|Type of site||Personalization framework based homepage|
|Alexa rank||2,366 (April 2014[update])|
|Current status||Online, Beta|
Genieo Innovation is an Israeli company, specializing in personalized Home page software which includes advertising. They also own & operate InstallMac which distributes additional 'optional' search modifying software with other applications.
Genieo Innovation was founded in April 2008 by Sol Tzvi and Jacob Tenenboem, with the goal of developing a personalization platform which, unlike common platforms, resides solely on the user's computer and enables desktop application providers to add personalization capabilities without jeopardizing the user's privacy. Based on concepts of text mining, behavioral targeting and personalization algorithms, Genieo has developed a framework that can automatically discover, manage and filter feeds according to users' topics of interest. On July 2008, the company raised initial funding from private investors and began developing the core of its personalization and recommendation engine. During 2009 the company developed and released its first product, a dynamic homepage that utilizes Genieo's personalization framework to automatically create a personal newspaper-like homepage on the user's browser.
In May 2013, a malicious installer, distributed by Genieo partner Softonic, was found by security software company Intego. The installer masquerades as a necessary update to Adobe Flash Player and attempts to install Genieo.app without user interaction. Dynamic libraries are added to the Safari browser, which intercept searches intended for Bing and Google.
Other versions of Genieo for Mac have also been offered as 'codecs' required for video playback. Testing carried out on Genieo for Mac in June 2013 found that it left active software behind, after using the supplied uninstaller, which required detailed manual removal.
In November 2013, another fake application installer was reported to include Genieo adware. 
In March 2014 Genieo for Mac is flagged by Intego (mentioned above) and, according to an analysis at VirusTotal, by a further 20 anti-malware solutions, including Ad-Aware, Avast!, Bitdefender, Comodo, Dr. Web, ESET, Fortinet, F-Secure, Kaspersky, Trend Micro Housecall, and Sophos.
- "Genieo.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Advertorials: Genieo’s Link between Advertisers and Readers
- Genieo Raises $3 Million in Seed Round for Homepage Personalization Engine
- Create a Personal Homepage Without Lifting a Finger
- DEMO: Genieo takes automatically generated homepages mobile
- "Genieo FAQ - What is Softonic Home?". Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- Lysa Myers (May 23, 2013). "Another Problematic Softonic Installer Brings Adware". Intego. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Malicious Genieo installers persist". Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- Lysa Myers (June 25, 2013). "Another Sketchy Genieo Installer Discovered". Intego. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- "Adware Removal Guide : Genieo". Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- Thomas Reed (November 26, 2013), "Malicious download installs Genieo and GoPhoto.it adware", The Safe Mac, retrieved 2013-12-17
- Detailed Analysis - OSX/Geonei-A
- / Virustotal.com InstallGenieo.app analysis