Geoff Morrell (spokesperson)
Geoffrey S. Morrell (born November 1968) is an American public affairs person who served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs, and was the Press Secretary of the Department of Defense. He was hired to the position in June 2007 and departed in July 2011 to join BP in September.
Early life and education
Morrell began his reporting career in 1992 at KATV-TV in Little Rock, Arkansas, covering the presidential campaign of Bill Clinton. In 1994, he took a job as a reporter at WSET-TV in Lynchburg-Roanoke, Virginia, and in 1995, Morrell joined KSAZ-TV in Phoenix as a TV news reporter. In 1996, Morrell joined WBBM-TV in Chicago in the same capacity. While working as for WBBM-TV in Chicago, Morrell appeared in the 1998 movie The Negotiator playing himself as a news reporter. 
Morrell left WBBM-TV in early 2000 and joined ABC News, working in both the network's Chicago and Washington, D.C. bureaus. He was an ABC White House television correspondent for four years. In 2007, Morrell resigned from ABC after seven years with the network to be appointed the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs.  Morrell resigned when Secretary Robert Gates retired in July 2011, having served under two presidents, and was replaced by George E. Little.
In September 2011, Morrell joined BP as a vice-president and the company's head of US communications and in September 2013 became the company's senior vice president of US communications and external affairs.
- Morrell, Geoff (June 27, 2011). "U.S. Department of Defense Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs) News Transcript". U.S. Department of Defense. Retrieved 18 September 2013. "Thanks for coming to my final briefing"
- Gizbert, Richard (June 21, 2007). "London Calling: Geoff Morrell Makes It Official". Huffingtonpost. Retrieved 18 September 2013. "...some of you may remember Geoff Morrell from the big screen. He did one of those news reporter cameos in The Negotiator"
- Sneed, Michael (HighBeam Research, 2009). "SNEED". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 18 September 2013. "CBS reporter Geoff Morrell hit the L.A. premiere of the Kevin Spacey-Samuel L. Jackson film "The Negotiator" last week because . . . Morrell was in it."
- American Journalism Review, "On the Inside Looking Out" by Jamie McIntyre, February/March 2009
- Tau, Byron; Andrea Drusch; Anna Palmer (09/05/2013). "BP ups Morrell, reorganizes PR/GR — Kinzel flies to Delta — Francis joins JDA frontline — AEA goes after Begich, Hagan on carbon taxes". Politico. Retrieved 18 September 2013. "Geoff Morrell has been promoted to senior vice president in charge of the newly formed U.S. Communications & External Affairs team"
Media related to Geoff S. Morrell at Wikimedia Commons
|This biography of a person who has held a non-elected position in the Federal government of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|