||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (June 2011)|
Issue #71 (Winter, 2008)
|Categories||Literary magazine, Canadian culture|
|Company||The Geist Foundation|
Geist is Canada's most widely read literary magazine. Geist has been published four times a year in Vancouver since 1990. The magazine takes its name from the German word geist, meaning "mind" or "spirit." Geist is a member of Magazines Canada and the B.C. Association of Magazine Publishers. Indexed in the Canadian Literary Periodicals Index and available on microfilm from University Microfilms Inc., Ann Arbor, Michigan USA.
Geist is known for its quirky series of Canadian maps (e.g. "Canadian placenames that sound impolite," "The Beer Map of Canada," etc.) and for spearheading various campaigns, such as petitions to have folk singer Stan Rogers inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Geist Annual Literal Literary Postcard Contest.
Geist is a magazine which emphasizes Canadian content and ideas with a strong literary focus. Each issue reflects a convergence of fiction, non-fiction, photography, comix, reviews, little-known facts, poetry, cartography and the Geist crossword puzzle.
The Geist Foundation receives assistance from private donors, the Tula Foundation, the Canada Council, the B.C. Arts Council and the B.C. Gaming Branch. Geist acknowledges the financial support of the Government of Canada, through the Publications Assistance Program (pap) and the CanadaMagazine Fund.
Geist has featured many writers, photographers, artists:
- Edith Iglauer
- Ann Diamond
- Faith Moosang
- Miriam Toews
- Bryan Zandberg
- David Albahari
- Alberto Manguel
- George Fetherling
- Daniel Francis
- Mary Schendlinger
- Stephen Henighan
- Sheila Heti
- George Webber
- Eve Corbel
- Dana Mills
- Evelyn Lau
- J. Jill Robinson
- "Geist on BCAMP" BCAMP.com. Retrieved on 2009-03-20.
- "Stan-ecdotes" Geist.com. Retrieved on 2009-03-20.
- "5th Annual Geist Literal Literary Postcard Story Contest" Geist.com. Retrieved on 2009-03-20.
- "Postcard Stories From Geist Magazine" World Hum. Retrieved on 2009-03-20.
- Masthead Geist.com. Retrieved on 2009-03-20.
- Geist homepage
- Geist blogs
- Geist Annual Literal Literary Postcard Contest
- Geist, the Vancouver magazine of spirit, mind, wit, and intellect Globe and Mail, Robert Fulford, July 29, 1998)