General Directorate of General Security
|General Directorate of General Security|
Emblem-Logo of the General Directorate of General Security of Lebanon
|Intelligence and Security Agency overview|
|Formed||July 21, 1921|
|Preceding Intelligence and Security Agency||National Intelligence Agency (GDGS)|
|Headquarters||Beirut, Beirut Lebanon|
|Intelligence and Security Agency executives||, Major General Abbas IBRAHIM
The General Security Directorate (Arabic: الامن العام al-Amn al-'Aam) (French: La Sûreté Générale) is a Lebanese intelligence agency founded on July 21, 1921 and was originally known as the "first bureau". On June 12, 1959, Decree-Law No. 139, in force until that date, was published. Under this decree the General Security becomes a branch depending on the power of the Minister of Interior and headed by a Director General, as President. On December 16, 1959, Organizational Decree No 2873 was published . It establishes a regional organization of general security and creates more Branch, regional departments, border, maritime and air.
Its full name is "General Directorate of General Security" (Direction Générale de la Sûreté Générale, المديرية العامة للأمن العام).
Its primary function is to collect and gather Intelligence, and to inform the Lebanese government to ensure the national security and public order throughout the territory of the Republic of Lebanon. General Security is also responsible for monitoring resident aliens on Lebanese soil by issuing them visas and entry permits into Lebanese territory, and residence permits and card stays. It monitors the media by ensuring they do not touch with their content, public order, or undermines an institution of the Lebanese state, and community components to the Lebanese society.
Finally, it is responsible for issuing passports to travel documents to Lebanese citizens.
- Gathering Intelligence, Collecting Informations concerning political,economical and social matters,
- Collect informations concerning political,economic and social interest of the Government,
- Evaluate, analyze and use informations in different areas.
- Participate in legal investigations in the context of offenses against the internal or external security of the state.
- Supervise the preparation and implementation of security measures.
- Ensure security cooperation, with respect to different functions.
- Fight against anything that undermines security by monitoring and prosecuting acts of sabotage, the authors of disorder and rumor mongers to compromise security.
- Fight against the dissolved parties and associations secret and forbidden.
- Prepare notices and prosecution of research, travel ban and entered the country.
- Participate in the monitoring of borders as land and sea and air.
Control emissions and audiovisual tapes of motion pictures. Prepare studies on the organization's control written and audiovisual publications; organize censorship of the press and media. Ensure the correct implementation of laws and regulations under the censorship of the media and information.
- Provide the facilities required by foreign parties, concerning delegations, missions, invitations and meetings of Arab and foreign visitors.
- Control entry of foreigners in Lebanon, their stays and departures; control their movement and ensure their safety.
- Controlling foreigners on Lebanese territory.
- Prepare correspondence relating to the deportation of foreign and security incidents.
- Follow cases concerning residence of aliens.
- Coordinating the relations with foreign missions working in Lebanon.
- Responsible for liaison and relationships between embassies and diplomatic missions Arab, foreign, international internships in the fields of sessions and abroad.
- Monitor and facilitate departures and arrivals of travelers of different nationalities.
- Escort statesmen foreigners arriving in Lebanon and ensure their safety during their travel on the Lebanese territory.
- Grant permits for passage.
- Issue of Lebanese passports.
- Grant permanent residence permits and temporary.
- Organize and issue travel documents for Palestinian refugees residing in Lebanon or from foreign countries.
- Grant entry visas.
- Supervise all procedures relating to civil status and naturalization applications.
- Escort the Lebanese statesmen.
|This article's factual accuracy is disputed. (December 2008)|
Many Lebanese distrust General Security because of its close links with the Syrian intelligence. The suspected involvement of former director in the murder of Rafik Hariri and the questionable acting of a security guard during the Pierre Amine Gemayel assassination have not helped the reputation of the general security.
Since the beginning of the second decade the years 2000
The General Directorate of General Security in Lebanon for several years has begun a process of reorganization of its departments, creating new Territorial Centres of the General Security in each of the Regional Departments by being closer to the hamlets and isolated villages and to meet expectations of Lebanese citizens, thus, deliver their documents quickly and to ensure public safety in the area there.
These reforms have accelerated since Major General Wafiq Jizzini held the General Director position and then followed by acting Brigadier General Raymond Khattar (from 13/12/2010 to 07/20/2011), which created a room of the complaints located at the siege of the General Directorate of General Security of Lebanon , this room directly to the Office of the Director General of General Security.
These efforts were continued by the successor, Major General Abbas Ibrahim since he took office in July 2011 in full agreement with the Interior Minister Marwan Charbel. For example, renewals of documents can be done through the Post Lebanese (Lebanon Post) which transmits them to the General Security then go to renewal applicants, such as passports are renewed in one week. The Lebanese General Security has also initiated a process of reform of complaints handling procedures and administrative complaints, thus, better and faster support for Lebanese citizens' requests.
General Security aspires to play a facilitating role in the economic and tourism of Lebanon (tracking incoming tourists to Lebanon depending on the General Security).
- Jamil al Sayyed, suspected of involvement in the assassination of Rafik Hariri .
- Wafiq Jizzini, General Director of the General Directorate of General Security from July 4, 2005 till December 4, 2010.
- Etienne Saqr, leader of the Guardians of the Cedars.
- "History of the GDGS". Lebanese Government. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- General Security Official Website
- Hezbollah Mourns Its Shadowy Hero Time February 13, 2008
- General Security vows to offer better services Daily star October 7, 2011