Gee (Girls' Generation song)
|Single by Girls' Generation|
|from the album Gee|
|Released||January 5, 2009|
|Genre||K-pop, dance-pop, bubblegum pop|
|Writer(s)||Ahn Myung-won, Kim Young-deuk|
|Girls' Generation Korean singles chronology|
"Gee" is the lead single from the album Gee by South Korean girl group Girls' Generation. It was released on online music sites on January 5, 2009, with the physical release of the EP on January 7. It quickly went to #1 on various charts and eventually set a record for being #1 on KBS's music chart show Music Bank for 9 consecutive weeks.
The music video for "Gee" was the most viewed K-pop video on YouTube from September 2011 to September 1, 2012, after surpassing a live performance of "Nobody" by Wonder Girls and until being in its turn surpassed by "Gangnam Style" by Psy and later by Hyuna's "Oppa Is Just My Style".
"Dancing Queen" was supposed to be the group's lead single/title track for their first Korean EP but due to its last minute copyright issues, the song was replaced by "Gee". "Dancing Queen" was later released as single on their fourth Korean album "I Got a Boy" on January 1, 2013.
The song is featured on the Chinese dating television show If You Are The One which has an audience of up to 50 Million people. The beginning of first the first verse plays as two girls walk up the catwalk to potentially be selected by the contestant.
- 1 Background
- 2 Composition
- 3 Chart performance
- 4 Tracklisting
- 5 Music videos
- 6 Live performances
- 7 In popular culture
- 8 Awards
- 9 Charts
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Various media outlets reported that Girls' Generation would return in January 2009, after a 9-month hiatus. The song's release was preceded by various teaser posters around Seoul, released on December 26, and a 25-second teaser video. After its digital release, interest in the song rose greatly, topping Cyworld's hourly music chart on the day of release and topping 6 different digital music charts within two days.
|Single by Girls' Generation|
|from the album Girls' Generation (2011)|
|Released||October 20, 2010 (Japan)
December 11, 2010 (Philippines)
|Format||CD single, Digital download|
|Girls' Generation Japanese singles chronology|
On October 20, 2010 a Japanese version of "Gee" was released as the second single from the group's debut Japanese album, Girls' Generation, in three versions on CD and DVD. At the end of September, the Japanese "Gee" version was released to be played on radio stations.
"Gee" is a fast-tempo song about a girl who has fallen in love for the first time. The title is supposed to be an exclamation of surprise, similar to "어머나!" (Eomeona!, similar in meaning to "Oh, my goodness!", or, more similarly, "Gee!" in English).
A week after its release, "Gee" went #1 on Music Bank; however, questions were raised when the group did not appear on the program, with rumors spreading regarding a possible rift between S.M. Entertainment and KBS. "Gee" also went to #1 on SBS's 인기가요 (Inkigayo) a week after their return.
"Gee" first tied with "Nobody" by the Wonder Girls for the longest-running #1 on music portal M.Net (6 weeks). The song then broke the record by staying on top a seventh week, and remained in the position for an eighth week. It also tied then broke the record for longest-running #1 on KBS's Music Bank, beating the 7-week record previously set by Jewelry in 2008 with "One More Time". "Gee" achieved its ninth #1 on the show on March 13, 2009.
S.M. Entertainment stated that over 100,000 copies of the mini-album were shipped to stores, while sales analyst company Hanteo reported sales in excess of 30,000 copies within the first 10 days of its release.
Girls' Generation also had success in Japan with their second Japanese single "Gee". They took second place and were crowned the first ever overseas girl group to claim this position. On October 26, 2010 it was announced that their Japanese 2nd single "Gee" reached #1 on the Oricon Daily chart, making them the first non-Japanese Asian girl group to reach number 1 on the chart. The song was ranked fifty-seventh on the Japan Hot 100 2010 year-end chart. On December 20, 2012, the girls added another accomplishment to their belt as the RIAJ (Recording Industry Association of Japan) website updated their charts showing that SNSD's Chaku Uta Full (full mobile) downloads for "Gee" went Triple Platinum. The RIAJ certifies Platinum as moving 250,000 units, so Triple Platinum would mean that the girls had over 750,000 downloads for "Gee".
