Geist und Leben
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (February 2009)|
Geist und Leben. Zeitschrift für christliche Spiritualität (Spirit and Life. Review for Christian Spirituality) is a bimonthly review published by the German Society of Jesus. Dedicated to the theology of spiritual life, Christian mysticism and the spiritual practice thereof, it is the only review its kind in the German-speaking countries. It appears six times per year, with 80 pages each issue.
Geist und Leben was founded 1926 in Innsbruck as Zeitschrift für Aszese und Mystik (Review for Ascesis and Mysticism). The basic modern concept of the journal was created by F. Friedrich Wulf SJ – the editor from 1947 up to 1989 – who took part as a theological consultant in the Second Vatican Council (1962–1965). Its theological program is influenced by the Spanish review La vida sobrenatural, founded by J.G. Arintero OP (Bilbao 1921) and the French Revue d’ascetique et de mystique, established by J. de Guibert SJ (Toulouse 1920). Its editorial program is informed by an "integrative spirituality" in the tradition of Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuit order.
The aim of Geist und Leben is to provide a forum in which people from different theological traditions, who are interested in spirituality, reflect on the Holy Spirit's action in the Church and in their personal lives. It has been published under the title Geist und Leben since 1947 (vol. 20) at the publishing house Echter Verlag in Würzburg, Germany. From 1929 to 2004 the editorial office was located in Munich; today it is located in Cologne. Together with The Way (Oxford), Christus (Paris), Manresa (Madrid), and Review for Religious (Saint Louis, Missouri), Geist und Leben is one of the great Catholic reviews of Christian spirituality published by the Jesuits.
Geist und Leben offers also foreign authors a section to share their ideas with its readership. It accepts contributions of quality written in English with a view to translation into German.
- "Zeitschrift für Aszese u. Mystik", in L. Koch (ed.), Jesuiten-Lexikon. Gesellschaft Jesu einst und jetzt. Paderborn 1934, 1869
- August Brunner, "Geist und Leben", in Geist und Leben 20 (1947), 3-11
- Corona Bamberg, "Kennwort Geist und Leben", in Geist und Leben 50 (1977), 3-9
- "Directory of Reviews of Ignatian Spirituality", in Review of Ignatian Spirituality (Bulletin of the Council on Ignatian Spirituality) XXXVI/2 (2006), n. 112, 53-139.
- Andreas Schönfeld, "Integrative Spiritualität. Zum 80. Jahrgang von 'Geist und Leben'", in Geist und Leben 80 (2007), 1-8
- Andreas Schönfeld (ed.), Spiritualität im Wandel. Leben aus Gottes Geist. Festschrift for 75th anniversary of Geist und Leben, with a forward by Karl Cardinal Lehmann. Echter Verlag, Würzburg 2002, ISBN 3-429-02473-0
- Friedrich Wulf, "50 Jahre Geist und Leben", in Geist und Leben 50 (1977), 1-2
- Ludger A. Schulte, Aufbrauch aus der Mitte. Zur Erneuerung der Theologie christlicher Spiritualität im 20. Jahrhundert - im Spiegel von Wirken und Werk Friedrich Wulfs SJ (1908-1990). Echter Verlag, Würzburg 1998, ISBN 3-429-01987-7