29 November 1982 |
London, England, UK
|Alma mater||University of Oxford|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
Gemma Chan (born on 29 November 1982) is an English actress and former model. She is best known for her roles as Charlotte in season four of the Showtime and ITV2 series Secret Diary of a Call Girl; Ruth in Channel 4's award-winning series Fresh Meat; Mia Bennett in the BBC's Doctor Who "The Waters of Mars" with David Tennant and Lindsay Duncan and Soo Lin in Sherlock, the modern-day adaptation of Sherlock Holmes for BBC One, with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.
Early life and education
Gemma Chan was born at Guy's Hospital in London, England on 29 November 1982. Chan's Chinese father was raised in Hong Kong and was an engineer. Her mainland Chinese mother, a pharmacist at Guy's Hospital, emigrated from pre-Cultural Revolution Communist China via Hong Kong with her parents (Gemma's maternal grandparents) and younger sister, growing up in Greenock, Scotland.
Following graduation, Chan successfully gained a training contract offer as a graduate at leading law firm Slaughter and May; but, realising that her heart wasn't in the law and that her passion lay in drama and performance, she decided to pursue an acting career and gained admission and studied at the prestigious and notoriously tough Drama Centre London. Spotted at her showcase by British film producer Damian Jones, she then signed to acting agent Nicki van Gelder.
In 2006, Gemma was one of the models in season one of Project Catwalk, the UK version of Project Runway. She was one of the top three models who made it to the final, although her designer did not win the final challenge. Gemma has also been photographed by Rankin for a campaign for Nivea Visage, having previously worked as a model in order to fund her studies and drama school training, appearing in campaigns for Nokia and Selfridges and numerous magazines including Elle, Cosmopolitan and The Sunday Times Style.
Chan appeared in the autumn 2009 special of the BBC's Doctor Who ("The Waters of Mars") with David Tennant and Lindsay Duncan, which aired 15 November 2009 in the UK, playing geologist Mia Bennett.
Her other recent television projects include Fresh Meat, Channel 4's BAFTA nominated and British Comedy Award winning sitcom; Sherlock, BBC One's contemporary adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, alongside Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson which began airing on 25 July 2010 to overwhelmingly positive reviews and went on to win the BAFTA for Best Drama Series in 2011; and the fourth series of the BAFTA and Emmy award winning British sitcom The IT Crowd for Channel 4.
In 2012, Chan was seen as a regular in season two of Sky Living's supernatural drama Bedlam and in True Love, a five-part semi-improvised television series produced by Working Title for BBC One, with David Tennant, Billie Piper, Ashley Walters, Jane Horrocks, David Morrissey, Lacey Turner, Kaya Scodelario and Vicky McClure.
In February 2013, it was announced that Chan would star in new Channel 4 drama Dates from Skins creator Bryan Elsley alongside Ben Chaplin, Sheridan Smith, Oona Chaplin, Andrew Scott, and Katie McGrath.
In 2010, she appeared in the World War II drama film Shanghai directed by Mikael Hafstrom, alongside John Cusack, Chow Yun-fat, and Gong Li and in the BAFTA nominated psychological thriller Exam directed by Stuart Hazeldine, alongside Jimi Mistry, Colin Salmon, and Luke Mably. Exam was also nominated for the Raindance Award at the 2009 British Independent Film Awards and was released in UK cinemas on 8 January 2010. She was also seen in the critically acclaimed  2011 comedy drama Submarine directed by Richard Ayoade, alongside Paddy Considine and Sally Hawkins. A passionate supporter of human rights, she has also made a film for Amnesty International to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Chan has been cast in upcoming Paramount Pictures action-thriller Jack Ryan directed by Kenneth Branagh alongside Chris Pine, Kevin Costner, and Keira Knightley and The Double directed by Richard Ayoade and starring Jesse Eisenberg.
Chan performed in Our Ajax at Southwark Playhouse in London from 6th November to 30th November 2013
|2006||When Evil Calls||Molly Nelson|
|2006||Project Catwalk||Herself||10 episodes (was finalist)|
|2009||Doctor Who||Mia Bennett||Episode: Autumn 2009 Special "The Waters of Mars"|
|2010||The IT Crowd||Ivana / Female Sulu||Episodes: "The Final Countdown", "Reynholm vs. Reynholm"|
|Sherlock||Soo Lin Yao||Episode: "The Blind Banker"|
|2011||Secret Diary of a Call Girl||Charlotte||Regular (Season 4)|
|2012||Bedlam||Kiera||Regular (Season 2)|
|True Love||Kathy||TV miniseries|
|2013||Shetland||Hattie James||TV drama|
|Death in Paradise||Jennifer Cheung||Series two, episode 7|
|2012||The Sugar-Coated Bullets of the Bourgeoisie||Zhang||Finborough Theatre |
|2013||Yellow Face (UK premiere)||The Park Theatre|
- Profile Model Management - Gemma Chan Portfolio
- "Gemma Chan – Wiki – Pictures – Videos". Flixster.com. 29 November 1982. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Randall, Lee (27 May 2012). "Interview: Gemma Chan, star of True Love". The Scotsman.
- Johnson, Lucy Hunter (10 May 2013). "Gemma Chan: the bombshell actress who tamed Jack Whitehall".
- "Actress – Bio". Gemma Chan. 7 April 2011. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Gemma Chan – IMDB
- Project Catwalk – Season 1
- "Doctor Who" The Waters of Mars (2009)
- Friday, 18 Jun 2010 1:30 pm (18 June 2010). "Showtime Picks Up Final Secret Diary of a Call Girl Season". Hitfix.com. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Published Wednesday, 28 Jul 2010, 16:27 BST (28 July 2010). "Sherlock well received by critics". Digital Spy. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- The IT Crowd – IMDB
- "Lacey Turner to Join Supernatural Drama Bedlam". Radio Times. 21 December 2011. Retrieved 2 May 2012.
- True Love - Working Title Films
- Published Wednesday, 4 Mar 2012, 01:02 BST (4 March 2012). "Starlet fever: We’re ready for our close-up". Mail Online. Retrieved 2 May 2012.
- Walker-Arnott, Ellie (7 March 2013). "Douglas Henshall, Steven Robertson and Gemma Chan in BBC1's Shetland - see a trailer and photos". Radio Times.
- Jeffrey, Morgan (5 February 2013). "Sherlock, Merlin, Fresh Meat stars for new Channel 4 drama Dates". Digital Spy.
- Shanghai (2010)
- "Full list of BAFTA nominations". Thecinemapost.com. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Exam (2009)
- Nominations And Jury Announced For The 12th British Independent Film Awards[dead link]
- Creepy, Uncle (4 December 2009). "Official quad one sheet of Exam". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Submarine - Rotten Tomatoes
- Harman, Harout (31 January 2013). "Jack Ryan Photos with Chris Pine and Kevin Costner". MovieWeb.com.
- Flint, Hanna (27 September 2012). "Jack Whitehall and Gemma Chan enjoy a casual evening together in Soho". The Daily Mail.
- Webb, Claire (18 June 2013). "Gemma Chan: Romance? It's all been downhill since primary school". Radio Times.