Life and Work
Iyengar studied yoga with her father from an early age. After graduating from high school in 1961, she began substituting for her father when he was away on international teaching tours. Since her father's retirement in 1984, she has been co-director, with her brother Prashant S. Iyengar (b. 1949), of the Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute (RIMYI) as well as undertaking her own international teaching tours.
Iyengar has adapted yoga to the specific requirements of women. Specific asanas, pranayama and sequences are given for different stages in a woman's life including menstruation, pregnancy, postpartum, and menopause. Like her father, Iyengar explains how yoga is used as a method to unify body and mind, and strengthen the respiratory system, circulatory system, nervous system, muscles, epidermis, and the mind.
In addition to teaching at RIMYI, Iyengar periodically tours worldwide to carry on the Iyengar Yoga lineage. She is a well-known figure in yoga in countries around the world, as follows:
Iyengar has trained yoga teachers in a number of countries, for example in Italy.
- Iyengar, Geeta. Yoga: A Gem for Women, 2002. ISBN 978-0-931454-98-1
- Iyengar, Geeta. Yoga in Action – Preliminary Course, 2000. ISBN 978-81-87603-01-6
- Clennell, Bobby; Iyengar, Geeta. The Women's Yoga Book: Asana and Pranayama for All Phases of the Menstrual Cycle, 2007. ISBN 978-1-930485-18-1
- Iyengar, Geeta. Iyengar Yoga for Motherhood: Safe Practice for Expectant & New Mothers, 2010. ISBN 978-1-402726-89-7
- Mungen, Donna (8 June 2001). "Mastering the Meeting of Mind and Body". Los Angeles Times.
- Rosin, Mark Bruce (2004). "Iyengar Yoga: 'Food for the Spirit'". Beliefnet.
- "Short Biography". Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- Dubrovsky, Anna (Winter 2012). "In Loving Gratitude". Yoga International.
- Iyengar, 2002.
- Iyengar, Geeta (2008). "We Are All Karma Yogis". Ascent magazine.
- Morton, Colleen (September–October 2001). "In Her Father's Light". Yoga Journal.
- Dobish, Patrina (July–August 2001). "An Odyssey with Geeta Iyengar". Yoga Chicago.
- Hollingworth, Michael (February 2010). "Geeta Iyengar in Australia" (PDF). Australia Yoga Life.
- Bacon, Gillian (August 2011). "Srimati Geeta S Iyengar’s second visit to South Africa". Yoga Awakening Africa.
- Iyengar, Geeta (2009). "The Practice of Women During the Whole Month" (PDF). Iyengar Yoga.org.uk. First published in Poland 2002.
- Iyengar, Geeta (2009). "European Iyengar Yoga Convention - London 2009". YogaMatters. Check date values in:
- "Teachers". Instituto Iyengar Yoga Firenze.it. 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2013.