King at the 2010 Time 100 Gala.
December 28, 1954 |
Chevy Chase, Maryland,
Morning news anchor
|Spouse(s)||William G. Bumpus (1983-1993) (divorced) 2 children|
Life and career
King was born in Chevy Chase, Maryland. Her father was an electrical engineer and her mother was a homemaker. As a result of her father's work, King spent several years of her childhood in Turkey, where she attended an American school. The family later returned to Maryland. She graduated from the University of Maryland in 1976 with a double degree in psychology and sociology. King then moved to Kansas City, Missouri where she was a reporter and weekend anchor at WDAF-TV. In 1981, she was hired as a news anchor for WFSB in Hartford, Connecticut, where she worked for 18 years. Part of that time, she lived in Glastonbury, CT. In 1991, King briefly cohosted an NBC daytime talk show with Robin Wagner called Cover to Cover until it was cancelled. In 1997 she was offered her own syndicated talk show, The Gayle King Show, which was later cancelled due to low ratings.
King joined O, The Oprah Magazine as an editor in 1999. She has also worked as a special correspondent for The Oprah Winfrey Show and Good Morning America. In September 2006, King began to host The Gayle King Show on XM Satellite Radio.
King was rumored to be considered as a replacement for both Star Jones Reynolds (in 2006) and Rosie O'Donnell (in 2007) as a host on The View, but neither of these came to fruition. King was also rumored to have been a potential replacement if co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck had left The View in May 2009.
On November 10, 2011, King secured a deal with CBS to co-anchor CBS This Morning, beginning on January 9, 2012. As a result, The Gayle King Show ended on November 17, 2011.
She was married to Bill Bumpus, an attorney and an assistant attorney general in Connecticut, from 1982 to 1993. She has a son and a daughter.
- Late Show with David Letterman, 2008-04-03.
- "Oprah�s BFF to 'The View'? Look Out, Star". Fox News. 2006-05-05.
- "Rosie O'Donnell Decided to Leave 'View' When Walters Failed to Defend Her Against Trump". Fox News. 2007-04-25.
- 'Charlie Rose and Gayle King to Join Revamped Early Show Next Year' TV Guide November 10, 2011
- The Howard Stern Show. Sirius XM Radio. Howard 100, New York. 8 Apr. 2009.
- The Howard Stern Show. Sirius XM Radio. Howard 100, New York. 23 Sept. 2009.
- "Gayle Opens Up About Ex-Husband's Cheating". CBS News.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gayle King.|