Gates Mills, Ohio
|Gates Mills, Ohio|
Location of Gates Mills in Ohio
Location of Gates Mills in Cuyahoga County
|• Mayor||Shawn M. Riley |
|• Total||9.10 sq mi (23.57 km2)|
|• Land||8.97 sq mi (23.23 km2)|
|• Water||0.13 sq mi (0.34 km2)|
|Elevation||719 ft (219 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||2,259|
|• Density||253.1/sq mi (97.7/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1064705|
Gates Mills is a village in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, United States. The population was 2,270 at the 2010 census. Gates Mills is an affluent suburb of Cleveland. Gates Mills was originally part of Mayfield Township.
Gates Mills is located at (41.532584, -81.410527).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 9.10 square miles (23.57 km2), of which, 8.97 square miles (23.23 km2) is land and 0.13 square miles (0.34 km2) is water.
In 2000, the median income for a household in the village was $133,605, and the median income for a family was $161,350. Males had a median income of $100,000 versus $50,761 for females. The per capita income for the village was $74,732. About 1.0% of families and 1.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 4.1% of those age 65 or over.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,270 people, 919 households, and 698 families residing in the village. The population density was 253.1 inhabitants per square mile (97.7/km2). There were 992 housing units at an average density of 110.6 per square mile (42.7/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 93.0% White, 1.3% African American, 0.1% Native American, 4.0% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.9% of the population.
There were 919 households of which 23.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.8% were married couples living together, 4.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 24.0% were non-families. 21.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.84.
The median age in the village was 52.5 years. 18.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 13.4% were from 25 to 44; 39% were from 45 to 64; and 23.4% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 50.7% male and 49.3% female.
One private school, Gilmour Academy, is located in Gates Mills. Gilmour is a Roman Catholic college preparatory school with a lower, middle, and high school on one campus. The upper school campus for Hawken School has a Gates Mills mailing address, but is actually located in neighboring Chester Township.
Notable natives and residents
- Eric Carmen, singer/songwriter
- Bob Feller, pitcher for the Cleveland Indians
- O. J. McDuffie, wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins
- Melanie Valerio, gold-medal-winning 4 x 100 Freestyle Relay swimmer at the 1996 Summer Olympics
- Tim Conway stated on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon that he originally wanted to be a jockey because his father raised horses in Gates Mills, OH.
- http://www.drelocation.com/ohio/cuyahogaco/gatesmills.htm Retrieved 8 November 2006
- http://www.gatesmillsvillage.com/village_mayor.asp Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Gates Mills village, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.