Geo Super Football League
|Number of teams||5|
|Current champions||Karachi Energy
|Most championships||Islamabad United (1 title),
Karachi Energy (1 title)
|Website||Geo SFL official site|
The Geo Super Football League or SFL is the first proper professional inter-city football league of Pakistan, with the support of the PFF. It was established in 2007 and is the first time that Pakistani club football matches are telecast live on television via GEO Super. The SFL runs separate to the Pakistan Premier League and at the moment, the winners of the SFL won't be declared the official champions of Pakistan like the PPL winners.
Geo TV Network and the Pakistan Football Federation came together in 2006 and began work on establishing Pakistan’s first national inter-city football league to be televised and broadcast live on GEO Super.
The Geo Super Football League (SFL) was created as a way to fuse Pakistan's football talent, with experienced internationals playing with youth, and to develop football in Pakistan.
It would be a new top flight league, and the first time the teams will be professional and non departmental. Instead, they represent Pakistan's major cities. Aspiring stars were selected after a gruelling nation-wide hunt of all aspiring football players, and will make up half of the team.
Thousands of youngsters and experienced players turned out at trials in Lahore, Karachi, Islamabad, Peshawar and Quetta, which took place between 17 to 25 June.
Given the level of interest, the selection committee, which consists of members of the PFF and Geo TV Network, had their work cut out for them. Over a hundred matches were held in all the locations in varying degrees of heat and weather conditions. Each player was given an ample chance to prove themselves through these matches, which revealed their ability to perform in real-time, tense situations.
Each player was individually discussed during the matches and in serious post-match analysis of every match that was played, before final selections took place.
The current champions are "Islamabad United" winning 4-3 on penalties in the final against Karachi Bazigar
Also The finals of the season 2007 ended in penalties
The Identity and Graphics including the logo is designed by Shahzad Nawaz
Thirty players for each of the five teams were taken to camp, and only twenty each were selected to participate. The players were tested for their football skills, as well as their mental and physical toughness. Individual drills, team drills, strength and stamina conditioning were the main focus of the training camps to prepare the teams for their first ever national exposure.
The SFL currently is made up of five teams, representative of five different cities. Each team is composed of national and international players who are experienced in both local and international football. For the first time, the best players of the nation will come together under the umbrella of these five cities to compete for the first national inter-city football league.
- First match - Karachi Bazigar vs Lahore Lajpaals F.C., Friday July 20, 2007.
- Biggest Victory - Lahore Lajpaals F.C. 4-0 Tribe F.C. Peshawar, Thursday August 16, 2007.
- Most Wins in a Season - Lahore Lajpaals F.C., 6
- Most Losses in a Season - Tribe F.C. Peshawar, 6
- Most Goals in a match - Karachi Energy 4-2 Islamabad United, Wednesday July 28, 2010.
- Most Goals scored by a player in a match - Arif Mehmood (Lahore Lajpaals F.C.) 3 goals vs Tribe F.C. Peshawar, Thursday August 16, 2007.
- Most Goals in a Season - Arif Mehmood (Lahore Lajpaals F.C.) 8 goals
- Most Team Goals (For) in a Season - Lahore Lajpaals F.C., 15
- Least Team Goals (Against) in a Season - Karachi Bazigar, 5
- Most Team Goals (Against) in a Season - Tribe F.C. Peshawar, 16
- Least Team Goals (For) in a Season - Tribe F.C. Peshawar, 2
(No third place match)
Lahore Lajpaals F.C.
Lahore Lajpaals F.C.
- Geo Super Football League 2010
- Geo Super Football League 2007
- Football in Pakistan
- Pakistan Premier League