Gehl Architects' project for Brighton New Road
|Key architects||Helle Søholt, David Sim, Henriette Vamberg, Camilla van Deurs, Ewa Westermark, Jeff Risom and Kristian Villadsen|
Gehl Architects is a global urban research and design consultancy based in Copenhagen, Denmark, providing people-first urban design. With Gehl Studios in Copenhagen, New York and San Francisco, they consist of an interdisciplinary team of 50 people including architects, urban designers, landscape architects, graphic designers, sociologists, anthropologists and cultural theorists. Additionally, they employ a network of internationally recognized urban experts.
Architect Helle Søholt and Professor Jan Gehl founded Gehl Architects in 2000. The work of Gehl Architects builds on Jan Gehl’s 40 years of extensive research on life in public space. Along with new research this continues to provide the foundation for a focus on the relationship between the built environment and people’s quality of life. Gehl Architects offers expertise in the fields of architecture, urban design and city planning applying analysis through Public Space Public Life Strategies, Public Space and Street Design, and Masterplanning Frameworks.
Gehl Architects has participated in project in over 50 countries and 250 cities around the world. Clients include Municipality of Copenhagen, Department of Transportation (DOT) in New York City, Melbourne City Council, The Energy Foundation in Beijing, China, Brighton & Hove City Council in the UK, City of Christchurch in New Zealand, Institute of Genplan in Moscow, among many others.
- São Paulo (2013-2014)
- San Francisco (2011-2013)
- Moscow (2011-2013)
- Muscat (2011-2013)
- Christchurch (2011)
- Mexico City (2009)
- Chongqing (2008 and onwards)
- Brighton New Road (2007)
- New York City (2007)
- Melbourne (1994-2004)
- Copenhagen (1968 and onwards)
- How to Study Public Life by Jan Gehl & Birgitte Svarre (2013)
- Cities for People by Jan Gehl (2010)
- New City life by Jan Gehl, Lars Gemzøe, Sia Kirknæs & Britt S. Søndergaard (2006)
- New City Spaces by Jan Gehl & Lars Gemzøe (2000)
- Public Space – Public Life by Jan Gehl & Lars Gemzøe (1996)
- Life Between Buildings by Jan Gehl (1971)
- 2013 (in partnership Christchurch City Council) Architecture of Necessity Triennale from Viserums Konsthall, Sweden.
- 2013 Nykredit Architecture Prize, Denmark
- 2009 NYC Award, New York City, USA
- 2009 Civic Trust Award for Brighton New Road Civic Trust, UK
- 2008 Landscape Institute Award, Landscape Institute, UK
- 2007 Honorary Academician, The Academy of Urbanism, UK
- Honorary Member of American Institute of Architects
- Design Futures Council Senior Fellow
|This Danish corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|