||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (August 2013)|
|Type||Not-for-profit, non-governmental organization, think tank|
|Key people||John R. Bolton, Amir Taheri, Elie Wiesel, R. James Woolsey|
The Gatestone Institute, formerly Stonegate Institute and Hudson New York, is a think tank based in New York City. The organization is chaired by John R. Bolton, former U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations, from 2005 to 2006, and Undersecretary of State for Arms Control and International Security, from 2001 to 2005. The European Union describes Gatestone as, "a think tank chaired by John Bolton, former U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations." The Daily Beast describes it as "a spin-off of the Hudson Institute where right-wingers (along with Alan Dershowitz) champion hawkish, often "pro-Israel" policies and, not infrequently, rattle off Islamophobic blogposts." It was formerly Stonegate Institute and was devolved from the Hudson Institute, New York, is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit international policy council and think tank for international and domestic policy, based in New York City. It was founded in 2012 by Nina Rosenwald who serves as its president. Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John R. Bolton is its chairman. In The Nation, journalist Max Blumenthal reported it began as a branch of the Washington D.C. Hudson Institute and was known as "Hudson New York City". Gatestone publicizes the writings of experts as diverse as Alan Dershowitz, Robert Spencer and Harold Rhode. It is described by some media as “an internationally known American think-tank, specialized on strategy and defense questions.” 
Sheila Musaji's The American Muslim includes it and Nina Rosenwald in a Who’s Who of the Anti-Muslim/Anti-Arab/Islamophobia Industry, and describes it as "neo-con". LGBT Gay Star News describes Gatestone as "conservative". The New York Post calles Gatestone "a Washington-based think tank".
About the organization
The organization describes itself as a "non-partisan, not-for-profit international policy council and think tank is dedicated to educating the public about what the mainstream media fails to report." The organization believes that traditional news outlets conduct insufficient and, as a result, misleading reporting on critical issues, and thus it distributes its own information about events in the Middle East and Muslim populations in other parts of the world.
The Gatestone Institute publishes an online daily report on its website, featuring extended news coverage and editorials on various subjects, with a concentration on foreign policy issues impacting the United States and its allies.
Gatestone publications are cited by many commentators and writers, among them Cal Thomas, Marvin Hier, Jonathan Rosenblum, Melanie Phillips, Andrew C. McCarthy, and César Vidal Manzanares. It has also been cited by publications including The Hill, the Jerusalem Post, JNS.org, The Washington Times, The Blaze, La Razón, Investor's Business Daily, and United Press International.
The organization hosts forums and conferences featuring high-profile journalists, policy experts, and elected officials on a regular basis. According to their website, the goal of these events is to analyze, strategize and inform members and guests on current issues and to offer solutions. Briefing Council events are by invitation only, exclusively for Gatestone Institute members.
Gatestone Institute is funded by private donors and foundations.
Board of Advisors
According to the Gatestone Institute website, the organization is currently forming its Board of Advisors. Nobel Peace Prize laureate and Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel, former Central Intelligence Agency Director R. James Woolsey, Jr., Hebrew University professor Petra Heldt and foreign policy expert and author Ahmed Charai are the first individuals to be named to the board.
Board of Governors (United States)
According to its website, the organization is currently forming a Board of Governors consisting of former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John R. Bolton serving as chairman; American Islamic Forum for Democracy founder M. Zuhdi Jasser; Huffington Post writer Lawrence Kadish; British neoconservative writer and commentator Douglas Murray; and Director of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and philanthropist Ingeborg Rennert, wife of investor Ira Rennert.
Distinguished Senior Fellows
- "Board of Advisors" Gatestone Institute. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- Stonegate Institute on Facebook. Old Fb page dated 2012-03-21. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "IMPORTANT NOTICE: On January 1, 2012, our name changed from "Hudson New York" to Stonegate Institute." in stonegateinstitute.org at the Wayback Machine (archived January 8, 2012)
- hudson-ny.org at the Wayback Machine (archived October 24, 2011)
- "Stonegate Institute – Latest Articles" (2012-01-13) at web.archive.org. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "About". Gatestone Institute. 2012-05-03. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Gatestone Institute". Gatestone Institute. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Gatestone Institute". Facebook. 2012-05-03. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Nina Rosenwald". Gatestone Institute. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- Julia Gorin. "John Bolton’s Gatestone Institute: Why the United States would Actively Promote German Aims and the Re-creation of the Ottoman Empire is a Question that Needs to be Answered". Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "John Bolton". Foxnews.com. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- John R. Bolton. "Scholars - John R. Bolton". AEI. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Former UN Ambassador John R. Bolton Joins Gatestone Institute as Chairman". Gatestone Institute. 2013-07-17. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Blumenthal, Max (2012-06-13) "The Sugar Mama of Anti-Muslim Hate", The Nation, Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "Gatestone Institute full overview". Right Web (Institute for Policy Studies). 2013-03-05. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- La tournée africaine de Sa Majesté le Roi, l’expression d’un leadership solidaire soucieux du bien-être des peuples de la région , Le Matin, 27 March 2013 “Gatestone Institute, un think tank américain de renommée internationale spécialisé dans les questions stratégiques et de défense.”
- Musaji, Sheila (2012-10-15). "A Who’s Who of the Anti-Muslim/Anti-Arab/Islamophobia Industry - updated 10/15/12". The American Muslim. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Egypt Coptic Christians have one of their ‘worst months,’ Gatestone Institute report says —". Jns.org. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "What the He!! Is Going On in England? | National Review Online". Nationalreview.com. 2013-07-18. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Ben, Ariel (2013-04-25). "Hundreds of European Muslims fighting Assad | JPost | Israel News". JPost. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Rosenwald, Nina (2013-08-09). "Gatestone Weekly Roundup". Gatestone Institute. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Facebook Caves to Arab Threats Against Journalist - Middle East - News". Israel National News. 2013-01-16. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "And Then They Came for the Meter Maids . . . | National Review Online". Nationalreview.com. 2012-09-11. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- by Dr. Susan Berry (2013-07-09). "Report: Church Attacked in Egypt; Christians in Crossfire". Breitbart.com. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:27 AM (2012-11-15). "Freedom House: Libelling Israel for Defending Itself - Op-Eds". Israel National News. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Abu, Khaled (2013-08-09). "Egypt Blockades Gaza: Where Are the Flotillas?". Gatestone Institute. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Ramallah vs. the "Peace Process" | Jewish News, Jewish World Information". Jewishnewsdaily.com. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Coptic Christians have one of their ‘worst months,’ Gatestone Institute report says
- "Upcoming Events" gordonchang.com. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "Events for Members". Gatestone Institute. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "Spanish government: adopted children from Morocco must be raised as Muslims". February 22, 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Dr. Petra Heldt Hebrew University
- Huffington Post Profile of Ahmed Charai
- Huffinton Post Profil Lawrence Kadish
- Board of Advisors/ Business Week profile
- Gatestone Institute website
- Gatestone Institute – Archives published articles
- Profile – Gatestone Institute at Right Web, "Tracking militarists’ efforts to influence U.S. foreign policy"
- Gatestone Institute, SourceWatch
- Solving the Palestine Refugee Problem Despite UNRWA on YouTube – presentation by Middle East Forum and Gatestone Institute