Gateway Theatre of Shopping
|Gateway Theatre of Shopping|
|Town or city||Durban|
|Construction started||3 March 1998|
|Floor area||220,000 m2 (2,400,000 sq ft)|
|Number of stores||400+|
|Gateway Theatre of Shopping|
Gateway Theatre of Shopping or Gateway has been described as both the largest shopping centre in Africa and the largest in the southern hemisphere. It is located on Umhlanga Ridge in Umhlanga, north of Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Construction commenced on 3 March 1998 and it officially opened during September 2001 and currently has a retail floor space area of 220,000 sq. metres. It also has almost all of South Africa's and many major international retail stores. Gateway sees more than two million visitors coming through its doors per month. The centre was modeled on the Mall of America and West Edmonton Mall centres and was developed by Old Mutual Properties.
Gateway has 18 movie theatres, 6 Nouveau Cinemas, two 3D cinemas, Imax Theatre, a playhouse called the Barnyard Theatre, more than ninety restaurants, more than 400 stores, the Wave House, an arcade and theme park,indoor fun fair, a 4000 sq. metre skate park designed by Tony Hawk, the highest indoor climbing rock in the world,} a gym, the highest fountain in Africa, tenpin bowling, clubs, dodgem cars valet parking, Kizo Gallery, Palm Court, 1 on 1, adventure golf, MTN science centre, a Nissan 4x4 track and a science theme park, out door go carts, train rides, bungy jumping and more than 50 other entertainment destinations.
Services include parking for almost 12,000 vehicles, a car wash, and a shuttle service. Family rooms are provided for baby feeding and changing nappies, and all cubicles in the family rooms have panic buttons in case of emergency. A fire marshal patrols the centre, and there is an emergency helipad at Gateway.
Plans for further expansion are underway, including the development of both new shops and hotels making Gateway one of the largest single shopping destinations in the world.
The construction and opening of Gateway Theatre of Shopping has also been the driving force for many new developments in the area. Originally a sugar cane plantation, the establishment of Gateway on the site has led to the development of a new town centre and both commercial and residential developments within the region.
- "Shop Directory". Gateway Theatre of Shopping. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "Gateway". eThekwini Online. City of Durbin. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- "Global award for Gateway Theatre of Shopping". Old Mutual. 223 March 2003. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- "Valet Parking". Gateway Theatre of Shopping. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "Zulu Kingdom tourism site".
- "Customer Care". Gateway Theatre of Shopping. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- Clur, Belinda (2007). "South African Property Market Continues to Sizzle". Research Review (International Council of Shopping Centers) 14 (2): 67. Retrieved 6 February 2012.