||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (August 2010)|
|Full name||Gavin Richard Skelton|
|Date of birth||27 March 1981|
|Place of birth||Carlisle, England|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Playing position||Defender / Midfielder|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19:03, 28 June 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Gavin Richard Skelton (born 27 March 1981 in Carlisle) is an English footballer who is currently the manager of Northern Premier League side Workington. Skelton led the Borough Park side to the Northern Premier League Play-offs in his first full season in charge, finally falling to Ilkeston Town in front of 1,500 supporters at Borough Park.
Skelton started his career at Carlisle United as a trainee. In 1997, after three years at Brunton Park he moved to non-league Workington Reds and one year later joined then Northern Premier League outfit Gretna. Gretna joined the Scottish Football League in 2002, eventually gaining promotion to the Scottish Premier League during the 2006/07 season. In the 2006 Scottish Cup final versus Hearts, Skelton missed the crucial kick in the penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw. His miss denied Gretna their first major trophy, however they still qualified for the UEFA Cup as a result of their run to the final.
Due to Gretna's financial difficulties, in April 2008 it was reported that Skelton was in talks with Kilmarnock and Aberdeen On 19 May 2008 Skelton was one of the remaining 40 staff members who were released by Gretna. Two days earlier, Skelton had scored the winning goal on his side's final SPL fixture against Hearts. In June 2008 Skelton signed for SPL side Kilmarnock but left the club under freedom of contract in June 2010.
His sister, Helen, is a television presenter who formerly worked on the popular children's television show Blue Peter. In order to gain coaching and managerial experience, Skelton coached the Stirling University team part-time, whilst playing for Kilmarnock FC.
- "Hearts 1-1 Gretna (4-2 on pens)". BBC Sport. 13 May 2006. Retrieved 23 March 2010.
- "Kilmarnock Could offer SPL Lifeline to Gretna's Gavin Skelton". Daily Record. 15 April 2008.
- "Gretna lay off remaining 40 staff". BBC Sport. 19 May 2008. Retrieved 19 May 2008.
- "Gretna 1-0 Hearts". BBC Sport. 14 May 2008. Retrieved 19 May 2008.
- "Skelton signs on for Kilmarnock". BBC News (BBC Sport). 11 June 2008. Retrieved 9 June 2008.
- "Hamilton Accies sign up Skelton". BBC Sport. 25 May 2010. Retrieved 25 May 2010.
- "Major Signing Announced". Barrow A.F.C. 6 July 2011. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- "Skelton appointed Workington Reds manager". News and Star. 2 May 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Gavin Skelton signs for Workington Reds as player coach". News and Star. 12 June 2013. Retrieved 10 October 2014.