|1.||"Gee [ジー; Ji-]" (Japanese version)||Kanata Nakamura||E-Tribe||E-Tribe||3:23|
|2.||"Gee [지; Ji]" (Korean version)||E-Tribe||E-Tribe||E-Tribe||3:23|
|3.||"Gee" (Without main vocal)||E-Tribe||E-Tribe||3:21|
|1.||"Gee" (Music video)|
|2.||"Gee" (Music video – Dance version) (First Press only)|
There are three full music videos for the Korean version of Gee. The video with the storyline was released on January 7, 2009. It features the girls as mannequins in a store who come to life after the employee closes and leaves the store. Shinee member Minho plays the employee. At the end of the video, the girls run away as they're mannequins and Minho comes in and looks at a work board. The dance scenes show the girls dancing in a white room wearing different colored shorts. The music video for "Gee" accumulated over a million views within a day of its release, and has over 101 million hits on YouTube as of 1 May 2013. The other two videos are dance versions of the music video. The first one shows the girls dancing in the store, without the "mannequin storyline" while the second one simply shows the girls dancing before a white background which is used in the original music video. Originally, the concept of the music video was a reused version of their scrapped lead single/title track "Dancing Queen" which was later released on 2013 as one of the singles of their fourth Korean album "I Got a Boy".
On September 30, 2010, a teaser for "Gee" was released. In the teaser, it shows the girls as mannequins in their own dress up area. The video has no mannequin storyline this time though.
On October 6, 2010, the Japanese music video of "Gee" was released. Shinee's Minho once again plays a role, this time as a customer, of the store run by Girls' Generation. Throughout the video they dance in the shop, and instead of showing them wearing different colored shorts like Pink, Green or Yellow as they did in the Korean version, this time they wore jeans. It also has new scenes of the girls dressing up, which are in the second chorus. When Minho comes in the store the girls hear the door and they drop everything in their hands, but pick them back up and run to Minho. There are still mannequins in the video this time but they are real ones and cannot come alive. The video shows the girls hiding behind the mannequins at the very beginning.
In popular culture
A parody of "Gee", called "Hee", has gained popularity among Korean citizens. It is a combination of the instrumental of "Gee" and some extremely venomous dialogue from the drama Temptation of Wife.
A viral video named Showa Era Gee (Grandpa Showa era) (Gee しょうわ時代 （爺爺爺－昭和時代))?) was posted on YouTube on Aug 15, 2011 featuring elderly men in a shoe shop dancing to the Japanese version of "Gee". The video was originally on SMAPxSMAP Japanese show. It was also posted on Smosh website and was reviewed by "AtomicMari" on "Smosh Pit Weekly".
A popular CGI movie series:Dead Fantasy used the song in a music video for the series.
It is often commonly referenced in video game forums based on the repeated use of the phonetic sound "GG" (good game) which is common in many video games.
- Cyworld Digital Music Awards: Song of the Month (January)
- Cyworld Digital Music Awards: Bonsang Award
- 19th Seoul Music Awards: Bonsang Award
- 19th Seoul Music Awards: Digital Album Award
- 19th Seoul Music Awards: Daesang Award
- Gaon Chart: Digital Music Award ("Gee")
- 7th Korean Music Awards: Song of the Year
- 2009 Melon Music Awards: Song Of The Year
- 2009 Melon Music Awards: Odyssey
- 24th Golden Disk Awards: Digital Bonsang Award
- 24th Golden Disk Awards: Digital Daesang Award
- 52nd Japan Record Awards: New Artist (Girls' Generation "Gee" [Japanese version])
|Released||Oricon Chart||Peak||Debut Sales||Sales Total||Chart Run|
|October 20, 2010||Daily Singles Chart||1||66,203 (weekly)||217,136||50 weeks|
|Weekly Singles Chart||2|
|Monthly Singles Chart||7|
|Yearly Singles Chart||49|
Billboard Japan Charts
|Billboard Japan Adult Contemporary Airplay||1|
|Billboard Japan Hot Top Airplay||2|
|Billboard Japan Hot Singles Sales||2|
|Billboard Japan Hot 100||2|
|Billboard Japan Hot 100 Yearly ends 2010 ||57|
|Billboard Japan Hot 100 Yearly ends 2011 ||23|
|Gaon Singles Chart (Korean version)||1|
|Gaon 2009 Year-End Singles Charts (Korean version)||1|
|RIAJ Digital Track Chart||1|
|RIAJ Digital Track Chart Yearly Top 100 2010||42|
|RIAJ Digital Track Chart Yearly Top 100 2011||7|
|South Korea Gaon Weekly Albums Chart||3|
|South Korea Gaon Monthly Albums Chart||3|
|South Korea Gaon Weekly International Albums Chart||3|
|South Korea Gaon Monthly International Albums Chart||3|
|South Korea Gaon Yearly International Albums Chart||8|
Sales and certifications
|South Korea (Gaon Chart)||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Gaon Chart monthly number-one monthly singles
"8282" by Davichi
"One Day" by The Rootless
|RIAJ Digital Track Chart number-one song
October 26, 2010
"Kimi tte" by Kana Nishino
- Girls' Generation* - Gee (CD) at Discogs
- Kim, Hyeong-woo. 소녀시대 뮤뱅 9주 1위에 슈주 감동 깜짝축하 (Girls' Generation Music Bank 2 months and 1 week #1, Touched by Super Junior's Surprise Congratulations). Joins.com March 13, 2009. Retrieved March 13, 2009.
