|— Municipality —|
|• Mayor||Hans Toft (C)|
|• Total||25.54 km2 (9.86 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2012)|
|• Density||2,900/km2 ( 7,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Gentofte Kommune is a municipality (Danish, kommune) in the Capital Region of Denmark (Region Hovedstaden) on the east coast of the island of Zealand (Sjælland) in eastern Denmark. The municipality covers an area of 25.54 km2 (9.86 sq mi), and has a total population of 73,308 (1 October 2012). Since 1993, its mayor has been Hans Toft, a member of the Conservative People's Party (Det Konservative Folkeparti).
The municipality is an amalgamation of seven formerly independent towns, all close to one another. The site of its municipal council is the town of Charlottenlund. The other towns are Dyssegård, Gentofte, Hellerup, Jægersborg, Klampenborg, Ordrup, and Vangede.
Gentofte municipality was not merged with other municipalities in the 1 January 2007 nationwide Kommunalreformen ("The Municipal Reform" of 2007).
Population of Gentofte (from 1971 January 1 and from 1801 to 1921 February 1):
- Bakken - the world's oldest, intact, still-surviving amusement park, located in Gentofte (Klampenborg)
- Bellavista housing estate and Bellevue Teatret designed by Arne Jacobsen
- Bernstorff Palace
- Ordrupgaard - art museum, French impressionists, Paul Gauguin, Danish paintings from around 1900, varying special exhibitions.
- Gentofte Stadion - football stadium, home stadium of Hellerup IK
- Øregård Museum
Famous residents of the municipality 
Arne Jacobsen (1902–1971), the noted architect and furniture designer, who built extensively in Gentofte and lived on Strandvejen.
Writer Dan Turèll (b. 1946, d. 1993) lived in the Vangede part of Gentofte from 1955–1964 and again from 1966 - 1969. He documented these years in his 1975 book "Vangede billeder" ("Vangede pictures").
Composer Per Nørgård (b. 1932) was born in Gentofte.
Shipping tycoon Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller also had his residence in the municipality.
See also 
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta, delivered from KMD aka Kommunedata (Municipal Data)
- Municipal mergers and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map
- Demography:(Danish) Statistical Yearbook of Copenhagen. ISBN 87-7024-230-5