Gente di mare
|"Gente di mare"|
|Eurovision Song Contest 1987 entry|
|Artist(s)||Umberto Tozzi, Raffaele Riefoli|
|As||Umberto Tozzi & Raf|
|Composer(s)||Umberto Tozzi, Raf|
|◄ "Magic Oh Magic" (1985)|
|"Vivo (Ti scrivo)" (1988) ►|
The song is a blues-influenced ballad, in which the singers describe the qualities of the "people of the sea". They describe themselves as "people of the plain", who are "prisoners of this city", while contrasting that with the freedom of the people of the sea "who leave it behind".
The song was performed seventh on the night, following Sweden's Lotta Engberg with "Boogaloo" and preceding Portugal's Nevada with "Neste barco à vela". At the close of voting, it had received 103 points, placing 3rd in a field of 22.
While not winning the Contest the song achieved considerable popularity, becoming a Top 10 hit in most parts of Continental Europe and Scandinavia in the summer of 1987 (#7 Switzerland, #8 Austria, #6 Sweden)  and was included on the compilations of Winners and Classics produced to coincide with the Congratulations special in late 2005.
Dutch satirists Henk Spaan and Harry Vermeegen performed the song in 1988 on their successful TV-show Verona as Ach, laat maar waaien (compare; Take it easy). A Dutch reworked version, called "Dit was je leven" ("This was your life") was done by Marco Borsato.
- Swiss charts.com
- "Tozzi - Raff – Gente di mare – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Tozzi - Raff – Gente di mare" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Tozzi - Raff – Gente di mare". Officialcharts.de. GfK Entertainment.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Tozzi - Raff – Gente di mare" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Tozzi - Raff – Gente di mare". Singles Top 60.
- "Tozzi - Raff – Gente di mare – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – Tozzi - Raf – Gente di mare". Top Digital Download.