Gary Woods (footballer)
Woods with Watford in 2014
|Full name||Gary Woods|
|Date of birth||1 October 1990|
|Place of birth||Kettering, England|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:01, 31 January 2015 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Kettering, Northamptonshire, Woods joined Manchester United from Cambridge United in July 2007 after trials with a host of Premier League sides, including Arsenal. Described by Manchester United's under-18 coach Paul McGuinness as "a strong, brave goalkeeper with a strong personality", he made his only appearance for Manchester United in a pre-season friendly against Aberdeen. His final days at Old Trafford were hampered with injuries and he was released in the summer of 2008.
Woods joined Doncaster Rovers on a free transfer on 26 March 2009, signing a contract which would end at the end of 2009–10 season. He made his professional debut one month later on 25 April 2009, when he replaced Neil Sullivan in the final minute of a 2–0 victory against Crystal Palace. Woods made his full debut in Doncaster Rovers' home game against Burnley on 1 February 2011 and went on to supplant Sullivan as first choice goalkeeper for the remainder of the 2010–11 season.
Having started sporadically started in the 2011-12, Woods became first-choice goalkeeper in 2012-13 as Doncaster returned to League One following relegation from the Championship. However, despite playing 49 of 53 games as Doncaster took the League One title, he was released at the end of the season.
Having previously played Victory Shield football for England at under-16 level, Woods made his debut for the England under-18 side on 20 November 2007 as a substitute for Alex Smithies during a 2–0 friendly win over Ghana.
- As of 31 January 2015
|Club||Season||Division||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Leyton Orient||2014–15||League One||17||0||1||0||3||0||2||0||23||0|
- Doncaster Rovers
- "Search 1984 to 2006 – Birth, Marriage and Death indexes". Findmypast.com. Retrieved 21 November 2009.
- "Get to know...Gary Woods". ManUtd.com. Manchester United. 8 October 2008. Retrieved 21 November 2009.
- "Rovers net goalkeeper Woods". doncasterroversfc.co.uk. Doncaster Rovers FC. 26 March 2009. Retrieved 21 November 2009.
- "Doncaster sign Premier League duo". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 26 March 2009. Retrieved 21 November 2009.
- "Doncaster 2–0 Crystal Palace". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 25 April 2009. Retrieved 21 November 2009.
- "Doncaster Rovers: Gary Woods among quintet released". South Yorkshire Times. 18 May 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "OFFICIAL: Woods Signs". Watford FC. 9 September 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "England 2–0 Ghana". TheFA.com. The Football Association. 20 November 2007. Retrieved 21 November 2009.
- Gary Woods career statistics at Soccerbase