||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
Gauhar Khan at IIFA 2012
|Born||Gauhar Zafar Khan
Pune, Maharashtra, India
|Years active||2003 – Present|
|Relatives||Nigaar Khan (sister)|
Gauhar Khan (also known as Gauahar Khan) is an Indian model and actress. After pursuing modeling, she made her acting debut in 2009 with Yash Raj Films' Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year. Khan also starred in films such as the action thriller Game (2011), and the revenge drama Ishaqzaade (2012). She has featured in songs including "Naa Pere Kanchan Mala" (Shankar Dada M.B.B.S., 2004), "Nasha Nasha" (Aan: Men at Work, 2004), "Parda Parda" (Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai, 2010) and "Jhalla Walla" and "Chokra Jawaan" (Ishaqzaade, 2012).
Khan is the winner of Bigg Boss 7 in 2013 and first runner-up of Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 3 in 2009. She also had a reality show of her own along with sister Nigaar Khan called The Khan Sisters (2011). In addition to films and television, she has a starring role in the Bollywood musical, Zangoora.
Furthermore, she is active in humanitarian work and has a number of endorsement deals.
Modelling and television career
Khan has modeled for Manish Malhotra, Ritu Kumar, Payal Jain and Neeta Lulla. She has also acted in numerous television ads Ford Ikon, Bajaj Auto, Opel Car and Tanishq jewellery. In 2002, at the age of 18, she participated in Femina Miss India contest where came fourth and won the Miss Talented title. Later that year, she represented India in the Miss International contest. She also appeared in a couple music videos of which Hawa Mein Udati Jaaye by Bombay Vikings became hugely popular. She has anchored the film gossip show Page 3 on Zoom Television. In 2009, she participated in the celebrity dance show, Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa (season 3) where she became the 1st runner up of the show. From 2011 to 2012, Khan appeared in the TV show The Khan Sisters along with her sister Nigaar Khan which followed their life.
She made her acting debut in the 2009 Yash Raj Films production Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year. Anupama Chopra said, "Gauhar was fashionable, ambitious and smart receptionist, she was sharply etched and memorable as Koena. in the film". Namrata Joshi from Outlook India stated that "Leading the pack is Gauhar Khan as the feisty office secretary. Gauhar is the colorful character in the film who played too nice."
In 2010, she did another item number "Parda Parda" in Milan Luthria's Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai and joined the cast of the Bollywood musical, Zangoora: The Gypsy Prince at Kingdom of Dreams, Gurgaon, where she plays the female lead.
Khan next appeared as outspoken and rebellious Samara Shroff in the action thriller Game (2011). Technorati stated that, "Except Gauhar and Abhishek Bachann the rest of the cast is strictly okay." NDTV said that "Gauhar as the loyal secretary Samara is nicely outfitted."
Khan played the Chand Bibi, in the 2012 romantic drama Ishaqzaade, in which she also did two item numbers "Jhalla Walla" and "Chokra Jawaan". Shomini Sen of Zee News stated that, "Gauhar as a kind-hearted prostitute Chand sizzles in two songs. It is pity that she is used so less in the film." Mrigank Dhaniwala from Koimoi stated, "Gauhar, who plays courtesan Chand, does very well." Taran Adarsh said, "Gauhar is lovely in a special role. Also, she dances very well in the two tracks."
- 2004 Aan: Men at Work Special appearance in the song "Nasha"
- 2004 Shankar Dada M.B.B.S. Special appearance in the song "Naa Pera Kanchan Mala"
- 2009 Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year as Koena Sheikh
- 2010 Once Upon a Time in Mumbai Special appearance in the song "Parda"
- 2011 Game as Samara Shroff/Natasha Malhotra
- 2012 Ishaqzaade as Chand Bibi
- 2010 - present Zangoora as Lachi
- Most Promising Newcomer - Female for Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year at Screen Awards 2010
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Female for Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year at Screen Awards 2010
- Best Breakthrough Performance - Female for Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year at Stardust Awards 2010
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role for Ishaqzaade at Renault Star Guild Awards 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gauhar Khan.|
- Gauhar Khan Biography, Gauhar Khan Profile. entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved on 2013-12-13.
- "Kingdom of Dreams formally opens to public". The Times of India. Sep 18, 2010.
- "Gauhar Khan: International Miss-ion". The Times of India. Jul 18, 2002.
- "Talking point with Gauhar Khan". Indian Express. Archived from the original on 2012-07-30.
- "Bhaichung Bhutia wins 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa'". ibnlive. May 31, 2009.
- "'Bigg Boss 7' complete list of contestants". Indian Express. Sep 15, 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "Expected Bigg Boss 7 contestant list revealed!". The Times of India. Sep 15, 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- [* Gauhar Khan Bigg Boss 7 Winner
- Rocket Singh | NDTV Movies.com. Movies.ndtv.com (2009-12-11). Retrieved on 2013-12-13.
- Rocket Singh: Salesman Of The Year | Namrata Joshi. Outlookindia.com (2009-12-28). Retrieved on 2013-12-13.
- Game (I) (2011). imdb.com
- Review: Game | NDTV Movies.com. Movies.ndtv.com (2011-04-01). Retrieved on 2013-12-13.
- Review 'Ishaqzaade': Almore haramzaade shine steadily!. Zeenews.india.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-13.
- "Ishaqzaade Review". koimoi. May 11, 2012.
- "Ishaqzaade". BollywoodHungama. May 11, 2012.
- "Final list of 'Bigg Boss' 7 contestants". DNA. Sept 16, 2013.
- "Nominations for 16th Star Screen Awards". OneIndiaEntertainment. Dec 31, 2009.
- "Nominations for Max Stardust Awards 2010". BollywoodHungama. Jan 16, 2010.
- "Star GuildNominations". StarGuildAwards. Feb 13, 2013.