|Headquarters||Aliso Viejo, California|
Telogis is a privately held US-based company that develops location-based software to manage mobile resources. Telogis sells software as a service (SaaS) which incorporate location information into applications for fleet owners as well as geospatial software development toolkits.
Telogis was founded in 2001 by Howard Jelinek, Newth Morris and Ralph Mason, as a trunked radio hardware and software provider. Former Novell Inc. Chairman and CEO Jack Messman is chairman of the board of directors. The company was started with investments from its founders, and by 2012 the privately held company had approximately $69 million in revenue.
Wall Street Journal reporter Don Clark stated of the company's technology that, "Telogis exploited the evolution of software-as-a-service–placing data from vehicles in the cloud ... so that companies that own vehicle fleets can track their cars and trucks without the need to set up their own servers for the purpose." In July 2010 Telogis acquired the assets of Remote Dynamics, then in February, 2011 Telogis acquired the assets of Intergis, a provider of routing, mobile resource and fleet management software for approximately 2,000 small to mid-sized business fleets. In July 2012 Telogis acquired Navtrak. The acquisition resulted in Telogis Navigation, commercial navigation software that gives professional drivers built-in feedback systems to provide up-to-date road network information.
Telogis software collects location-based data from embedded and installed hardware in vehicles, as well as from mobile devices. It works on over 40 different hardware platforms from 12 different manufactures and collects an impressive array of data. Telogis also provides a software development kit for users to create location-based mobile applications.
In October 2013 the Wall Street Journal reported that trucking companies were using Telogis to monitor their drivers, using the data they received to either reward or discipline their drivers. This has led some employees to become concerned about privacy issues. Councilman Lewis Rotella of Niagara Falls, New York, stated that, "It’s almost like big brother’s watching you ... You have to put some trust into the employees doing the job," in response to a 2006 contract placing Telogis devices in Niagara city vehicles. He stated further that he believed that such devices can be used to ensure safety, but should not be used for "surreptitiously trailing employees". Rotella also admitted to using the devices himself in his private business to monitor safety. Stephen Roy, president of Mack Trucks, another Telogis partner, also stated that the software would be used by Mack to help manage workflow and not to track the minute-by-minute decisions of its employees.
In March 2014 Telogis was listed among Inc. Magazine's "Build 100" for sustained year-over-year growth. In November 2013 Telogis was ranked among Deloitte's "Technology Fast 500". In October 2010 the company was ranked on the Inc 5000.
- Field service management
- Field force automation
- Mobile enterprise application framework
- Mobile asset management
- Ford Sync#Crew_Chief includes Crew Chief
- Douglas MacMillan (October 2, 2013). "Telogis Raises $93 Million From Kleiner Perkins to Track Fleets".
- "Telogis Inc Company Profile". 2010.
- Alex Williams (October 1, 2013). "Telogis Raises $93M From Kleiner Perkins In Pre-IPO Round To Extend Location Intelligence SaaS Platform For New Mobile Workforce". Tech Crunch. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- Bill Quinnan (January 6, 2014). "Telogis Focuses on 'Culture of Creativity and Excellence'". Orange County Register. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Jack Messman bio". BusinessWeek. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Inc. Telogis Company Profile".
- Don Clark (October 2, 2013). "Dot-com Bust Survivor Telogis Finally Takes Funding". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Telogis Buys Remote Dynamics". 2010.
- "Telogis Buys Integris". 2011.
- "Telogis Buys Navtrak". 2012.
- Lora Kolodny (February 11, 2011). "Telogis Raises $2.9 Million More To Help Companies Manage Fleets, Reduce Emissions". Tech Crunch. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- Rebecca Grant (October 2, 2013). "Bootstrapped Telogis raises $93M to bring location-based data to vehicle fleets". Venture Beat. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Telogis". Forbes Magazine. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Spencer Ante (October 22, 2013). "Memo to Workers: The Boss Is Watching". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Anthony Kaylin (November 6, 2013). "Yes, it is Big Brother. You Got a Problem With That?". American Society of Employers. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Denise Jewell (November 1, 2006). "NIAGARA FALLS: Technology gives bosses view from afar". Niagara Gazette. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Sean Kilcarr (February 24, 2014). "Mack's New President Shares Insight on OEM's Strategic Initiatives". Fleet Owner. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "The Build 100 List of Sustained-Growth Companies". 2014.
- "Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Rankings". 2013.
- "Inc.com Company Profile - Telogis Inc.". 2009.