- "‘Gee’ Music Video Hits 100 Million Views on YouTube". Soshified. 1 April 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Choi, Dae-han. 소녀시대 gee, 이 트라이브가 작곡해 화제 (Girls' Generation "Gee", E-Tribe is Writer, (and becomes a subject of) Discussion). Today Korea. January 2, 2009. Retrieved January 5, 2009.
- Shin, Su-jin. 소녀시대, 다음달 7일 미니앨범 ‘Gee’로 컴백 (Girls' Generation, Next Month on the 7th, Mini Album "Gee" Comeback). Dailian/ebnews. December 29, 2008. Retrieved January 5, 2009.
- Kim, Hyeon-woo and Jee, Hyeong-joon. 소녀시대가 돌아왔다! “9개월만에 컴백, 몸 근질근질했다”(인터뷰①) (Girls' Generation Has Returned! "Comeback After 9 Months, We're Excited" (Interview Part 1)). Joins.com/Newsen. January 6, 2009. Retrieved January 5, 2009.
- Hong, Jae-hyeon. 소녀시대, 컴백 소식에 티저포스터도 품귀 현상 (Girls' Generation, After Comeback News, Teaser Posters Become Collectibles). DongA.com. December 30, 2008. Retrieved January 5, 2009.
- Kim, Go-geum. 소녀시대 신곡 ‘지’ 공개직후 ‘대박예감’ (Girls' Generation's New Song "Gee" Potential Breakout After Release). Munhwa Ilbo. January 6, 2009. Retrieved January 6, 2009.
- Lee, Soo-hyeon. 소녀시대 신곡 '지', 공개동시 싸이월드 실시간 1위 (Girls' Generation's New Song "Gee" Tops Cyworld's Hourly Chart After Release). MoneyToday. January 5, 2009. Retrieved January 5, 2009.
- Park, Young-woong. 소녀시대, 'Gee' 공개 2일만에 음원 차트 '올킬' (Girls' Generation's "Gee" Does Chart "All-Kill" 2 Days After Release). MyDaily. January 7, 2009. Retrieved January 7, 2009.
- Lee, Jeong-hyeok. '소녀시대', KBS와 갈등?...2주 연속 출연 안해 (Girls' Generation, KBS Conflict?...Two Weeks of No-Shows). Sports Chosun. January 16, 2009. Retrieved January 16, 2009.
- Kim, Hyeong-woo. 소녀시대 인기가요 1위 소감 “창피한줄 모르고 눈물 펑펑 쏟았어요” (Girls' Generation Top Songs #1 Reaction "Without Feeling Shame, Tears Freely Flowed"). JoongAng Ilbo/Newsen. January 19, 2009. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- Lee, Su-un. (뮤직클럽)소녀시대 ‘Gee’ 원더걸스 기록 깰까? ((Music Club) Girls' Generation's "Gee" May Break Wonder Girls Record?). ETNews. February 10, 2009. Retrieved February 11, 2009.
- Lee Soo-oon. (뮤직클럽)카라, 단숨에 2위 소녀시대 'Gee' 누를까 ((Music Club) Kara, Second in Moments; Can They Overcome Girls' Generation's "Gee"). ETNews. February 25, 2009. Retrieved February 24, 2009.
- Lee, Kyeong-ran. 소녀시대, 최장기 1위…8주 기록 경신은 쭉~ (Girls' Generation, A Strong #1...8-Week Record, Credulity High~). Joins.com. March 3, 2009. Retrieved March 3, 2009.
- Yang, Seung-joon. 소녀시대, '뮤뱅' 7주 연속 1위...쥬얼리와 최장 기록 '타이' (Girls' Generation, 'Music Bank' 7-Week Continuous #1...'Ties' Jewelry's Record). EDaily. February 27, 2009. Retrieved March 3, 2009.
- Kim, Hyeong-woo. 소녀시대 뮤뱅 8주 연속 최장기간 1위 대기록 ‘가요史 다시 썼다’ (Girls' Generation Music Bank 8-Week All-Time Record #1, "Have Set Another Music Record"). Joins.com March 6, 2009. Retrieved March 6, 2009.
