|Founder||S. S. Vasan|
Gemini Studios (Tamil: ஜெமினி ஸ்டுடியோஸ்) was launched when Thiruthuraipoondi Subramanian Srinivasan (aka. S. S. Vasan) (1903–1969) bought a film distribution concern at an auction and renamed it Gemini Pictures also known as Gemini Studios. The name was chosen because Mr. S.S. Vasan was also involved in horse racing and owned a successful race horse named Gemini. Gemini Studios served as a breeding ground for innumerable artists and technicians for the south Indian Film Industry. The Gemini twins became a household symbol and the Gemini flyover was named after the original studio at that junction.
S.S.Vasan bought from his friend K. Subramanyam a Film distribution business Motion Picture Producers' Combines studio on Mount Road for Rs.86,427-11-9 and renamed it as Gemini Studios in the year 1940.
- 1941 - Madanakamarajan with the arrival of K. Ramnoth, a cameraman and scenarist, and A.K. Sekhar, art director brought many changes in production.
- 1942 - Jeevana Mukthi is their first film in Telugu language remake of Bhaktha Chetha (1940) of K. Subramanyam.
- 1943 - Mangamma Sapatham
- 1945 - Kannamma En Kadhali
- 1947 - Miss Malini
- 1948 - Kalpana. This was Uday Shankar's dance spectacular, shot at the studio, that set the trend for future choreographers. Also Chandralekhaa magnificent movie by S. S. Vasan that was a first for a Tamil to achieve All India distribution and brought excellent returns.
- 1949 - Apoorva Sahodarargal A `costume adventure` film in three languages - Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, and a major success.
- 1953 - Avvaiyyar -A Tamil film that proved a major box-office hit.
- 1955 - Insaniyat -A Hindi film starring Dilip Kumar and Dev Anand.
- 1958 - Vanjikottai Valiban and Raj Tilak - A Tamil and Hindi film starring Gemini Ganesan, Vyjayanthimala and Padmini.
- 1959 - Paigham - A Hindi film starring Dilip Kumar, Vyjayanthimala and Raaj Kumar.
- 1966 - Motor Sundaram Pillai - This was Sivaji Ganesan's sole film for Gemini Studios. After S.S. Vasan's death, his son S.S. Balasubramanyam took the reins.
- 1969 - Manushulu Marali - A Telugu film starring Shoban Babu.
- 1975 - Ellorum Nallavare - This was a flop and the studio's fortunes declined in the 70s and it was taken over by Anand Cine Services later.
- Themes in Indian History. V.K. (India) Enterprises.
- "The Hindu : Recalling what Gemini did". Hindujobs.com. 2002-07-08. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- Jeevanmukthi (1942), blast from the past, M.L.Narasimham, The Hindu, 13 November 2011.
- "The Park Hotel Chennai, The Park Hotel Chennai India, Reservation of The Park Hotel Chennai, Deluxe Hotels in Chennai". Chennaihub.com. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
|This article about a film studio is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|