Generalissimo and Generalissimus are military ranks of the highest degree, superior to Field Marshal and other five-star ranks.
The word "generalissimo" is an Italian term, from generale, plus the superlative suffix -issimo, itself from Latin -issimus, meaning "utmost, to the highest grade".
Historically this rank was given to a military officer leading an entire army or the entire armed forces of a nation, usually only subordinate to the sovereign. Other usage of the rank has been for the commander of the united armies of several allied powers.
List of Generalissimos 
See also 
- ^ Chiang Kai-shek was General Special Class of the Republic of China, cf. 特級上將授任條例
- ^ Généralissime was the title used to describe Ferdinand Foch's Allied Command, starting 26 March 1918. He actually held the rank of général de division, and later the dignity of Marshal of France.
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)
- ^ Webster's Third New International Dictionary., French Larousse Étymologique.
- ^ "Online Etymology Dictionary". Online Etymology Dictionary.
- ^ "Define Generalissimo at Dictionary.com". Reference.com.
- ^ "Generalissimo - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary". Merriam-Webster.
- ^ "Definition of generalissimo - Oxford Dictionaries (British & World English)". Oxford Dictionary of English.
- ^ Jay Taylor:The Generalisimo:Chiang Kai-shek and the struggle for modern China (2009) Harvard Press
- ^ John McGroarty :The Gray Man of Christ: Generalissimo Foch (1919) Los Angeles, Walter A Abbott
- ^ Cover, TIME magazine, 18 Oct 1943
- ^ Bletch Chirguh, La Question Kurde: ses origines et ses causes, Le Caire, Impimerie Paul Barbey, 1930, front cover, IHSAN NOURI PACHA Généralissime des forces nationales Kurdes (French)
- ^ (Swedish) Ancienneté och Rang-Rulla öfver Krigsmagten år 1813
- ^ Joseph Stalin was appointed Generalissimus of the Soviet Union. See: Ivan Aleksandrovich Venediktov, Selskokhozyaystvennaya yentsiklopediya, Vol. 4, Gos. izd-vo selkhoz, 1956, p. 584. (Russian)
- ^ The Daily Yomuiri, 29 September 2010, Kim Jong Un spotlighted / 'Heir apparent' promoted to general, makes DPRK media debut
- ^ The Australian, 15 February 2012, Late Kim Jong-il awarded highest honour by North
- ^ Stanley Walker : Generalissimo Rafael L. Trujillo (1955) Caribbean Library
- ^ Linda Pomerantz-Zhang (1992). Wu Tingfang (1842-1922): reform and modernization in modern Chinese history. Hong Kong University Press. p. 255. ISBN 962209287X. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- ^ Stephen L Hardin, Angus McBride : The Alamo 1836 (2001) Osprey . pp24, 100
- ^  Subhas Chandra Bose: A Biography; By Marshall J. Getz, page 69 ;McFarland, 2002