||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
October 30, 1967 |
|Education||Le Cordon Bleu, Paris|
Gastón Acurio Jaramillo (born October 30, 1967) is a Peruvian chef and ambassador of Peruvian cuisine. He is owner of restaurants in several countries and is the author of several books. In Peru he is the host of his own television program and contributes to a few magazines.
Gastón Acurio Jaramillo is the only son of Gastón Acurio Velarde, a career politician with Acción Popular party and Senator in the 1980s, and Jesúsa Jaramillo Razuri. He has four older sisters.
Acurio studied law (expecting to succeed his father in a political career) at the Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru. He studied cooking at the Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, where he met his future wife Astrid Gutsche, originally from Germany. He was the lead vocalist for the Peruvian heavy metal band Imagenes
In 1994, he returned to Peru with knowledge of international cuisine and applied it in a gourmet level to Peruvian cuisine, contributing to the development of the so-called Cocina Novoandina. Acurio is currently recognized as one of the most important chefs in the world.
He has two daughters with his wife Astrid: Ivalú and Kiara.
Peruvian restaurant franchises
Gastón Acurio has helped establish Peruvian cuisine and offers typical Peruvian meals in a modern and attractive style. His restaurant franchises focus on a specific category of Peruvian cuisine.
Together with his wife Astrid, he managed the restaurant franchise Astrid & Gastón since 1994. It opened in the district of Miraflores in Lima and expanded in Latin America and recently in Europe, opening restaurants in Santiago de Chile, Bogotá, Quito, Caracas, all South America and Europe.
La Mar is a Cevichería in Lima specializing in Peruvian seafood. This restaurant also opened in Colombia, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Panama and many other countries. The latest La Mar Cebicheria opened in September 2011, designed by the firm Stephanie Goto.
In late 2006, Acurio was also involved in the development of Pasquale Hnos., a fast food restaurant focused on Peruvian sandwiches, traditionally known as sanguches. Initially well received, this franchise did not fulfill Acurio's vision and he decided to walk out of the project. 
Panchita, a Peruvian anticuchería opened in Summer 2009 in Miraflores, Lima.
Madam Tusan, a chifa (Chinese-Peruvian fusion cuisine). Tusan (土生) is a term for a Chinese emigrant used in China and in Peruvian Spanish it was adapted to mean Chinese person. This restaurant franchise opened in 2011 and has locations in Lima and Santiago de Chile.
Planned franchises include: 
- Los Bachiche, a Peruvian-Italian restaurant, set to open May 2012.
- Super Chicha, a restaurant which will include all Peruvian regional cuisine.
- Gringacho, a gastrobar with pisco cocktails and appetizers.
- Macambo, a chocolate restaurant.
- La Chingana, a hamburger restaurant.
Other franchises to be launched by Gastón Acurio are:
- Astrid y Gastón Café, a casual version of Astrid y Gastón which will open in Cuzco and Trujillo.
- La Pollada & Company, a Peruvian pollería in fast-food format which will attempt to promote worldwide the Peruvian pollo a la brasa (roasted chicken).
- La Corralada, a Peruvian premium polleria.
- Nativa, a boutique hotel chain which will focus on Peruvian culture and will be based on Acurio's franchises.
- Papas & Salsas, a Peruvian papas rellenas (stuffed potatoes) restaurant.
- Barrio, a Peruvian criolla cuisine restaurant.
- Cegal, a gastronomic university in Lima.
- Pecano, a Peruvian dulceria and deluxe café, based on the Havanna concept.
- Yoshi, a nikkei (Peruvian-Japanese) restaurant.
- Yoshi & Ricci, an Italian-Japanese restaurant.
- Pochita, a Peruvian fast-food anticucheria, based on Panchita.
- Chilca, a Peruvian ice-cream store.
- Malandro Bar, a concept bar.
- Diverxo, a supermarket based on the Wong concept, with the addition of a gastronomy school, own products, and a food court designed by chefs.
- Pasquale Hnos., a Peruvian sangucheria.
- La Pepa, a juice store which will focus on the customer's comfort and experience.
In parallel with the Peruvian franchises, Gastón Acurio is involved in numerous projects which include:
- A cooking television program, La Aventura Culinaria, which is broadcast on cable television by PlusTV. It features Gastón Acurio visiting various places in Lima and other regions of Peru in search of restaurants and specific types of meal or ingredients. Two episodes include La Aventura del Ceviche, in which Gastón visited his top list of Cevicherias, and La Aventura del Queso, when Gastón enjoyed the best cheese based meals in various locations in Lima.
- Top cuisine events worldwide, in which he promotes Peruvian cuisine to a wider audience, task which he accomplished at Madrid Fusion 2006, where he finally internationalized the Peruvian ceviche.
- Cooking books, with a nice collection released recently by Peruvian newspaper El Comercio.
- "Gaston's famous speech at Universidad del Pacífico". Universidad del Pacífico. March 30, 2006.
- Mendoza Sheen, Susana (December 15, 2005). "Gastón Acurio interview". Andina — Agencia Peruana de Noticias.
- Castro, Roberto (October 15, 2007). "En cinco años podría cumplirse la meta de operar 24 marcas". APOYO — Semana Economica.