]
- 2001 – The Warrior Is A Child
- 2002 – Can't We Just Stop And Talk A While (with Kyla) [remake of an original song by Jose Mari Chan]
- 2002 – Kung Mawawala Ka (with Zsa Zsa Padilla)
- 2003 – Kailangan Kita
- 2004 – How Did You Know [remake of an original song by Chiqui Pineda]
- 2005 – Ikaw Lamang
- 2005 – Break Me
- 2006 – Wait Forever
- 2007 – You Are (with Joni Villanueva)
- 2008 – Only Hope [remake of an original song by Mandy Moore]
- 2008 – Ilaan Mo (Theme from ICare Compassion Ministry)
- 2009 – Tayong Dalawa [remake of an original song by Rey Valera]
- 2009 – Ayt! (with Sponge Cola)
- 2009 – And I Love You So [remake of an original song by Don McLean]
- 2010 – Kung Tayo'y Magkakalayo [remake of an original song by Rey Valera]
- 2010 – How Can I?
- 2010 - Did It Ever
- 2011 - Minsan Lang Kitang Iibigin [remake of an original song by Ariel Rivera]
- 2011 - Home
- 2012 - Hanggang Sa Dulo Ng Walang Hanggan [remake of an original song by Basil Valdez]
- 2013 - Kailangan Ko'y Ikaw [remake of an original song by Ogie Alcasid]
- 2013 - Huwag Ka Lang Mawawala [remake of an original song by Ogie Alcasid]
- 2014 - Ikaw Lamang [remake of an original song by Ogie Alcasid]
- CBN Asia Holy Week Special (GMA Network, 1995)
- Ikaw Lang Ang Mamahalin (GMA Network, 2002) - cameo appearance
- Sa Ngalan Ng Anak: A CBN Asia Holy Week Special (GMA Network, 2006)
- ASAP (ABS-CBN, 2003–present)
- Maalaala Mo Kaya? (ABS-CBN, 2008)
- May Bukas Pa (ABS-CBN, 2009) - guest
- Gulong: A CBN Asia Holy Week Special (GMA Network, 2010)
- Twist and Shout (ABS-CBN, 2010)
- Minsan Lang Kita Iibigin (ABS-CBN, 2011) - guest/singer
- The X Factor Philippines (ABS-CBN, 2012) - judge
- Walang Hanggan (ABS-CBN, 2012) - guest/singer
- The Voice of the Philippines (ABS-CBN, 2013) - trust adviser of Sarah Geronimo
- 17th Awit Awards (2004) Best Performance by a Duet - "Sana Maulit Muli" (with Kyla)
- 20th Awit Awards (2007) – Best Performance by a Male Recording Artist – "In Another Lifetime"
- PEP.ph. "Gary V: Live at 25! | Gallery | PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz". PEP.ph. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Gary Valenciano: A Winning Lifestyle". Cbn.com. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- Gary Valenciano currently living with diabetes.
- "Fress Gusto Classic Philipine TVC 1975 ( with Gary V )". YouTube. 2007-07-13. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- Video 48 (2009-07-05). "Video 48: GARY V.'S "FRESS GUSTO" Circa 1978". Video48.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Gary V unleashing pure energy in Araneta". ABS-CBN News. 2008-10-19. Retrieved 2009-01-24.
- "Gary V's platinum & gold harvest". The Philippine Star. December 3, 2000. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- "Gary V has a lot to be thankful for". Manila Bulletin. July 18, 2004. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- "Gary V. rides the ‘wave of hope’". Manila Bulletin. December 29, 2006. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- "Gary, Zsa Zsa in ‘Faces of Love 2’". Manila Bulletin. February 19, 2006. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- "Rhythms from the heart in GARY V’s new ‘Rebirth’ album". The Philippine Star. April 24, 2008. Retrieved 2011-04-17.
- "Gary V. Denies 'Replay' a Sign of 'Musical Drought' | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online". Mb.com.ph. 2010-10-06. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- Song "Betty's In Bed" in YouTube.
- Song "Hotshots" in YouTube.
- "Kamikazee wins five Awit Awards". 2007-08-10. Retrieved 2009-07-12.