Gateway Distriparks Limited
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (August 2013)|
Gateway Distriparks Limited, (NSE: GDL) a company based in Mumbai, India, is a logistics facilitator with three verticals- Container Freight Stations (CFS), Inland Container Depots (ICD) with rail movement and Cold Chain Storage & Logistics. The company was founded in April 1994 and originally promoted by Newsprint Trading & Sales Corporation (NTSC), CWT Distribution Limited, NUR Investment and Trading Pvt. Ltd. and Intercontinental Forest Products Pte. Ltd. (IFP) as a joint venture company to conduct the business of warehousing, container freight stations and all related activities. In March 1995, IFP resigned as a joint venture partner and was replaced by Parameswara Holdings Ltd. In April 1996, CWT and NUR also resigned as joint venture partners and they were replaced by Windmill International Pte Ltd. and Thakral Corporation Ltd.
|Traded as||(BSE: 532622); (NSE: GDL)|
|Founder(s)||Prem Kishan Gupta
|Key people||Gopinath Pillai
Prem Kishan Gupta
(Deputy Chairman & Managing Director)
|Revenue||1029.89 crore (2013-14)|
|Operating income||274.27 crore (2013-14)|
|Net income||135.84 crore (2013-14)|
|Employees||700 (June 2014)|
|Subsidiaries||Gateway Rail Freight Limited, Snowman Logistics Limited|
|1994||Gateway Distriparks Limited founded|
|1998||Start of CFS operations in Nhava Sheva|
|2001||IDFC invested 26 crores into GDL as private equity|
|2004||Temasek Holdings Singapore invested into GDL as private equity|
|2005||Listed with National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)|
|2006||Category I CTO (container train operator) licence obtained worth 50 crores
GDL acquired majority stake in Snowman Frozen Foods Limited
|2007||GDL takes over Punjab Conware CFS on 15 year operations & management (O&M) agreement|
|2009||Start of operations at ICD Ludhiana (Punjab)|
|2010||Blackstone Group invested 300 crores in GatewayRail|
|2011||ICD Faridabad developed|
|2012||The Gateway Group crossed half a million TEUs annual throughput|
|2013||GDL starts operations at Kochi CFS 
Snowman files for IPO 
|2014||GDL acquires 74,00,000 equity shares of Snowman for 25.9 crores |
GDL operates three core businesses: Container Freight Stations (CFS), Rail-linked Inland Container Depots (ICD) and Cold Chain Storage & Logistics.
Container Freight Stations (CFS)
GDL operates Container Freight Stations, located at major Indian ports such as Navi Mumbai, Chennai, Visakhapatanam and Kochi. The stations offer container yards, general warehousing, bonded warehousing, empty handling and RFID technologies used for container tracking. GDL also has its own dedicated fleet of over 385 trailers for first and last mile connectivity.
GDL's rail operations are handled by its subsidiary, Gateway Rail Freight Limited. GatewayRail provides inter-modal logistics and operates Inland Container Depots that are connected to ports by rail. GatewayRail offers export-import (EXIM), domestic movement, Reefer services, double stack, CFS services and road transportation with a dedicated fleet of over 220 trailers for first & last mile connectivity. The ICDs are located at Garhi Harsaru (Gurgaon, Haryana), Sahnewal (Ludhiana, Punjab) and Asaoti (Faridabad, Haryana). GatewayRail also operates a rail-linked domestic terminal at Kalamboli (Navi Mumbai).
Cold Chain Logistics
The cold chain logistics of GDL is run by its subsidiary, Snowman Logistics Limited. Snowman is an integrated temperature controlled logistics services provider with 25 temperature controlled warehouses in 15 cities across India. The warehousing capacity is more than 65,000 pallets and 3,000 ambient pallets as of 1 December 2013. It operates over 350 reefer vehicles for primary and secondary transportation, covering 4,500 outlets in over 150 cities. Snowman offers temperature controlled storage, just-in-time delivery, retail inventory management and blast freezing services. Snowman's products include pharmaceutical products, retail & processed foods, fast food, dairy products, seafood, meat, poultry, fruits, vegetables and photofilms.
- "GDL was incorporated on April 06, 1994". Content.icicidirect.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "IDFC picks 21 pc in Gateway Distriparks". Thehindubusinessline.in. 2001-07-11. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Temasek buys 10% stake in Gateway Distriparks - Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2004-11-23. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "The Hindu Business Line : Gateway Distriparks plans greenfield project in Vizag". Thehindubusinessline.in. 2004-04-24. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "The Hindu Business Line : Gateway Distriparks launches operations in Vizag port". Thehindubusinessline.in. 2005-08-20. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "The Hindu Business Line : Gateway Distriparks buys CWCL's Gurgaon ICD". Thehindubusinessline.in. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "The Hindu Business Line : Gateway Distriparks lists with premium". Thehindubusinessline.in. 2005-04-01. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Announcements". Bseindia.com. 2005-12-12. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Press Information Bureau English Releases". Pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Gateway Distriparks to take over Snowman Frozen Foods - Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Gateway Distriparks to operate Punjab Conware". Business Standard. 2006-12-27. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Gateway Rail to invest Rs 25 cr to up cargo handling capacity - Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2010-12-30. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Gateway Rail opens Punjab’s Pvt Rail Linked Logistics Park". Moneycontrol.com. 2008-12-22. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Blackstone to invest Rs 300 cr in Gateway Distriparks arm - Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2009-11-09. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "GatewayRail to lay rail tracks to Faridabad container depot | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. 2012-06-27. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Gateway Distriparks executes share subscription agreement with International Finance Corporation - NDTVProfit.com". Profit.ndtv.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Gateway Distriparks group`s annual throughput crosses half a million TEUs". Myiris.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "New CFS to add muscle to Gateway Distriparks | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. 2012-08-19. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Gateway Distriparks subsidiary acquires 100% of Chandra CFS". Moneycontrol.com. 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Gateway Distriparks subsidiary Snowman Logistics to get Rs 60 crores from NVP - Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2013-06-14. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Gateway Distriparks Ltd (GATE.NS) Key Developments". Reuters.com. 2013-08-01. Retrieved 2013-08-25.