Front view of Islamic University of Technology
|• Body||Gazipur City Corporation|
|• City Mayor||M. A. Mannan|
|• Total||49.32 km2 (19.04 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 (est))|
|Time zone||Bangladesh Time (UTC+6)|
|National Calling Code||+880|
Gazipur (Bengali: গাজীপুর) is a city in central Bangladesh. It is located in the Gazipur District, near the capital city of Dhaka and has a population of 1 199 215. Gazipur is the home of Dhaka University of Engineering & Technology and Islamic University of Technology (IUT), the country's only international university in the fields of engineering and technology, is run and funded by OIC.
Population by year:
|588 540||866 540||1 199 215|
Gazipur District (Dhaka division), with an area of 1741.53 km², is bounded by Mymensingh and Kishoreganj districts on the north, Dhaka, Narayanganj and Narsingdi districts on the south, Narsingdi on the east, Dhaka and Tangail districts on the west. Annual average temperature maximum 36°C and minimum 12.7°C; annual rainfall 2376 mm.
Gazipur consists of 9 wards and 31 mahallas with an area of 49.32 km². The fast-growing town has a population more than 1 million and density more than 24,000 per km²; male 52.52%, female 47.48%.
There is head office of a national strong bank which is Progoti Co-operative Land Development Bank Limited, in the short name or a nickname, Progoti Bank in Kapasia Upazila Sadar, a small but very beautiful town nearly 30 kilometer north of Gazipur City what specializes in originating and/or servicing mortgage loans, is said that Progoti Bank is father of Land Development Banks in the country. Without it, branches of banking institutions in the area include:
- Sonali Bank
- Agrani Bank
- Grameen Bank
- Rupali Bank
- Islami Bank Bangladesh Ltd
- Bank Asia Limited
- Dutch Bangla Bank
- National Bank (Bangladesh)
- Mutual Trust Bank Limited
- BASIC Bank Limited
Gazipur Town is connected through the City Bus.Pubail have city service Mohakhali to Narshingdi; called PPL(Pubail Paribahan Ltd.). And Dhaka to Kaligonj; this name is KTL, Adshy and other bus.
Ajmeree—Nondon Park - Sadarghat
Provati-Bonoshri 1. Gulistan-Kaliakoir 2. Gulistan-Kapashia 3. Gulistan-Shripur, 4. Gulistan-Trimohony
Gazipur paribahan ltd.--Dhaka-Gazipur
Dhaka paribahan ltd.--Motijhiil-Gazipur
VIP 27.-- Chowrasta -Azimpur
Balaka Paribahan.--Shib bari Bazar -Sodrorghat.
Major sites and establishments
- Islamic University of Technology (IUT)
- Bangladesh Rice Research Institute (BRRI)
- Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI)
- Central Extension Resources Development Institute (CERDI)
- Seed Certification Agency (SCA)
- Bangladesh Ordnance Factories (BOF)
- BRAC Dairy Farm
- Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology (DUET)
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BSMRAU)
- Progoti Co-operative Land Development Bank Limited (Progoti Bank)
- Bangladesh Machine Tools Factory (BMTF)
- Bangladesh Diesel Plant Ltd. (BDP)
- National University (NU)
- Bangladesh Open University (BOU)
- The Security Printing Corporation (Bangladesh) Ltd. (SPCBL)
There are five universities in Gazipur — Islamic University of Technology, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (formerly the Institute of Postgraduate Studies on Agriculture), Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh Open University and Bangladesh National University. Islamic University of Technology (IUT) is accredited as an International University by University Grants Commission (Bangladesh). IUT is a subsidiary organ of OIC. Educational institutions in the area include:
- পূবাইল সেন্ট্রাল কলেজ (Pubail Central College), মীরের বাজার,পূবাইল, টঙ্গী, গাজীপুর,
- Abir Biddanikaton, Pubail, Gazipur
- Ideal Pre Cadet School Gazipur , Barobika, Chandona, Gazipur
- Pubail Central College, Mirer Bazar, Pubail, Tongi, Gazipur
- M A Aziz Peace Institute of Technology, (Peaceful Technology for the Solution of Humanity),BTEB-53084,West Chatter, Gazipur-1703, Bangladesh
- Azmatpur Adarsha School & College, Kaliganj
- Jangalia High School
- Berua A R Khan High School
- St. Nicolas High School, Nagori, Kaligonj
- Bhawal Badre Alam Govt. College
- Kazi Azim Uddin College
- Pubail Adarsha College
- Rani Bilashmoni Govt. Boys' High School, Joydebpur, Gazipur.
- Vadun High School.
- V.S.A.J Ansar V.D.P School And College, Shafipur, Kaliakoir, Gazipur
- Mouchak Scout High School, Mouchak, Kaliakoir, Gazipur
- West Chandana Govt. Primary School
- Chandana High School
- Banshtali Govt. Primary School
- Golamnobi Pilote High School
- Barmi Bazar High School
- Barmi Jamia Anwaria Madrasa, Biggest Kowmi Madrasa in Gazipur
- Pubail High School
- KIDS PARK SCHOOL, Pubail, Gazipur
- Barai Bari A K U Institution & College, Kaliakoir
- Gazipur Cantonment College
- Kalpar Pollimangul High School,Kaliakoir
- Shafiuddin Sarker Academy and College
- Tongi Pilot School and Girls College
- Kamarjury Yousuf Ali Hight School, Kamarjury, Gasha
- Kalmeswer Rokeya Soroni Girl's High School, Board Bazar
- Khandakar Rojob Ali Biddiya Niketon, Board Bazar, Gazipur
- Gasha High School, Gasha.
