|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2008)|
Location of Gazipur in Bangladesh
|• Total||1,806.36 km2 (697.44 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Density||1,900/km2 (4,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
|• Summer (DST)||BDST (UTC+7)|
Gazipur District (Bengali: গাজীপুর জেলা) is a district of Dhaka Division. It has an area of 1806.36 km2.
- Gazipur City Corporation (গাজীপুর সিটি কর্পোরেশন) is the Largest City Corporation of Bangladesh.
Gazipur (Town) has 9 wards and 31 mahallas. The area of the town is 49.32 km2. The town's population is 123,531; male 52.52%, female 47.48%; density is 2,505 per km2. Various establishments such as Islamic University of Technology, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BSMRAU), Bangladesh Rice Research Institute (BRRI), Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI), Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology, and others are located here.
Administrator of Zila Porishod: Akhteruzzaman 
Deputy Commissioner (DC): Nurul Islam 
Gazipur district was established in 1984. It has 6 upazilas, 46 union parishads, 710 mouzas, 2 municipalities and 1163 villages.
There are five universities in Gazipur — Islamic University of Technology, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (formerly the Institute of Postgraduate Studies on Agriculture), Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh Open University and Bangladesh National University. Islamic University of Technology (IUT) is accredited as International University by University Grants Commission (Bangladesh). IUT is a subsidiary organ of OIC. Educational institutions in the area include:
- Pubail Central College, Mirer Bazar, Pubail, Tongi, Gazipur
- Janata High School, Fuldi, Kaligonj, Gazipur.
- The Scholars' College
- M A Aziz Peace Institute of Technology,(Peaceful Technology for the Solution of Humanity)
BTEB-53084,West Chatter, Gazipur-1703, Bangladesh
- Tapir Bari High School
- Azmatpur Adarsha School & College, Kaliganj
- Jangalia High School
- Berua A R Khan High School
- St. Nicolas High School, Nagori, Kaligonj
- Bhawal Badre Alam Govt. College
- Kazi Azim Uddin College.
- Pubail Adarsha college
- Rani Bilash Moni Govt Boys High School
- Vadun High School.
- V.S.A.J Ansar V.D.P School And College, Shafipur, Kaliakoir, Gazipur
- Mouchak Scout High School, Mouchak, Kaliakoir, Gazipur
- West Chandana Govt. Primary School
- Chandana High School
- Banshtali Govt. Primary School
- Golamnobi Pilote High School
- Barmi Bazar High School
- Barmi Jamia Anwaria Madrasa, Biggest Kowmi Madrasa in Gazipur.
- Pubail High School
- KIDS PARK SCHOOL, Pubail, Gazipur
- Barai Bari A K U Institution & College,Kaliakoir.
- Gazipur Cantonment College
- Kalpar Pollimangul High School,Kaliakoir.
- Shafiuddin Sarker Academy and College
- Tongi Pilot School and Girls College
- Kamarjury Yousuf Ali Hight School, Kamarjury, Gasha.
- Kalmeswer Rokeya Soroni Girl's High School, Board Bazar.
- Khandakar Rojob Ali Biddiya Niketon, Board Bazar,Gazipur
- Gasha High School, Gasha.
- Badsha Mia High School
- Tongi govt. college
- M E H Arif College,Konabari,Gazipur
- Khailkor Badshah Miah Agranaye Biddalaya, Gazipur
- Ta'mirul Millat Kamil Madrasha (Tongi Campus)
- Telihaty High School
- Empo Angels School
- Rangamatia High School, Kaligonj
- Sreepur University College
- Abdul Awal College
- Piar Ali college
- http://www.hatimaracollege.com/ *Hatimara High School and College
- Rover poly degree college
- Bhawal mirzapur degree college
- Baw para govt. primary school
- Abder bazar govt. primary school
- Kapasia Degree college
- Bhasa Shahid Abdul Jabbar College and High School (formerly known as Ansar VDP High School)
- Rajendrapur cant. public school & collage,jogirsit high school
- Satkhamair high school,
- Gazipur City College, Chandana Chawrasta,http://www.gazipurcitycollege.com
- Gzzipur City Model School, Chandana Chawraste, Gazipur.
- ARSI Multimedia School
- M.M.Neaz-Uddin High School
- Matrykole Pre- Cadet school.
