|Sir Geoffrey Arbuthnot|
Sir Geoffrey Arbuthnot
18 January 1885|
|Died||4 October 1957(aged 72)|
Born in Havant in Hampshire, Arbuthnot was the son of Admiral Charles Ramsay Arbuthnot and Emily Caroline Schomberg. Educated at the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, Arbuthnot joined the Royal Navy in 1910 and fought in the First World War, where he was mentioned in dispatches and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) in 1919. He was appointed Naval Member of the Ordnance Committee at Woolwich in 1927 and then given command of the cruiser HMS Suffolk in 1929. He went on to be Deputy Director of Training in 1932, Director of Training and Staff Duties in 1933 and Commander of the destroyer flotillas in the Home Fleet in 1934 before being given command of HMS Valiant in 1935. He was made Naval Aide-de-Camp to King George VI in 1936. In 1937 he became Fourth Sea Lord and Chief of Supplies and Transport. He also served in World War II and, having been Commander-in-Chief, East Indies Station from 1941 to 1942, Arbuthnot was made a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (1942) and a member of the French Légion d'honneur. He was Chairman of the Honours and Awards Committee from 1942 to 1945 when he retired.
On 22 October 1913, he married Jessie Marguerite Henderson, second daughter of William Henderson of Berkeley House, Frome. They three children; Mary Marguerite (1914–1999), Lieutenant Peter Charles Reginald (1915–1941) and Michael Geoffrey Henderson (1919–1967).
- "Arbuthnot, Sir Geoffrey Schomberg (1885-1957), Admiral". Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Houterman, Hans; Koppes, Jeroen (2014). "Royal Navy Officers 1939–1945 (Appleton to Arnold)". unithistories.com. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Arbuthnot, P. S-M. (1920). Memories of the Arbuthnots of Kincardineshire and Aberdeenshire. London: G. Allen & Unwin Ltd. p. 313. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Mosley, Charles, ed. (2003). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage 1 (107th ed.). Wilmington, Delaware: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd. p. 121.
- "Obituary: Sir Geoffrey Arbuthnot". The Times (London, England). 5 October 1957. p. 8.
- Brewster, Kitty (2010). "The Descendants of John, 8th Viscount of Arbuthnott".
Sir Percy Noble
|Fourth Sea Lord
Sir John Cunningham