Geoffrey Perret was born in England and continues to live there. He is an author who writes about American history. His work focuses primarily upon the political dynamics that influence strategic and tactical military decisions, as well as broader political themes. He has published over thirteen books dealing with a variety of topics, among them the U.S. Presidency - including several biographies of iconic Presidents such as John F. Kennedy and Ulysses S. Grant - leading American military commanders such as Douglas MacArthur, and pivotal American military engagements.
His earlier works use the spelling "Perrett" for his last name.
Having served in the US Army for three years, Geoffrey Perret studied at Long Beach City College and then obtained his undergraduate degree summa cum laude from the University of Southern California in 1967. He was also elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He obtained his postgraduate degree from Harvard University in 1969 and then studied law at the University of California at Berkeley.
- America in the Twenties: A History. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1982. ISBN 0671251074
- Days of Sadness, Years of Triumph: The American People, 1939-1945. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1985. ISBN 0299103943
- A Country Made by War: From the Revolution to Vietnam: the Story of America's Rise to Power. New York: Random House, 1989. ISBN 0394553985
- There's a War to Be Won: The United States Army in World War II. New York: Random House, 1991. ISBN 0394578317
- Winged Victory: The Army Air Forces in World War II. New York: Random House, 1993. ISBN 0679404643
- Old Soldiers Never Die: The Life of Douglas MacArthur. New York: Random House, 1996. ISBN 0679428828
- Ulysses S. Grant: Soldier & President. New York: Random House, 1997. ISBN 0679447660
- Eisenhower. New York: Random House, 1999. ISBN 0375500464
- Jack: A Life Like No Other. New York: Random House, 2001. ISBN 0375503633
- Lincoln's War: The Untold Story of America's Greatest President As Commander in Chief. New York: Random House, 2004. ISBN 0375507388
- Commander in Chief: How Truman, Johnson, and Bush Turned a Presidential Power into a Threat to America's Future. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2007. ISBN 0374102171
- Geoffrey Perret Author biography from Random House
- Campaigning For History Archived articles related to the 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
- Books of the Times
- Decades of Sadness, Years of Triumph
- Booknotes interview with Perret on Ulysses S. Grant: Soldier & President , October 12, 1997.
- Webcast Interview on Lincoln's War: The Untold Story of America's Greatest President as Commander in Chief at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library on June 2, 2004
- Webcast Panel on General Eisenhower with Carlo D'Este at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library on October 23, 2003
|This article about an American writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|