|Genre||Action, nanopunk, science fiction|
|Created by||Man of Action (Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, Duncan Rouleau and Steven T. Seagle)|
|Written by||Man of Action
Alex Van Dyne
|Directed by||Sam Montes
|Voices of||Troy Baker
|Opening theme||"Revolution" by Orange|
|Ending theme||"Revolution" (Instrumental)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||60 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Brian A. Miller and Jennifer Pelphrey (for Cartoon Network Studios)
Tramm Wigzell, Rob Swartz and Rob Sorcher (for Cartoon Network)
|Producer(s)||John Fang (supervising producer)
|Running time||23 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Cartoon Network Studios|
|Original channel||Cartoon Network|
|Picture format||480i SDTV
|Audio format||Dolby Digital 5.1|
|Original run||April 23, 2010– January 3, 2013|
|Related shows||Ben 10|
Generator Rex is an American science fiction "nanopunk" action animated television series created by Man of Action (a group consisting of Duncan Rouleau, Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, and Steven T. Seagle) for Cartoon Network. John Fang of Cartoon Network Studios serves as supervising director. It is inspired by the comic M. Rex, published by Image Comics in 1999. The series premiered in the United States on April 23, 2010, on Cartoon Network. Generator Rex is rated TV-PG. The last episode of the series aired on January 3, 2013.
Five years prior to the series, a massive explosion released high concentrations of nanites into the atmosphere, infecting almost every living thing on Earth. These nanites may randomly activate inside their hosts, mutating the subject into a monster known as an E.V.O. (short for "Exponentially Variegated Organism"). Though some E.V.O.s retain sanity and human-level sanity, intelligence, and memory and are in full control of their special E.V.O. abilities; most go violently berserk and cause widespread damage, chaos, and destruction. An international organization known as Providence exists to combat the E.V.O. threat.
Rex is a 15-year-old (16 later in the series) amnesiac teenager who is an E.V.O. Unlike most E.V.O.s, he lacks any physical deformation but forgets about his past. He is also able to control his active nanites, allowing him to manifest a wide variety of various bio-mechanical abilities and powers. However, Rex is truly unique because he has the ability to deactivate nanites inside other E.V.O.s, effectively curing them of their monstrous mutations. Working for Providence under Agent Six, Rex uses his unique abilities to stop and cure rampant E.V.O.s. His archenemy is Van Kleiss, an E.V.O. scientist who hates and despises Providence. He believes nanite mutations are a gift and should be utilized accordingly. Van Kleiss is connected not only to the original Event which released the nanites upon the world, but to Rex himself. Though it was never stated Rex may have the ability to turn himself into the mechanical E.V.O. in the episode "Promises, Promises" in season one, this was shown to be theoretically possible when Rex started combining his E.V.O. powers so if he were to combine them all it could make him into the giant bio-mechanical E.V.O. previously seen and mentioned.
Generator Rex airs on Cartoon Network weekdays Tuesday through Thursday starting on December 26, 2012. Episodes 54 through 60 were released on iTunes for purchase before they aired. The episodes "Hermanos" and "Enemies Mine" have not aired yet.
|Seasons||Episodes||U.S. first airdate||U.S. last airdate|
|1||21||April 23, 2010||December 10, 2010|
|2||19||February 4, 2011||November 4, 2011|
|3||20||November 11, 2011||January 3, 2013|
Ben 10/Generator Rex crossover 
On July 11, 2011, the schedule for the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con revealed that during Cartoon Network's panel, a crossover special between the Ben 10 and Generator Rex series titled Ben 10/Generator Rex: Heroes United would be discussed. During the conference, show creators "Man of Action" revealed that the crossover would be a special, extended episode of Generator Rex, which aired on November 25, 2011. The double-length special revolved around Ben and Rex fighting a villain, originally created by Rex's older brother Caesar, the Alpha Nanite.
Principal cast 
- Troy Baker - Van Kleiss, Biowulf, Agent Weaver, Roswell
- Grey DeLisle - Dr. Rebecca Holiday, ZAG-RS, Girl E.V.O, Co-Pilot, Rhodes, Diane Farah, Isabella, Violeta Salazar
- John DiMaggio - Bobo Haha, Skalamander, Architect, Jungle Cat E.V.O., Pete Volkov, Robo-Bobo Haha, Two-Headed E.V.O. (Michael), Hunter Cain (2nd Time), Dark Figure, Rath, Providence Agent, Huckster, Vostok
- Wally Kurth - Agent Six, Captain Calan
- Freddy Rodriguez - Dr. César Salazar
- Daryl Sabara - Rex Salazar
- Tara Sands - Circe
- Fred Savage - Noah Nixon
- J.K. Simmons - White Knight
- Hynden Walch - Breach
Additional voices 
- Carlos Alazraqui - Drill Instructor Hutton, Dos, Lansky, Reynaldo, Senor Muchado, Rafael Salazar
- Dee Bradley Baker - Stork Evo, Foulmouth, Two-Headed E.V.O. (Gabriel), Principal Rothberger, Diamondhead, Humungousaur, Lodestar, Big Chill, Fourarms, Upchuck
- David Barrera - Mayor Esteban
- Maria Canals Barrera - Valentina
- Dante Basco - Tuck
- Jeff Bennett - Peter Meechum (1st Time)