- Badsha Mia High School
- Tongi govt. college
- M E H Arif College,Konabari,Gazipur
- Khailkor Badshah Miah Agranaye Biddalaya, Gazipur
- Ta'mirul Millat Kamil Madrasha (Tongi Campus)
- Telihaty High School
- Empo Angels School
- Rangamatia High School, Kaligonj
- Sreepur University College
- Abdul Awal College
- Piar Ali college
- Hatimara High School and College
- Rover poly degree college
- Bhawal mirzapur degree college
- Baw para govt. primary school
- Abder bazar govt. primary school
- Kapasia Degree college
- Bhasa Shahid Abdul Jabbar College and High School (formerly known as Ansar VDP High School)
- Rajendrapur cant. public school & college
- Jogirsit high school
- Satkhamair high school
- Gazipur City College, Chandana Chawrasta
- Gzzipur City Model School, Chandana Chawraste, Gazipur
- ARSI Multimedia School
- M.M.Neaz-Uddin High School
- Matrykole Pre-Cadet school
- Silmoon Abdul Hakim Master High school
- Pubail Muktilateral High school
- Kaligonj Shramik (Degree) College
- Kaligonj Women College
- Kaligonj RRN Pilot High School
- Kaligonj Govt. Girls High School
- Rangamatia Govt. Primary School, Kaligonj
- Kayer High School, Kaligonj
- Badsha Mia High School, Boardbazar
- Tomilia Boys High School, Kaligonj
- St. Merry's Girls High School, Tomilia, Kaligonj
- Holy Model School, Tengra, Sreepur, Gazipur
- Barai bari A K U Institution and Collage
One of the most historic schools is Rani Bilash Moni Govt Boys High School which is more than 100 years old. Kaligonj RRN Pilot High School is an old and renowned school. Vadun High School is another old and historic school that was established in 1938 at Vadun in Pubail. Bhasa Shahid Abdul Jabbar College and High School is not only well known for its academic excellence but also for its students' success in sports and cultural competition in national level including splendid handball performance in sports and streak of winning in sections like song, debate, general knowledge, dance, essay writing, acting every year. There is a new medical college started in February 2012 named City Medical College and Hospital.
- Tajuddin Ahmed - the First Prime Minister of Bangladesh
- Chowdhury Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky, founder member of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) & member of highest decision making body of BNP Standing Committee; Former Commerce Minister in the Cabinet of President Ziaur Rahman and President Abdus Sattar, Former President of FBCCI
- Prof. M A Mannan,Member of advisory committee of BNP Chairperson, Ex State Minister, Ministry of Science and Technology and Ministry of religion of Govt. of Bangladesh, Ex MP
- Mr. Kazi Mozammel Hoque - Freedom Fighter and The First Member of Parliament of Gazipur. Ex Labour Secretary Bangladesh Awami League Central Working Committee, Ex Working President Jatio Sramik League Central Committee, Ex Founder Presidium Member Bangladesh Awami Jubo League Central Committee. Now; Commander Gazipur District Unit Command, Bangladesh Muktijuddhah Shangshad.
- Professor Dr M A Matin (MS Alberta,PhD Uppsala), Vice-Chancellor, Jahangirnagar University, Ex-chairman Department of Statistics, Ex-president, Jahangirnagar University A distinguished International Scholar.
- Professor Dr Golam Hossain, Prof of Jahangirnagar university, Founder Secretary General Of Bangladesh Jatiotabadi Chatradal, Central Committee. Well known International research fellow.
- Md. Saiful Islam Mollah, Founder & Chairman at Progoti Co-operative Land Development Bank Limited (Progoti Bank).
- Prof. Dr. Md.Moniruzzaman, Chairman, Dept. of Geography and Environment, Jagannath University, Dhaka-1100
- Ms. Nasrin Jewena (MSc JU, PhD Researcher, Kumamoto University, Japan), Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka-1342.
- Shahid (martyr) Hurmat Ali
- Bhasha Shahid (language movement martyr) Abdur Jabbar
- Gonbindo Chondro Das (Nature Poet)
- Shahid Ahsan Ullah Master.
- Akhtaruzzaman (Current Jila Parishad Administrator, Former MP, DUCSU VP)
- Rajanikant Barman (Bangladesh National Football Team)
- S.M Tofazzal Hossain MBA, Managing Director, Asia Accessories Limited.
- Md. Hasan Uddin Sarker (Freedom Fighter,First chairman of tongi pouroshava,Ex Labour Leader, Ex Chairman of Bangladesh Krishi Bank,Ex Member of Parliament of Gazipur-2,Now Central Leader Of BNP)
- Chitta Francis Rebeiro is a journalist and Editor Of The Shikha Onirban.
- Group Captain Nurul Islam (former Bangladesh Airforce,Chairman,Dhaka WASA and Chittagong WASA)
- Nurul Islam (Bhawal Rotno), Ex Head Master of Rani Bilash Moni Govt. Boys' High School
- Nazmul Ahsan Khaled : Managing Director Khaled Group of Companies
- ADVOCAT AZMATULLAH KHAN: EX MAYOR OF TONGI POUROSHAVA
- Jerald Durantio Rebeiro, is an Organizer and Social Activity.
- Prof.M E H Arif khan:Founder of MEH Arif college and misir Ali khan memorial college
- Shahid Nomej Uddin, Barabo, Kaliakior who died during freedom fighting in 1971.
- Noorjahan khanam: Head of Abir Biddanikaton, Pubail, Gazipur
- Syed Amin Uddin: Founder of Abir Biddanikaton, Pubail, Gazipur