19 August 1985 |
Murgon, Queensland, Australia
|Height||197 cm (6 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||108 kg (17 st 0 lb)|
|2007–2008||Gold Coast Titans||36||3||0||0||12|
|2013||Prime Minister's XIII||0||0||0||0||0|
Gavin Cooper (born 19 August 1985 in Murgon, Queensland) is an Australian professional rugby league player who currently plays for the North Queensland Cowboys in the National Rugby League (NRL). He is currently in his second spell with the Cowboys, having also played in the NRL for the Penrith Panthers and the Gold Coast Titans. Cooper primarily plays in the second row, the position he prefers, but has also played in the centres.
Cooper started his NRL career with the Cowboys before moving to the Gold Coast Titans for the club's inaugural season in 2007. A good season made him a contender for selection to Queensland's State of Origin team. However, in 2008 Cooper had limited game time for the Titans and accepted a contract to play for the Penrith Panthers from 2009. After two seasons with the Panthers, Cooper returned to the North Queensland Cowboys on a contract for the 2011 and 2012 seasons. In 2011 he was a regular member of the Cowboys' first-grade side that made the NRL finals, and was named the team's "Club Person of the Year", because of his hard work on and off the field.
In 2011 Gavin Cooper was one of the NRL's most dangerous forwards, as he and Johnathan Thurston were a dynamic duo. Cooper is a strong runner and has great ability running through holes in defence. Cooper scored 6 tries and kicked 1 goal in 24 appearances in 2011, as well as a big number of line-breaks and tackle-breaks.
During the month of May 2012 the Cowboys announced they had re-signed Cooper until the end of the 2014 NRL season. He was in career best form; averaging 100 metres a game and 30 tackles.
After a strong season in 2013, he was selected in the Prime Ministers XIII side to take on Papua New Guinea which was his first representative jumper in the NRL.
On 12 May 2014 Cooper re-signed with the Townsville based club until the end of 2017. In round 11 of that season Cooper broke his hip and was ruled out for four months.
- Gavin Cooper rugbyleagueproject.org
- Thompson, Michael (30 May 2011). "Cooper moves over cautiously and helps JT score for Sam". Townsville Bulletin. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- Ricketts, Steve (2 May 2007). "Origin shot goes begging". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- Steve Mascord, Karl deKroo (8 August 2008). "Gavin Cooper to join Penrith Panthers from Titans". The Courier Mail. Retrieved 30 May 2009.
- AAP (27 August 2010). "Gavin Cooper rejoins Cowboys from Penrith". The Courier Mail. Retrieved 27 August 2010.
- Thompson, Michael (8 October 2011). "Quiet achiever key to Cowboys making finals". Townsville Bulletin. Retrieved 9 October 2011.