- Steven Blum - Sebastian, Leon
- Corey Burton - Septimius Severus
- Joe Casey - Shades
- John Cena - Hunter Cain (1st Time)
- Lacey Chabert - Goggles Girl, Jo-Jo
- Greg Cipes - Sly
- Jim Cummings - Trey
- Olivia d'Abo - Five
- Felicia Day - Annie
- Jack DeSena - Lance, Rand
- Robin Atkin Downes - Dr. Hodgson, Reddick, Sir Anthony Haden-Scott, Ship Captain
- Sandra Echeverría - Beatriz
- Greg Ellis - Gatlocke
- Michael Emerson - Alpha Nanite
- Quinton Flynn - Beau
- Jennifer Hale - Black Knight
- Mark Hamill - Quarry
- Randee Heller - Donna
- James Hong - Vendor
- James Horan - Dr. Fell
- Bob Joles - Pyramid Guide
- Hakeem Kae-Kazim - Gharun Set
- David Kaye - Shocksquatch
- Joe Kelly - McKelly
- Tom Kenny - Mr. Buchiner, Fitzy Feakins
- Maurice LaMarche - Valve
- Phil LaMarr - Rombauer
- Christian Lanz - Chiquito
- Blake Lewis - Thump
- Matthew Lillard - Surge
- Yuri Lowenthal - Moss, Ben Tennyson, Upgrade
- Jason Marsden - Skwydd, Lieutenant
- Danica McKellar - Claire Bowman
- Andy Milder - John Scarecrow
- Shelley Morrison - Abuela
- Rick Negron - Durango
- Daran Norris - Coach, Burly Jock
- Nolan North - Dr. Branden Moses, Security Guard
- Rob Paulsen - Bouvier, Cap-Com, Providence Agent Jackson
- Khary Payton - Pilot, Beasly
- Luke Perry - Jacob
- Vyvan Pham - Cricket
- Kevin Michael Richardson - E.V.O. Guard, Knuckles, Tripp
- Marion Ross - Carmen, Determined Grandma
- Duncan Rouleau - Dunky
- Miguel Sandoval - Oso Maratelo
- Steven T. Seagle - Beagle, Providence Agent
- Will Shadley - Caleb
- Bobby Soto - Federico
- Kath Soucie - Mouse
- Brent Spiner - Dr. Gabriel Rylander
- Jennifer Stone - Beverly Holiday
- Keith Szarabajka - Black Pawn Lieutenant
- Fred Tatasciore - NoFace, Providence Tech
- James Arnold Taylor - Video Kid
- Frank Welker - One, IV
- Rutina Wesley - Kenwyn Jones
- Wil Wheaton - Peter Meechum (2nd Time)
- Dave Wittenberg - Instigator
- Rob Hoegee - Story Editor, Staff Writer
- Nollan Obena - Art Director
- Collette Sunderman - Casting and Voice Director
- Joe Kelly - Creator
- Joe Casey - Creator
- Duncan Rouleau - Creator
- Steven T. Seagle - Creator
International broadcast 
The series first aired on Cartoon Network in Latin America on August 29, 2010, in Cartoon Network in Asia, not including Korea, on January 9, 2011 and in India and Pakistan on January 16, 2011. The series was announced to premiere on Teletoon in Canada on the same date as its debut in Asia, but was preempted by episodes of Planet Sketch and delayed until January 16, 2011. The Russian premiere was on February 18, 2011. It debuted on Cartoon Network Japan on July 4, 2011, and in Arabic on July 31, 2011. It debuted in Greece on Star Channel on May 6, 2012.
Other media 
Home video 
Warner Home Video released Volume 1 DVD, a two-disc set that contains the first nine episodes of the series on October 19, 2010.
Video game 
A video game, entitled Generator Rex: Agent of Providence has been developed for Wii, PlayStation 3, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, and Xbox 360. The game was released on November 1, 2011, in the United States, published by Activision. The plot involves Van Kleiss attempting to find blueprints to build an Omega-One Nanite. All voice actors reprise their roles from the series. Agent of Providence was given an E10+ rating by ESRB. The game was also scored by the series' composer, Kevin Manthei.
Toy line 
Mattel has produced a toy line based on the series. Each figure is approximately 3 inches tall. The figures are packaged with an ordinary day E.V.O. A line from MEGA Bloks was announced (in 2010) featuring construction sets.
Cartoon Network has featured Generator Rex and Ben 10 in their and DC Comics's Cartoon Network: Action Pack comic books. Two 3D picture books (featuring cardboard 3D glasses) "EVOs and Heroes," a whole analysis on characters and their abilities and "The Swarm," an adaption of the episode of the same name, where Rex must fight insect E.V.O.s that feed on metal, have also been released. For beginning readers, the story "Leader of the Pack" is also based on an episode and features Rex and Bobo being captured and locked in an underground prison cell.
In February 2013, IDW Publishing announced a partnership with Cartoon Network to produce comic books and issues based on its properties. Generator Rex along with Ben 10 was one of the titles announced to be published.
See also 
- 2.10 - Kevin scores Generator Rex!
- Watch and Read: Super Teen Machine: Cartoon Network's 'Generator Rex'
- SDCC2011: Generator Rex/Ben 10 Crossover Special Set For Thanksgiving
- Ben 10 and Generator Rex News from Comic-Con - YouTube
- CN to Air 'Ben 10/Generator Rex' Crossover Episode'
- Ben 10 & Generator Rex Unite, The Season Finale Of Thundercats, And Ahsoka Returns To Clone Wars!
- Johnson, Jesse (March 16, 2010). "ECCC: Man Of Action: Comics Into Media". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved April 24, 2010.
- CARTOON NETWORK: GENERATOR REX VOLUME 1
- Generator Rex: Agent of Providence
- Generator Rex Video Game Coming This Fall
- Activision's High-octane Action Adventure Generator Rex: Agent of Providence Available Now
- 5.11 - Generator Rex - Agent of Providence Game!
- Turner generates licensing momentum for Rex
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Generator Rex|