Coordinates: 42°01′12″N 87°55′21″W / 42.01995°N 87.92241°W The Gas Technology Institute is an American non-profit research and development organization which develops, demonstrates, and licenses new energy technologies for private and public clients, with a particular focus on the natural gas industry. GTI is located in Des Plaines, Illinois.
The Institute of Gas Technology was founded in 1941 at the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT).
The Gas Research Institute was founded in 1976 by the federal government. It was funded by a tax on interstate shipments of natural gas
In 2000, the tax that funded the Gas Research Institute was phased out. The Institute of Gas Technology and the Gas Research Institute combined to form the Gas Technology Institute.
In 2006, the IIT building that formerly housed the institute became home to Shimer College, which took up residence there after moving from Waukegan.
- ^ Staff report (October 12, 1941). Million dollar gas institute opened at IIT.
- ^ Dye, Lee (June 3, 1985). 'Maverick' oil scientists find taker. Los Angeles Times
- ^ Gas Technology Institute, History, accessed 12 Sept. 2013.
- ^ Staff report (June 1, 2000). Institute of Gas Technology, Gas Research Institute merge. LP/Gas
- ^ Isaacs, Deanna (2007-08-30). "So Long, Shimer".