- Silmoon Abdul Hakim Master High school
- Pubail Muktilateral High school
- Kaligonj Shramik (Degree) College
- Kaligonj Women College
- Kaligonj RRN Pilot High School
- Kaligonj Govt. Girls High School
- Rangamatia Govt. Primary School, Kaligonj
- Kayer High School, Kaligonj
- Badsha Mia High School,Boardbazar
- Tomilia Boys High School, Kaligonj
- St. Merry's Girls High School, Tomilia, Kaligonj
- Holy Model School, Tengra,Sreepur,Gazipur
- Rangamatia High School.
- Dagari Adarsha High School, Mirzapur, Gazipur Sadar, Gazipur
- Saturia Sulhaty High School,Haturia Chala,Kaliakoir,Gazipur.
- Cantonment BOF English School, Gazipur cantonment. Simoltoli, Gazipur.
- Pioneer Model School, Karomtola, Gazipur
- Panjora Girls High School, Nagori, Kaligonj,
- Aloha Bangladesh, Gazipur center. D-84 1st Floor, College Road, Chiabethi, Joydevpur, Gazipur.
- Dullsmudra Primary School Kaliakoir,Gazipur.
- Dullsmudra Girls School Kaliakoir,Gazipur.
- Habuarchala Primary School Kaliakoir,Gazipur.
- Gosaibari Alia Madrasha Kaliakoir,Gazipur.
- Barai Bari Adarsha Degree Collage Kaliakoir,Gazipur.
One of the most historic schools is Barai Bari A K U Institution & College, Rani Bilash Moni Govt Boys High School which is more than 100 years old. Kaligonj RRN Pilot High School is also old & renowned school. Vadun High School is another old and historic school that established in 1938 at Vadun in Pubail. Bhasa Shahid Abdul Jabbar College and High School is not only well known for its academic excellence but also for its students' success in sports and cultural competition in national level including splendid handball performance in sports and streak of winning in sections like song, debate, general knowledge, dance, essay writing, acting every year. Recently there is a new medical college started in February 2012 named City Medical College and Hospital.
There is head office of a national strong bank which is Progoti Co-operative Land Development Bank Limited, in the short name or a nickname, Progoti Bank in Kapasia Upazila Sadar, a small but very beautiful town nearly 30 kilometer north of Gazipur City what specializes in originating and/or servicing mortgage loans, is said that Progoti Bank is father of Land Development Banks in the country. Without it, branches of banking institutions in the area include:
- Sonali Bank
- Agrani Bank
- Grameen Bank
- Rupali Bank
- Islami Bank Bangladesh Ltd
- Bank Asia Limited
- Dutch Bangla Bank
- National Bank (Bangladesh)
- Mutual Trust Bank Limited
- BASIC Bank Limited
In Gazipur District majority of the people are Muslims. Hindu and Christian People are also live in amity with the large number of Muslims.
Places of interest
- Bhawal National Park,Gazipur
- Nandan Park
- Ansar VDP Academy
- Jomidar Bari, Baliadi, Kaliakoir
- Kalinarayana Temple(circa 1900,Built by Maharaja Kalinarayana of Bhawal), Joydebpur
- Vawal Rajbari, one-time home of Prince Ramendra Narayan of the Bhawal case, Joydebpur
- Tongi Ahsan Ullah Master Ural Setu
- Pubail Resort
- Zinda Park
- Mollah Eco Park (Processing), Kudabo, Pubail, Gazipur
- St. Antony Church, Panzora
- St. Nicolas Churge, Nagori (1695)
- Nurjahan Garden (Meghdubi, Pubail, Gazipur)
- Kudabo Eidgah (The Largest Eidgah of Gazipur), Kudabo, Pubail, Gazipur
- Pubail Rahamania Masjid EIDGAH Moidan (Pubail Railway Station, Gazipur)
- MOLLAH BARI (Kudabo, Pubail, Gazipur)
- Sarkar Bari (the dream of nation)
- Munshi Bari Banglo .(it is the symbol of beauty)Munshi Bari,Kudabo,Pubail,Gazipur
- Pushpodam Picnic spot
- Waiddadegi, Telihaty, Sreepur
- Rangamatia Jesus Sacred Heart Church, Kaligonj (1889)
- St. Baptist Jhon Church, tomolia (1844)
- St. Agustin Church, Mothbari
- Joyna Bazar, Sreepur
- Abder Bazar (Lohai Bazar ), Telihaty
- Rover polly high school & degree college, Gazipur
- Rebeiro Bari, Rangamatia, Kaligonj
- Bishaw Estema maydhan. The second largest mass of the Muslim around the world is Estema. Thousands of Muslims from many countries comes here and stay for 3 days just beside the River Turag.