- Kim, Hyeong-woo. 소녀시대 ‘Gee’ 열풍에 1집 앨범도 덩달아 판매 급상승 (Girls' Generation "Gee" Blast Causes 1st Album Sales Increase). JoongAng Ilbo/Newsen. January 20, 2009. Retrieved January 21, 2009.
- "RIAJ Digital Track Chart: Chart issue October 26, 2010" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- 一般社団法人 日本レコード協会｜各種統計
- "少女時代 - Gee (CD) at Discogs". Discogs. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Ｇｅｅ 少女時代のプロフィールならオリコン芸能人事典-ORICON STYLE" (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- 소녀시대 ‘지’ 뮤비, 나오자마자 네티즌 ‘들썩’ (Girls' Generation "Gee" Music Video, Netizens "Excited" Right After Release). Gookmin Ilgo. January 7, 2009. Retrieved January 7, 2009.
- Kim, Hyeong-woo. 소녀시대 ‘Gee’ 성적, 원더걸스 ‘노바디’ 보다 빠르다 (Girls' Generation "Gee" Results Better than Wonder Girls' "Nobody"). Joins.com/Newsen. January 14, 2009. Retrieved January 16, 2009.
- "Youtube". Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- (Japanese)Shoujo Jidai’s (SNSD) ‘Gee’ album cover revealed (UPDATE: MV Teaser!) SM Town Japan. September 30, 2010. Retrieved October 1, 2010.
- Girls' Generation (SNSD) – Gee (Japanese MV Teaser) on YouTube. September 30, 2010. Retrieved October 1, 2010.
- Kim, Hyeon-woo. 소녀시대 gee, 국민요정 김연아 홈피로 홍보효과 만점! (Girls' Generation's "Gee", Korean Sensation Kim Yeona Publicly Uploads to Mini-Homepage and Endorses!). Joins.com/Newsen. January 5, 2009. Retrieved January 5, 2009.
- Kim, Swung-yen. ‘아내의 유혹’ 신애리, 노래 ‘hee’로 가수 데뷔? (Wife's Temptation Shin Ae-ri, Debuting as Singer with "Hee"?). Maeil Yungaburra. February 27, 2009. Retrieved March 13, 2009.
- (Korean) 디지털 뮤직 어워드. Cyworld. Retrieved January 13, 2010.
- (Korean) "유이 탁재훈 ‘제19회 하이원 서울가요대상 더블MC 맡았어요’". Joins!. February 3, 2010. Retrieved February 3, 2010.
- (Korean)"유이 탁재훈 ‘제19회 하이원 서울가요대상 더블MC 맡았어요’". Joins!. February 3, 2010. Retrieved February 3, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대, 韓대중음악상 '네티즌 선정 그룹상 (Girls' Generation, 韩 Pop Music 'netizens selected geurupsang) Money Today. March 30, 2010. Retrieved April 3, 2010.
- "2009 Melon Music Awards". Melon (in Korean). Loen Entertainment. Retrieved June 28, 2010.
- (Korean)Golden Disk Awards: 수상자 (Golden Disk Awards Winners List). Golden Disk Awards. Retrieved December 10, 2009.
- Japan Hot 100 2010 yearly ends
- Japan Hot 100 : Mar 31, 2013 - (Chart position) | Billboard Chart Archive
- "レコード協会調べ 2009年12月16日～2010年12月14日「着うたフル(R)」 2010年有料音楽配信「年間チャート」（通称：レコ協チャート）" [Record Association Analysis: December 16, 2009 – December 14, 2010 Full-length Cellphone Download 2010 paid digital sales "Yearly Chart" (Abbreviated: RIAJ Chart)]. RIAJ. December 20, 2010. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- (Japanese) "Album Ranking Aggregate (16/10/201 -22/10/2011)" (in Korean). Gaon. January 16, 2011. Retrieved January 16, 2011.
- "Japanese certifications – 少女時代 – Gee" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "2010年 シングル年間TOP100" [Oricon Single Top 100 2010]. Oricon. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "レコード協会調べ 4月度有料音楽配信認定＜略称：4月度認定＞" [Record Association report: April digital music download certifications (Abbreviation: April Certifications)]. RIAJ (in Japanese). May 20, 2011. Retrieved May 20, 2011.
- "レコード協会調べ 1月度有料音楽配信認定 ＜略称：1月度認定＞" [Record Association report: February 2014 digital music download certifications (Abbreviation: 2013 Certifications)]. RIAJ (in Japanese). February 2014. Retrieved March 3, 2014.
- Official Girls' Generation website
- "Gee" Korean Music Video on YouTube
- "Gee Japanese" Teaser on YouTube
- "Gee" Japanese Music Video on YouTube