III. Geidorf is the 3rd (indicated in Roman numerals in the official name) district of the Austrian city of Graz. It is located north of the first two districts I. Innere Stadt and II. St. Leonhard. In the east it stretches as far as the Landeskrankenhaus Universitätsklinikum (provincial university hospital) and towards the west it borders the river Mur. As the main campus of the University of Graz is located in Geidorf, many students and professors live here.
It had a population of 23,688 in January 2012 and covers an area of 5.5 square kilometres. The postal codes of Geidorf are 8010, 8013, 8015, 8036.
From 1902 until 2005 the sports club Grazer AK (GAK) had its traditional home ground in the Casino Stadium in Geidorf. However, in 2005 the football section of the club relocated to the new training centre in the city district of XII. Andritz north of Geidorf so that the football stadium was eventually demolished and replaced by housing estates. In contrast, the tennis section of the club is still using the historical grounds in Körösistraße in the west of the district.
Points of interest
- University of Graz: The university's main campus is located here, it is the largest university in Styria and the second-largest and second-oldest university in all of Austria with a total of more than 30,000 students.
- Landeskrankenhaus Universitätsklinikum: The ′Uniklinik,′ as it is colloquially called, is a university hospital run in co-operation with the Medical University of Graz and funded mainly by the local Styrian and the Austrian federal government. Occupying a space of more than 148 acres it is the largest hospital in Europe in terms of surface area.
- Leechkirche: The oldest Roman Catholic church in Graz.
- Meerscheinschlössl: A baroque castle.
- "Die 17 Bezirke" (in German). City of Graz. January 1, 2012. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Stadt der Gesundheit – 100 Jahre LKH Graz." (in German). March 15, 2012. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
|This Styria location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|