General William J. Fox Airfield
|General Wm. J. Fox Airfield|
|Fox Field (February 2008)|
|IATA: WJF – ICAO: KWJF – FAA LID: WJF|
|Owner||County of Los Angeles|
|Elevation AMSL||2,351 ft / 717 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
General William J. Fox Airfield (IATA: WJF, ICAO: KWJF, FAA LID: WJF) is a county owned, public use airport in Los Angeles County, California, United States. It is located four nautical miles (5 mi, 7 km) northwest of the central business district of Lancaster, California. Locally known as Fox Field, the airport serves the Antelope Valley region of northern Los Angeles County.
It is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a general aviation facility. There are limited scheduled cargo operations, and the U.S. Forest Service maintains an airtanker base there, which becomes one of the principal hubs of firefighting efforts during fire season. An Antelope Valley Hospital helicopter is also based here. Fox Field is also the home of the Milestones of Flight Aviation Museum.
Facilities and aircraft
General William J. Fox Airfield covers an area of 1,217 acres (493 ha) at an elevation of 2,351 feet (717 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 6/24 with an asphalt surface measuring 7,201 by 150 feet (2,195 x 46 m).
For the 12-month period ending August 10, 2011, the airport had 81,851 aircraft operations, an average of 224 per day: 97% general aviation, 2% air taxi, and 1% military. At that time there were 157 aircraft based at this airport: 89% single-engine, 8% multi-engine, 2% helicopter, and 1% jet.
- FAA Airport Master Record for WJF ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- [dead link]
- "LAPD helicopter makes hard landing". KABC-TV. August 13, 2009.
- Aerial image from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective December 12, 2013
- FAA Terminal Procedures for WJF, effective December 12, 2013
- Resources for this airport: