General Butler State Resort Park
|General Butler State Resort Park|
|Kentucky State Park|
|- coordinates||Coordinates: |
|- elevation||705 ft (215 m) |
|Area||791 acres (320 ha)|
|Managed by||Kentucky Department of Parks|
|Website : General Butler State Resort Park|
General Butler State Resort Park is a state park located near Carrollton, Kentucky in Carroll County. The park is named for General William O. Butler, a soldier in both the War of 1812 and the Mexican-American War. The 791-acre (320 ha) park features a lodge, cabins and campground, fishing and canoeing on Butler Lake, trails for hiking and mountain biking, and a 9-hole golf course.
Butler-Turpin State Historic House
The Butler-Turpin State Historic House, also known as the William O. Butler House, is located in the park and is open to the public as a historic house museum. The home was built in 1859 in the Greek Revival style. It contains original furniture and original documents and other family objects. The grounds and family cemetery are also open. Guided tours are available April through mid-November.
Activities and amenities
- Accommodations: The park has a 53-room lodge with swimming pool, cottages, and a 111-site campground.
- Trails: More than five miles of trails are offered for hiking and mountain biking.
- Fishing and paddle-boating are available on 30-acre Butler Lake.
- Ski area: The park formerly hosted a ski area, Ski Butler!, which opened in 1981 and closed during the winter of 1997-98.
- "General Butler State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "History". General Butler State Resort Park. Kentucky Department of Parks. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- Kleber, John E., ed. (1992). "Parks, State". The Kentucky Encyclopedia. Associate editors: Thomas D. Clark, Lowell H. Harrison, and James C. Klotter. Lexington, Kentucky: The University Press of Kentucky. ISBN 0-8131-1772-0.
- "William Orlando Butler". Find a Grave. Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- "Things to do". General Butler State Resort Park. Kentucky Department of Parks. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- Schrage, Robert; Clare, Donald (2006). Along the Ohio River: Cincinnati to Louisville. Postcard History Series. Arcadia Publishing. p. 48. ISBN 978-0738543086.
- "Butler-Turpin State Historic House". Kentucky Department of Parks. Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- Hall, Gregory A. (July 8, 1998). "Ski area becomes Ky. rec facility". The Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- General Butler State Resort Park Kentucky Department of Parks
- Butler-Turpin State Historic House Kentucky Department of Parks