Gateway Regional High School (New Jersey)
|Gateway Regional High School District|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Shannon Whalen|
|Business Administrator:||Donna Contrevo|
|Address:||775 Tanyard Rd
Woodbury Heights, NJ 08096
|Enrollment:||933 (as of 2010-11)|
|Faculty (in FTEs):||81.0|
|District Factor Group:||CD|
| %± vs.
|10||Operations & Maintenance||1,854||18||1,762||5.2%|
|16||Median Teacher Salary||65,621||23||63,868|
|Data from NJDoE 2013 Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending.
*Of 7-12 districts with any number of students. Lowest spending=1; Highest=47
|Gateway Regional High School|
|775 Tanyard Road
Woodbury Heights, NJ 08096
|Type||Public high school|
|Vice Principals||Kristy Green (High School)
Michael D'Ostilio (Middle)
|Grades||7 - 12|
|Athletics conference||Colonial Conference|
Gateway Regional High School is a regional school district and public high school serving students in grades seven through twelve from four communities in Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States. The district serves students in grades 7-12 from the boroughs of National Park, Wenonah, Westville and Woodbury Heights.
The Board of Education for the Gateway Regional High School District consists of nine members: Three members come from Westville (the largest community in the district) and there are two each come from National Park, Wenonah and Woodbury Heights.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 858 students and 77.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.03:1. There were 178 students (20.7% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 48 (5.6% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "CD", the sixth highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 141st-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 197th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 151st in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 176th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 181st out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 29 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (78.7%) and language arts literacy (93.9%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
Gateway Regional High School is a member school in the Colonial Conference, which operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA).
The boys baseball team won the 2009 South Jersey Group I NJSIAA State Sectional Title, advancing to the Group I tournament where they lost to David Brearley High School 6–2 in the semi-final round.
- Dr. Shannon Whalen, Superintendent
- Donna Contrevo, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Steven Hindman - Principal
- Kristy Green - High School Vice Principal
- Michael D'Ostilio - Middle School Vice Principal
- Grace Helbig (born 1985), comedian, actress and internet personality.
- Greg Rizzo (class of 1981), Honorable Mention All-American wrestler.
- Steve Squyres (born 1957), principal investigator for the science payload on the Mars Exploration Rover Project.
- Tim Squyres (born 1959), Academy Award-nominated film editor of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hulk, and Syriana, among others.
- Stephen Starr, CEO of Starr Restaurants.
- Data for Gateway Reg High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 8, 2012.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Gateway Regional High School District 2010 School Report Card, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed July 15, 2011. "Gateway Regional High School District is comprised of one grades 7-12 school located in Woodbury Heights, NJ. It serves the secondary students from the municipalities of National Park, Wenonah, Westville, and Woodbury Heights."
- About the Board, Gateway Regional Board of Education. Accessed August 9, 2008.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 27, 2009.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 9, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed September 9, 2012.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 7, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 24, 2012.
- 2009 Baseball Tournament - Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 25, 2009.
- Administrators - Main Office, Gateway Regional High School. Accessed May 11, 2013.
- New Jersey School Directory, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2013.
- Callahan, Kevin. "Versatile Helbig excels in classroom, on track and now with pole vault", Courier-Post, January 9, 2003. Accessed July 24, 2012. "Grace Helbig strives to do really well in the classroom, so it is not surprising the senior at Gateway High School wants to do well on the athletic field."
- 1979-80 All-America Team, Wrestling USA Magazine. Accessed April 15, 2008.
- Mars Exploration: Zip Code Mars. Accessed June 13, 2007.
- O'Connell, Kaelin. "Going for the gold", Today's Sunbeam, February 24, 2008. Accessed February 28, 2008. "In 2001 Tim Squyres, a Gateway Regional High School graduate and a Wenonah native, was nominated for his editing work on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."
- Tanaka, Wendy. "Mastermind behind high-concept eateries Since '95, Stephen Starr has built a restaurant empire.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, May 26, 2002. Accessed August 7, 2013. "He grew up in Woodbury Heights, the son of a television repairman. At Gateway Regional High School, he became known for promoting concerts - a fledgling business back in the late 1960s."
- Gateway Regional High School
- Gateway Regional High School's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Gateway Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Gateway HS