Gaye Bykers on Acid
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)|
|Gaye Bykers on Acid|
|Genres||Rock, Psychedelic rock, Hip Hop, Grebo|
|Labels||Virgin Records, Naked Brain , Major League Productions (MLP)|
|Associated acts||Lesbian Dopeheads on Mopeds
Purple Fluid Exchange (PFX)
|Past members||Ian Hoxley
Gaye Bykers on Acid (GBOA) were an English psychedelic rock band from Leicester, and one of the founder members of the Grebo music scene. They later released both thrash punk and dance music albums under various aliases.
- Mary Byker (Ian Garfield Hoxley) – vocals
- Tony Byker/Phlegm Lubricant/Tony Shuttleburger/Sven Eleven- (Tony Horsfall) – guitar
- Robber Byker AKA (Ian Reynolds) – bass guitar
- Kev Byker/Cubehead Buffalo Hyde/ Gavina Hyde/Kenny Pride – (Kevin Hyde) – drums
- Rocket Ronnie (William Samuel Ronald Morrow) – turntablist
Gaye Bykers on Acid were formed in late 1984 by Ian Reynolds (Robber) and Ian Hoxley (Mary). They were later joined by guitarist and art student Tony Horsfall and drummer Kevin Hyde. Their first gig was at the Princess Charlotte in Leicester in mid-1985.
Their first releases – the single Everythang's Groovy and the Nosedive Karma EP – were both recorded in Leeds with Jon Langford of The Mekons, and released on the InTape label. They then signed to Virgin Records releasing the albums Drill Your Own Hole and Stewed to the Gills. The vinyl version of Drill Your Own Hole was pressed without a hole in the centre, so it was necessary to literally drill your own hole to play it. The album spent one week at number 95 in the UK Albums Chart in November 1987.
They also played gigs (dressed in women's clothing) under the name 'Lesbian Dopeheads on Mopeds', supporting themselves, and thus getting paid twice. They also performed as a fictitious East German thrash punk band "Rektüm" (they claimed to have jumped over the Berlin Wall), recording an LP Sakredanus and an EP Real Horror Show under the name.
However management problems and poor sales meant that they were dropped by Virgin in 1989. They subsequently released the album Cancer Planet Mission on their own record label, Naked Brain. They also recycled and used the band name 'The Purple Fluid Exchange' (PFX) to release their dance cross-over material. It was at this time that Rocket Ronnie joined the band as DJ, sample player and dance advisor.
In 1990 they released Pernicious Nonsense, their last studio album, recorded with Jon Langford at the Stone Room Studios and at Alaska St. Studios with house engineer Chelo Zambelli. After difficult tours in the US and UK the band broke up, the final blow being when the label Rough Trade, who distributed their Naked Brain recordings, went bankrupt owing them and many other bands considerable amounts of cash.
Two compilation albums were subsequently released on the Receiver record label, From the Tomb of the Near Legendary… (1992) and Gaye Bykers on Acid (1993). A further bootleg compilation of Virgin records studio demo's was sold by their ex-manager (Tracy Lamott) to Cherry Red Records – Everything's Groovy (2001).
Tony and Kev collaborated in 1993 to form 'Steroid', releasing one just CD album entitled 'Jism Harvester' on Clay Records, a crazy industrial mish mash of samples and guitar riffs.
The groups Total Anthology on DVD is available from Robber Byker at their official site and via their MySpace page (see external links below).
- Kevin Hyde formed the band G.R.O.W.T.H. and released an LP and 12" single.
- Tony returned to creating artworks, living and working in the Commonwealth of Dominica, West Indies. He is now currently working on his new music and videos as Tony Byker, with his own brand of Electro-Acoustic vibes in Tokyo, Japan. His new stuff can be found by following the links below.
- Robber now works as an underground DJ and film-maker. He records under the names Robber Byker and Surfin'Bernard (Robber Byker & Zoe Reynolds),They have released several Wonky Techno records on Shed Records, and remixes on Miditone.
- Mary has sung in the bands Pigface, Hyperhead, Apollo 440, and Maximum Roach. His current group is called "The Jungle". He also composes music for TV adverts. In 2011 he joined a new incarnation of Pop Will Eat Itself, replacing original member Clint Mansell.
- A tribute band called Lesbian Dope Heads on Mopeds occasionally plays biker events.
- Ronnie Rocket went on to open the Ambient Music store in London's Soho and still runs the associated label Worm Interface
|1986||"Everythang's Groovy"||7-inch and 12-inch single||InTape|
|1987||"Nosedive Karma"||7-inch, 10-inch and 12-inch single||InTape|
|1987||"Git Down (Shake Your Thang)"||7-inch, box set and 12-inch single||Virgin|
|1987||"All Hung Up"||7-inch, 12-inch, and 2x12-inch with Picture Disc||Virgin|
|1989||"Hot Thing"||7-inch, 10-inch and 12-inch single||Virgin|
|1991||"S.P.A.C.E." (as PFX)||12-inch single||Naked Brain|
|1991||"Killer Teens in New Orleans" (as PFX)||12-inch single||Naked Brain|
|1998||The BBC Sessions||EP||Strange Fruit|
|1989||Real Horror Show (as Rektüm)||12-inch EP||Manic Ears|
|1987||Drill Your Own Hole||LP/CS/CD and Video album||Virgin|
|1989||Stewed to the Gills||LP/CS/CD album||Virgin|
|1990||Cancer Planet Mission||LP/CS/CD album||Naked Brain|
|1990||Sakredanus (as Rektüm)||LP/CS/CD album||PSI|
|1990||Pernicious Nonsense (as PFX)||LP/CS/CD album||Naked Brain|
|1992||Gaye Bykers on Acid||CD album||Receiver|
|1993||From The Tomb of the Near Legendary...||CD album||Receiver|
|2001||Everything's Groovy||CD album||Cherry Red|
|2012||A Big Bad Beautiful Noize||CD album||Major League Productions|