Gautam Buddha University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
|Gautam Buddha University|
|गौतम बुद्ध विश्वविद्यालय|
|Established||2002 (Uttar Pradesh Gautam Buddha University Act 2002 UP Act no. 9 2002)|
|Students||5300 (maximum capacity); current = 3000+|
|Location||Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India
511 acres (2.07 km2)
- 1 About
- 2 Schools
- 3 Support facilities
- 4 Sports facilities
- 5 Student bodies
- 6 Courses
- 7 Admission criteria
- 8 References
The university was established by the Uttar Pradesh Gautam Buddha University Act 2002 UP Act no. 9 of 2002 and began its first academic session in 2008. The university is fully funded by the NOIDA and GNIDA (undertakings of the UP government) and recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). It is member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
School of Management
The school has classrooms computing facilities supported by a library of books, journals, films and databases. It has specialization groups (HRM, Marketing, Finance, Operations, and Strategy etc.) that organize weekly activities.
- School of Information & Communication Technology
- School of Vocational Studies and Applied Sciences
The school comprises the primary disciplines of Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics with two inter-disciplinary subjects: Environmental Science and Food Processing & Technology. It offers core courses in physical sciences to graduate students of Engineering, Biotechnology, Management, Information and Communication Technology. Apart from these courses, the school runs vocational courses of short duration.
School of Biotechnology
The school combines disciplines like molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, immunology, genetics and cell biology, which are in turn linked to practical disciplines like chemical engineering, physics, and information technology. The school is a centre of basic and applied research.
School of Engineering
The School of Engineering offers leadership opportunities with technical and professional augmentation establishments viz. the GBU-IEEE student chapter etc. Integrated master's degree programs are offered through the SOE. The college is enriched by Civil, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering and Architecture and Regional Planning departments.
School of Law, Justice & Governance
The school fosters advancement of learning, teaching and research in of law, justice and governance.
One of the main academic programmes, the five-year integrated BA LLB, was started in July 2012. At the time of admission in the first semester, the number of students enrolled in the course was 42. The programme attempts to strike a balance between the compulsory subjects prescribed by the Bar Council of India and subjects underscoring the interface between law, justice and governance. The school has the rare distinction of preparing BA LLB course curriculum and disclosing it to the stakeholders, months before the commencement. In the first semester of the programme, students participate in moot court practice, debate, essay writing and project works.
School of Buddhist Studies & Civilization
The school offers academic programmes at post-graduate and research level including M.A., M.Phil., and Ph.D. It gives knowledge of Buddhist History, Philosophy, and Literature in Pali, Sanskrit, Chinese, Burmese, Sinhalese and Tibetan languages and their literature. With a very rich library, a meditation centre, and a serene campus, the school enables the practice of Buddhist techniques of Vipassana meditation under qualified supervision.
It provides a forum for cross-cultural and international dialogues, with regular sessions with scholars, conventions, symposia, seminars, conferences, and lecture series. It is open to academic collaborations, joint research programmes and faculty and student exchange programmes with academic institutions of repute dedicated to Buddhist studies.
School of Humanities & Social Sciences
The school gives students an understanding of contemporary social issues through the inter-relationship of science, technology and management. It hosts an education programme that focuses on creating an understanding of the complexities of life in social context with emphasis on Indian cultural values and Buddhist ethics. The school is supported by a library with a large collection of books, journals, audio-visual aids and other learning materials.
School of Vocational Studies & Applied Sciences
The schoool of Vocational Studies & Applied Sciences offers courses in Applied Chemistry, Applied Physics, Applied Mathematics, Environmental Scinces and Food Processing & Technology.
- Bodhisattva Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Central Library
- Corporate Relations Cell
- Central Computer Center
- Student Accommodation and Hostel Facility (the university is fully residential)
- International Center and Guest House
- Bank, ATM and hospital
- Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Vipassana Dhyan Kendra
The Eklavya Sports Complex is spread over 58 acres with an indoor and outdoor stadium, equipped with facilities for the health and sports aspirations of the students. It has an Olympic-size swimming pool with a practice track and a gymnasium. A centrally air conditioned indoor basketball stadium (seating capacity = 5000), volleyball, badminton, table tennis, squash, handball and other indoor games.
- Cricket stadium with 650 seating capacity pavilion
- Astro-turf hockey stadium with 650-seat pavilion
- Synthetic athletic cum soccer stadium with 650-seat pavilion
- Practice arena for soccer and athletics
- Diving pool with spectators arena
- Synthetic basketball and volleyball arena with floodlight facility
- Cricket practice pitches
- Synthetic tennis arena with flood lights
- Tennis and table tennis
- Judo and wrestling
- Billiards and snooker
The cultural council of the university consists of following student bodies:
- Dishayan: dramatics club
- Swaranjali: music and dance club
- Pratibimb: photography club
- Adventure Club
- Arahant: literary club
- Drishtikon: debating Society
- Pradarsh: audio-visual education club
- Chitrakala: painting club
- Social Service Club
- Programming Club
- Integrated Dual Degree Program (B.Tech+M.Tech/MBA)
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Food Processing and technology
- Biotechnology (specialization in Bioinformatics/Genetic Engineering)
- Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch)
- Integrated Dual Degree Program (BBM+MBA)
- Masters in Urban and Regional Planning
- M.Tech in Environmental Engineering
- M.Tech in Power System Engineering.
- M.Tech in Industrial Engineering and Management
- M.Tech in Structural Engineering
- M.Tech in Environmental Sciences and Engineering for Science
- M.Tech in ICT for Science Graduates
- M.Tech Biotech for Science Graduates
- M.Tech Biotech for B.Tech/M.Sc Graduates
- M.Tech ICT for Engineering Graduates
- M.Tech Food Processing and Technology
- M.Sc Applied Chemistry
- M.Sc Applied Physics
- M.Sc Applied Mathematics
- M.Sc Environmental Science
- M.Sc Food Science
- M.A. (Buddhist Studies and Civilization)
- M.A. (Hindi, Urdu)
- M.A. Sociology
- M.A. in Economics Planning and Development
- M.A. in Political Science and International Relations
- M.A. in Applied Psychology
- MSW. (Master in Social Work)
- Master in Mass Communication (MMC)
- M.Phil in Clinical and Rehabilitation Psychology
The university conducts an entrance examination for each course. The candidates can appear for these examinations depending upon the fulfillment of the eligibility criteria. GPTU is the test for undergraduate level courses. GPT is the test for postgraduate level courses.
For more details visit:
- http://www.gbu.ac.in/gbu/User_Pages/ViewDynamicDetails.aspx?LinkId=2&WebsiteSource=GBU[dead link]
- "Mayawati inaugurates Gautam Buddha University, Uttar Pradesh News by". Indiaedunews.net. 2008-08-24. Retrieved 2012-07-25.
- http://www.gbu.ac.in/gbu/User_Pages/ViewDynamicDetails.aspx?LinkId=6&WebsiteSource=GBU[dead link]
- http://www.gbu.ac.in/gbu/User_Pages/ViewDynamicDetails.aspx?LinkId=299&WebsiteSource=GBU[dead link]