- Rajendrapur cant.
Thana and subdistricts of Gazipur
Gazipur District is divided by following Thana's :
- Dhaka-Tongi diversion road has connected Gazipur with Dhaka.
- There are 7 railway stations in the Gazipur district. They are: Rajendrapur, Sripur, Dhirasrom, Joydevpur, Tongi, satkhamair and Pubail.
- Tongi - Kaligonj diversion road.
- Prothom Alo (National)
- The Daily Kaler kantho (National)
- The Daily Samakal (National)
- The Daily Janakhanta (National)
- The Daily Jugantar (National)
- gazipur24 (Local)
||This list of "famous" or "notable" persons has no clear inclusion or exclusion criteria. Please help to define clear inclusion criteria and edit the list to contain only subjects that fit those criteria. (February 2014)|
- Mr. Tajuddin Ahmed - The First Prime Minister of Bangladesh
- Chowdhury Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky, Founder member of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) & member of highest decision making body of BNP Standing Committee; Former Commerce Minister in the Cabinet of President Ziaur Rahman and President Abdus Sattar, Former President of FBCCI
- Prof. M A Mannan,Member of advisory committee of BNP Chairperson, Ex State Minister, Ministry of Science and Technology and Ministry of religion of Govt. of Bangladesh, Ex MP
- Mr. Kazi Mozammel Hoque - Freedom Fighter and The First Member of Parliament of Gazipur. Ex Labour Secretary Bangladesh Awami League Central Working Committee, Ex Working President Jatio Sramik League Central Committee, Ex Founder Presidium Member Bangladesh Awami Jubo League Central Committee. Now; Commander Gazipur District Unit Command, Bangladesh Muktijuddhah Shangshad.
- Professor Dr Golam Hossain, Prof of Jahangirnagar university, Founder Secretary General Of Bangladesh Jatiotabadi Chatradal, Central Committee. Well known International research fellow.
- Md. Saiful Islam Mollah, Founder & Chairman at Progoti Co-operative Land Development Bank Limited (Progoti Bank).
- Prof. Dr. Md.Moniruzzaman, Chairman, Dept. of Geography and Environment, Jagannath University, Dhaka-1100
- Shahid (martyr) Hurmat Ali
- Bhasha Shahid (language movement martyr)Abdur Jabbar
- Gonbindo Chondro Das (Nature Poet)
- Shahid Ahsan Ullah Master.
- Akhtaruzzaman (Current Jila Parishad Administrator, Former MP, DUCSU VP)
- Rajanikant Barman (Bangladesh National Football Team)
- S.M Tofazzal Hossain MBA, Managing Director, Asia Accessories Limited.
- Md. Hasan Uddin Sarker (Freedom Fighter,First chairman of tongi pouroshava,Ex Labour Leader, Ex Chairman of Bangladesh Krishi Bank,Ex Member of Parliament of Gazipur-2,Now Central Leader Of BNP)
- Chitta Francis Rebeiro is a journalist and Editor Of The Shikha Onirban.
- Group Captain Nurul Islam (former Bangladesh Airforce,Chairman,Dhaka WASA and Chittagong WASA)
- Nurul Islam (Bhawal Rotno), Ex Head Master of Rani Bilash Moni Govt. Boys' High School
- Nazmul Ahsan Khaled : Managing Director Khaled Group of Companies
- ADVOCAT AZMATULLAH KHAN: EX MAYOR OF TONGI POUROSHAVA
- Jerald Durantio Rebeiro, is a Organizer and Social Activity.
- Prof.M E H Arif khan:Founder of MEH Arif college and misir Ali khan memorial college
- Shahid Nomej Uddin, Barabo, Kaliakior who died during freedom fighting in 1971.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Gazipur District.|