Geoffrey Hugo Lampe
Geoffrey William Hugo Lampe MC (13 August 1912 – 5 August 1980) was a British theologian and Anglican Priest who dedicated his life to theological teaching and research and was Ely Professor of Divinity at the University of Cambridge from 1960 to 1970 and Regius Professor from 1970 until his retirement in 1979. He was also a member of the General Synod of the Church of England.
Lampe was educated at Blundells School between 1926 and 1931, from where he won a scholarship to Exeter College, Oxford. He obtained first-class honours in Literae Humaniores in 1935 and in theology a year later.
- The Seal of the Spirit, a study in the Doctrine of Baptism and Confirmation in the New Testament and the Fathers (Longmans, Green & Co), 1951.
- A Patristic Greek Lexicon, Oxford (Clarendon Press), 1961.
- The Resurrection. A Dialogue Between Two Cambridge Professors In A Secular Age (Mowbray), 1966.
- The Phenomenon Of Christian Belief (Mowbray) 1970.
- The Cambridge History of the Bible: West from the Fathers to the Reformation v. 2 (Cambridge University Press), 1975.
- God as Spirit: The Bampton Lectures 1976: The Bampton Lectures (Clarendon Press), 1977.
- Wiles, Maurice (2004). "Lampe, Geoffrey William Hugo (1912–1980)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online edition, subscription access). Oxford University Press. Retrieved 27 June 2008.
Dennis Eric Nineham
|Regius Professor of Divinity at Cambridge