Gatesville, North Carolina
|Gatesville, North Carolina|
Location of Gatesville, North Carolina
|• Total||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|• Land||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||20 ft (6 m)|
|• Density||675.8/sq mi (260.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1025334|
Gatesville is located at (36.404390, -76.758435).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 281 people, 117 households, and 80 families residing in the town. The population density was 675.8 people per square mile (258.3/km²). There were 142 housing units at an average density of 341.5 per square mile (130.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 87.54% White, 11.03% African American, 0.36% Native American, and 1.07% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.36% of the population.
There were 117 households out of which 29.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.0% were married couples living together, 7.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.8% were non-families. 29.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the town the population was spread out with 25.3% under the age of 18, 5.3% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 24.2% from 45 to 64, and 20.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 82.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $49,375, and the median income for a family was $62,500. Males had a median income of $40,625 versus $27,500 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,190. About 2.8% of families and 3.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.4% of those under the age of eighteen and 9.8% of those sixty five or over.
As of 2006, the town council members consist of C.H. Carter, Wade Hobbs, and Frederick Smith. The mayor of Gatesville is Elton Winslow.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 135.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 8/29/11 through 9/02/11. National Park Service. 2011-09-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.