Location in Baxter County and the state of Arkansas
|Incorporated||January 20, 1903|
|Named for||P. A. Cox, town founder and a talkative man nicknamed a "gasser"|
|• Type||Mayor-city council|
|• Total||3.4 sq mi (8.9 km2)|
|• Land||3.4 sq mi (8.9 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||764 ft (233 m)|
|• Density||501.8/sq mi (191.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0077002|
Gassville is located at (36.283160, -92.490124).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.6 square miles (9.3 km2), all of it land.
|UVA Census Browser 1880-1950|
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,158 people, 688 households, and 502 families residing in the city. The population density was 508.1 people per square mile (192.6/km²). There were 712 housing units at an average density of 208.3 per square mile (80.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.83% White, 0.18% Black or African American, 0.41% Native American, 0.29% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.35% from other races, and 0.88% from two or more races. 1.17% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 653 households out of which 34.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.0% were married couples living together, 12.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.4% were non-families. 23.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.8% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 27.5% from 25 to 44, 20.2% from 45 to 64, and 18.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 84.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,478, and the median income for a family was $30,481. Males had a median income of $22,955 versus $17,267 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,221. About 11.7% of families and 18.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.4% of those under age 18 and 14.0% of those age 65 or over.
- John "Johnie" Winfield Hallmark - Born in Gassville on December 2, 1919 to William "Bill" Ellis Hallmark and Mary Betty Lois née Thompson. Johnie Hallmark was serving as a US Navy Seaman 1st Class aboard the USS Nevada (BB-36), a World War I era battleship, which was anchored adjacent to Ford Island and ahead of the USS Arizona (BB-39) on Battleship Row during the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii on December 7, 1941. Sea1c Hallmark died on board the Nevada during the Japanese attack  that morning and his remains were never recovered .
On February 5, 2008, Gassville was devastated by a tornado. The town was sealed off, due to the possibility of gas leaks causing an explosion.
- Map of Gassville (US Census Bureau)
- Map of Baxter County (US Census Bureau)
- Cotter School District
- Baxter County Historical and Genealogical Society
- "Gassville, Arkansas". 2011. Retrieved November 10, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- School District Reference Map (2010 Census) Baxter County, AR (Map). US Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- Historical Census Browser, University of Virginia, Geospatial and Statistical Data Center, 2004
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.