Genbox Family History
Genbox Family History 3.7.1, showing an individual screen, citations, and part of a descendant chart
|Original author(s)||William T. Flight|
|Stable release||3.7.1 / 16 November 2007|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Available in||Multilingual (11 languages/dialects)|
Genbox Family History is genealogy software for Microsoft Windows, developed by Thoughtful Creations. It functions as a database, a research planner and task organizer, a data analyzer, a chart producer, and a report writer.
Genbox has evolved since its first release in 1993 as a DOS family tree charting application. It is now a complete genealogy software package, with project organisation features, support for data and media storage, source citations, and the production of complex and customizable charts and reports.
Some of its features include:
- Support for complex relationships among individuals, events, dates, places, and source citations: multiple personal names and identifiers, optionally linked to defining events, can be stored for individuals. Accurate relationships between each child and any number or type (biological, adoptive, foster, step, etc.) of parents can be stored. Any number of event types, attributes, and flags can be defined. Witnesses to events can be recorded, along with their roles.
- An unlimited number of event types and source types are supported with a sophisticated, multi-language template system. Event sentences and citation formats can be customized by the user.
- Reports can be generated in rtf and HTML format.
- Multimedia support for images, audio, and video
- Full Unicode support, GEDCOM import and export.
Genbox version 2.0 was released in 1994.
Work began on the Windows version of Genbox Family History in August 1998
Windows release history
- Genbox 3.0: Feb 02, 2003. Included support for multiple names and parent relationships, witnesses, templates for event and source citations.
- Genbox 3.1.5: Oct 18, 2003
- Genbox 3.2: Jun 20, 2004
- Genbox 3.3: Oct 23, 2004
- Genbox 3.4: Apr 30, 2005
- Genbox 3.5: Jul 9, 2005
- Genbox 3.6: Oct 2, 2005
- Genbox 3.7: Feb 3, 2007
- Genbox 3.7.1: Nov 16, 2007
- Format and structure of Genbox databases (.GDB) -Last Updated: 3 July 2006 for Version 3.6.5
- Genbox Family History 3.0 Released, Press release
- Bill Mumford (September 2003). "Genbox Family History 3.0.18" (PDF). National Genealogical Society NewsMagazine. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- Gordon Gray (2004-04-01). "Genbox Family History 3.0". Genealogical Computing. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- Kimberly Powell. "Genbox Family History 3". About.com. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- Dick Eastman (2003-02-17). "Genbox Family History 3.0". Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- Rick Crume (2008-07-15). "Outside the Box". Family Tree Magazine. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- REVIEW:Genbox Family History, reviewed by Mike Armstrong, Volume 21, Number 4, Pages 94 to 97, December 2008, COMPU.GEN, a publication of the Computer Genealogy Society of San Diego (CGSSD)
- Family Tree Charting Software (Q) - soc.roots | Google Groups - 13 May 1993
- GENCMP-L GEDCOM to Pedigree Charts, Program: GENBOX 2.0 (1994), Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995, From: George Archer, RootsWeb