Gearóid Ó hAllmhuráin
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
Gearóid Ó hAllmhuráin, born in Ennis, County Clare, is a leading Irish ethnomusicologist, author, musician and historian specializing in Irish music, diaspora, cultural and memory studies.
Professor Gearóid Ó hAllmhuráin is the inaugural holder of The Johnson Chair in Québec and Canadian Irish Studies at Concordia University, Montréal, Quebec. One of only a handful of universities offering a Major, Minor and Certificate in Irish Studies, the School of Canadian Irish Studies courses focus on Ireland’s history and culture, its modern transformation in the Celtic Tiger era, and the social, cultural, economic, religious, educational and political contributions of Irish immigrants to Canada. The Johnson Chair focuses on the contributions of Quebecers of Irish origin to the social, cultural, religious and economic evolution of Québec.
The Johnson Chair in Québec and Canadian Irish Studies is named in honour of the Johnson family, well known to Quebecers for their years of public service. Daniel Johnson, Sr. and his two sons, Daniel Johnson, Jr. and Pierre-Marc Johnson, each Premiers of Québec, represented three different political parties.
From 2000-2009, O hAllmhurain was the Jefferson Smurfit Professor of Irish Studies and Professor of Music at the University of Missouri-St. Louis.
A former member of The Kilfenora Céilí Band, Gearoid O hAllmhurain is a five-time All Ireland Champion musician (uilleann pipes, concertina and céili band). A fourth generation Clare concertina player, he learned from Clare concertina master Paddy Murphy. He has performed and recorded with noted Irish fiddlers Paddy Canny, Peader O'Loughlin, Martin Hayes, and Patrick Ourceau, as well as French Canadian fiddle master Pierre Schryer.
Noted Publications & Productions
- Author, A Pocket History of Irish Traditional Music, O'Brien Press, Dublin, 1998.
- Contributor, The Encyclopaedia of Music in Ireland (EMIR), University College Dublin Press, 2013.
- Contributor, Companion to Irish Traditional Music, Cork University Press.
- Contributor, The Celts in the Americas, University of Cape Breton Press, 2013.
- Producer, The Paddy Murphy Memorial Project: Preserving the Music and Legacy of a Pioneer of the Irish Concertina Paddy Murphy (1913-1992) Fiach Roe, County Clare, Ireland.
- Consultant, Photos to Send: Retracing Dorothy Lange’s Travels through Ireland, an award winning documentary on the American photographer’s visit to Ireland in 1955.
- Traditional Music From Clare and Beyond (Celtic Crossings, San Francisco, 1996) with noted Irish fiddlers Paddy Canny, Peader O'Loughlin, Martin Hayes
- Tracin’ – Traditional Music from the West of Ireland, classic duet CD with fiddler Patrick Ourceau (Celtic Crossings, San Francisco, 1999)
- The Independence Suite – Traditional Music from Ireland, Scotland and Cape Breton (Celtic Crossings, San Francisco, 2004)
- Paddy Murphy: Field Recordings from a Pioneer of the Irish Concertina (2007), which was also published as a digital archive (Celtic Crossings, San Francisco, 2008)
- Canada. "Johnson Chair in Quebec and Canadian Irish Studies - Canadian-Irish Studies - Concordia University - Montreal, Quebec, Canada". Cdnirish.concordia.ca. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Paddy Murphy - Pioneer of the Irish Concertina". Paddymurphy.livingtraditionsproject.org. 1981-09-26. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Gearoid O hAllmhurain (Author) (2004-04-01). "O'Brien Pocket History of Irish Traditional Music (Pocket History series): Gearoid O hAllmhurain: 9780862788209: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "University College Dublin Press". Ucdpress.ie. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Companion to Irish Traditional Music · Writers". Companion.ie. 2011-11-24. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Michael Newton. "Celts in the Americas | Cape Breton University PressCape Breton University Press". Cbup.ca. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "Paddy Murphy - Pioneer of the Irish Concertina". Paddymurphy.livingtraditionsproject.org. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- from Laurie Lezin-Schmidt 3 years ago Not Yet Rated (2010-06-12). "Trailers - Photos To Send (Dorothea Lange) on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.